Author Topic: chain and sprocket replacement  (Read 929 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline motoryzen

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
chain and sprocket replacement
on: May 13, 2020, 11:17:21 PM
Has anyone or can anyone confirm of the chain/front and rear sprocket replacement procedure is the same as the 2018 and older cb500x? 

I'm looking to replace the front 15tooth sprocket with a dampened 16 tooth one and understand it makes sense to also replace the rear sprocket at the same time ( will keep it stock at 41).

Currently about to clear 2600 miles on all stock sprockets and stock chain.  Wonder if I must replace the chain too in addition to both sprockets or will I be ok just replacing both sprockets.  I clean and lube my chain on time every time at 450 to 500 miles and don't ride in dusty conditions.  Mainly 55mph on the highway most of the way to and from work.

Also I was told by sprocketcenter.com rep that he doesn't know of anyone that sells chains already masterlink " connected"/rivted ready to install on the bike.   That seems odd to me.  I didn't want to have to deal with unriveting  and riveting a chain link. 

Your thoughts?

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1186
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:37:56 PM
I would replace the stock chain just because it is not that great, but at 2600 miles I would not replace the rear sprocket unless it looked worn and then I would worry about why that is at such low mileage. I take good care of my chains and my original chain was ready to be replaced at 12,0000 miles, and I consider that early for a chain.

Online motorboy

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1195
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 02:36:50 PM
My 2cents -if it was me I would not change a chain with only 2600 miles nor the rear sprocket- I would change only the front sprocket and try it you might not like it even if you decide to keep the 16t front you will be good for a long time-worry about the chain 10,000 or more miles later
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Steve T

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 191
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
  • Country: wales
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:45 PM
I put on a 16t damped front sprocket on my 2020 registered machine after a little over 1000 miles, after a brief experiment with it fitted a bit earlier (refitted original to get to 1000 miles)

I kept the original chain on, seeing as I'd paid for it and it was fully servicable. With a chain oiler fitted I expect to get at least 12k miles from this set up.

Just my mutterings.

Steve T

 :018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline UnmzldOx

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 435
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:44:48 PM
I'm on my second chain and sprocket set. The original set lasted to 28 kmiles. I'm now at 52 total kmiles or 24 kmiles on the second set and just replaced the front sprocket. I let the front sprocket go too long in both cases. I apply transmission oil daily after my 50 mile commute. I'm changing my method from replacing chain and sprockets all at once to replacing each component prior to significant wear.

Observations:
The second chain, a DID X ring, at 24 kmiles is showing very little wear and no stiff pivot points. I did replace the master link clip along with the front sprocket.
The front sprocket was showing significant wear by 20 kmiles and was fairly shot at 24 kmiles.
The rear sprocket is showing some wear by 24 kmiles, but can go longer.
Replacing the front sprocket at 24 kmiles made a significant improvement in machine vibration at highway speed. I'd like to keep a newer sprocket in place from now on.

New intervals:
Front sprocket - 15 kmiles
Rear sprocket - 30 kmiles
Chain - will look at 30 kmiles for any lengthening due to pin wear. Will see if it can make it to 40 kmiles if it looks good. Will change the master link clip with front sprocket each time.

Conventional thinking says to change all components at one time. That might prove to be the case, but with the improvement in chains, maybe my approach is now workable. The savings is something like 150$ over 50 kmiles. That's not much in the grand scheme, but not zero either.
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:46:13 PM by UnmzldOx

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1186
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:12:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve T [+]
I kept the original chain on, seeing as I'd paid for it and it was fully servicable. With a chain oiler fitted I expect to get at least 12k miles from this set up.

Just my mutterings.

Steve T

 :018:

Given that Steve T lives in Scotland, I don't think we can draw anything but ethnologicall information from his claim that he kept the chain because he had paid for it :).

Offline motoryzen

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:14:55 PM
Interesting.  I always thought the rear sprocket would wear out faster than the front considering on the cb500x ( as well as many varieties of motorcycles) the front sprocket is pretty much shielded from dirt and debris versus the rear sprocket being basically naked). 

*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
I'm on my second chain and sprocket set. The original set lasted to 28 kmiles. I'm now at 52 total kmiles or 24 kmiles on the second set and just replaced the front sprocket. I let the front sprocket go too long in both cases. I apply transmission oil daily after my 50 mile commute. I'm changing my method from replacing chain and sprockets all at once to replacing each component prior to significant wear.

Observations:
The second chain, a DID X ring, at 24 kmiles is showing very little wear and no stiff pivot points. I did replace the master link clip along with the front sprocket.
The front sprocket was showing significant wear by 20 kmiles and was fairly shot at 24 kmiles.
The rear sprocket is showing some wear by 24 kmiles, but can go longer.
Replacing the front sprocket at 24 kmiles made a significant improvement in machine vibration at highway speed. I'd like to keep a newer sprocket in place from now on.

New intervals:
Front sprocket - 15 kmiles
Rear sprocket - 30 kmiles
Chain - will look at 30 kmiles for any lengthening due to pin wear. Will see if it can make it to 40 kmiles if it looks good. Will change the master link clip with front sprocket each time.

Conventional thinking says to change all components at one time. That might prove to be the case, but with the improvement in chains, maybe my approach is now workable. The savings is something like 150$ over 50 kmiles. That's not much in the grand scheme, but not zero either.

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1186
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 11:18:16 PM
*Originally Posted by motoryzen [+]
Interesting.  I always thought the rear sprocket would wear out faster than the front considering on the cb500x ( as well as many varieties of motorcycles) the front sprocket is pretty much shielded from dirt and debris versus the rear sprocket being basically naked).

Front sprocket is also much smaller and that may play into it.

Offline motoryzen

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 12:33:50 AM
Thanks for the good conversations everyone.  One more question for now.

Any recommendations for a speedo corrector?  I stumbled upon this https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/healtech-honda-cb500x-13-15-speedohealer-v4/, but I'm on a 2019.  I'm unsure if that matters or if this healtech unit is still plug n play for my year model. 

I'd rather not have to use my cellphone's gps/coherent app to show my speed in real time and for me it lags in comparison to the bike's cluster gauge's speedo.

Offline UnmzldOx

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 435
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: chain and sprocket replacement
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 03:36:20 AM
Yes. Each tooth and valley of the front sprocket ought to be 41/15 ths more worn than the rear sprocket's, but there are many other effects we can't know for sure. My new approach should make swapping to a fresh front sprocket more attractive since I won't need to buy the whole kit. We'll see if it is a mistake to break from the conventional wisdom of letting all the parts wear together. I don't think it poses a risk if I keep an eye on the chain.