Author Topic: How Harley-Davidson Killed Itself (FortNine video)  (Read 561 times)

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Re: How Harley-Davidson Killed Itself (FortNine video)
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 07:08:16 PM
Dont get me wrong...The traditional Harley is not my cup of tea at all.
The XR1200/x was the closest they ever came to providing a bike that I kikes the styling of but even that could not handle our British B roads..it was like one of those mechanical bucking broncos you see in or outside bars across the pond.
It looked the part but that's about all..more show than go.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 07:31:50 PM
I did a job for a chap who was into Harleys
I said to him about the riders being up their arses when riding and ignoring anyone else on a bike. He said it's worst than that, riders of old Harleys ignore riders of new Harleys   :008:

My brother in law was all set for getting one but me and my nephew managed to talk him out of it. He now has a Ducati Monster. At least it's a step in the right direction  :018:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 07:33:47 PM
That does happen...for sure

Online fatal

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 08:08:53 PM
I've had three Harleys, the last one a 1999 fxdx Superglide Sport, that I swapped for an Aprilia Tuono Factory back in 2005. I have to say that they are a bit Marmite, not everyones cup of tea, but then neither are sports bikes. I love the engines on these bikes, plus they are/were probably the easiest of motorcycles to maintain.
Straight out of the box they're lacking in some ways, back then the brakes were crap, which I replaced with six pot Billet calipers, the rear suspension didn't, replaced with Koni/IKON shocks, front forks dipped too much, progressive fork springs fitted instead. The engine output was stifled by emissions control, 45mm Mikuni carb and K+N air filter installed with slash cut pipes which were quite anti social on reflection. By the time I'd spent a small fortune the bike ran very well, and even better later on when a big bore kit, and hi lift cams were installed.
I loved the bikes but I could not be bothered with the HOG experience, some of those guys were so up their own ar**es. I also didn't want to dress up like a pirate at weekends. I also ran another bike alongside my Harleys to keep me in the real world  :001:
In recent years I hired a big glide and toured the SW USA with a few mates, a great trip and just had to be done on a Harley. Would I have another? No, I think they are over priced and over weight, but a great motorcycle experience.
Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:11:12 PM by fatal

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 10:49:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
Each to their own but not my cup of tea. Fugly looking things  :125:
:028:

Online ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 11:01:35 PM
They are a good bike for touring the US Southwest.

victorious-backstage