Author Topic: side stand  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Re: side stand
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 06:03:36 PM
*Originally Posted by DorMinoR [+]
problem solved guys...while extended side stand and neutral,my bike needs clutch lever pressed to start! maybe it is factory built like this...maybe i hadn't had a problem at all!

Your bike must be wired differently for your country.  If my side stand is down and if I pull the clutch in the bike will not start.  Do you have wiring to your clutch lever?

Offline DorMinoR

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: cb500x 2018
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 06:06:05 PM
yes my bike has a switch right next to clutch lever
cb500x 2018

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 06:25:12 PM
That explains it.  My Canadian bike does have a switch on the clutch lever.  Greece  regulations must require it.

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 06:27:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy [+]
Your bike must be wired differently for your country.  If my side stand is down and if I pull the clutch in the bike will not start.  Do you have wiring to your clutch lever?

Are you sure about that?  Is your bike in neutral?

I don't have a CB500X.  But I have a different model Honda motorcycle, year 2016.  If the sidestand is down, engine off, transmission in neutral, it makes no difference whether the clutch lever is pulled in or let out.  The engine will start.

If the engine is in gear, with sidestand up, I can start the engine with it in gear by pulling in the clutch lever. This is for re-starting if the engine is stalled while underway. But if sidestand is put down again, the engine must be in neutral to start.

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 06:53:36 PM
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Are you sure about that?  Is your bike in neutral?

I don't have a CB500X.  But I have a different model Honda motorcycle, year 2016.  If the sidestand is down, engine off, transmission in neutral, it makes no difference whether the clutch lever is pulled in or let out.  The engine will start.

If the engine is in gear, with sidestand up, I can start the engine with it in gear by pulling in the clutch lever. This is for re-starting if the engine is stalled while underway. But if sidestand is put down again, the engine must be in neutral to start.

The OPs bike will start in first gear with the side stand down if he pulls in the clutch lever.  My bike will not start if my side stand and the bike is in first gear regardless if the clutch lever is in or out.  I don't have a switch on my clutch lever.

To add, if my bike is in first gear and the side stand is up my bike will start in first gear regardless if the clutch is pull in or not.  It is possible to have the bike jump forward while starting if you leave the bike in first gear and forget to pull the clutch in.
Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:58:45 PM by Ruggybuggy

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 07:28:13 PM
The OPs bike will start in first gear with the side stand down if he pulls in the clutch lever. My bike will not start if my side stand and the bike is in first gear regardless if the clutch lever is in or out.  I don't have a switch on my clutch lever....

Iím not certain thatís correct (bolded above.)  I believe the OPís bike must be in neutral when starting the engine with the sidestand down (like ours), but he must perform the additional step of pulling in the clutch lever.

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 12:16:01 AM
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Iím not certain thatís correct (bolded above.)  I believe the OPís bike must be in neutral when starting the engine with the sidestand down (like ours), but he must perform the additional step of pulling in the clutch lever.

From his post on the first page last thread.

problem solved guys...while extended side stand and neutral,my bike needs clutch lever pressed to start!

So his bike will start only when the clutch is pulled in regardless if it's in first gear or nuetral.

My bike will start on the side stand if in nuetral but not when it's in gear.  I made a mistake and said that I don't have a switch on my clutch.  I checked and I do.

So why does he always have to pull his clutch in to start when on the side stand?  I don't if it's in nuetral.

Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:18:34 AM by Ruggybuggy

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 01:50:12 AM
From his post on the first page last thread.

problem solved guys...while extended side stand and neutral,my bike needs clutch lever pressed to start!

So his bike will start only when the clutch is pulled in regardless if it's in first gear or nuetral.

My bike will start on the side stand if in nuetral but not when it's in gear.  I made a mistake and said that I don't have a switch on my clutch.  I checked and I do.

So why does he always have to pull his clutch in to start when on the side stand?  I don't if it's in nuetral.

Again, I donít see where he ever said his bike will start with the stand down and transmission in gear.  That would be a major malfunction and safety issue.

He only said that when starting the engine, he has to take the additional step of pulling in the clutch lever when the stand is down and transmission is in neutral. 

Your final question is the crux of it.  The answer seems to be that his bike requires one additional safety step:  that the clutch lever be pulled in order to start the engine when the stand is down and transmission is in neutral.  Maybe this is a requirement in his country, or possibly there is a fault in his system.

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 03:11:06 AM
Ok I think you are reading what I said wrong.

I said "The OPs bike will start in first gear with the side stand down if he pulls in the clutch lever".  By that I mean that his bike will only start in first gear if he pulls the clutch in.  If he doesn't pull the clutch in and the bike is in gear it will not start.  His bike is different because his will only start if the clutch in pulled in even in nuetral.   My bike will start in nuetral without the clutch pulled in.

Anyhow glad the OP doesn't have an issue.

I'm done with this thread.

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 12:13:38 PM
I don't see the problem solved. The motorcycle must be able to start idling with the sidestand down. Regardless, I pull the clutch or not. This is the international standard.
If this does not work, there is an error. either in the clutch switch, side stand switch or in the control unit.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

victorious-backstage