Author Topic: Givi Crash Bars Post-Install Report (2016 Model)  (Read 1004 times)

Offline itsCrisp

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Givi Crash Bars Post-Install Report (2016 Model)
on: May 22, 2020, 11:47:31 PM
Hey guys,

I just finished fitting the Givi crash bars to my bike and I figured I'd share some of the troubles that I ran into along the way. There's very few good photos or videos of the system itself, so I took it upon myself to try to go into detail as much as I could.

I'm by no means a mechanic, so it was a bit of a chore to get these on. Still, hindsight is 20-20, so if anyone has any questions about this system that I may be able to answer, let me know.

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
Re: Givi Crash Bars Post-Install Report (2016 Model)
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 01:05:44 PM
Nice job.  Thanks!

:762:

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Pro
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:15 PM
 :763: for the run through of the install.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 06:00:52 PM
Good post!

Offline WildGig

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:52:17 AM
 :762: Your experience was very similar to my own on the exact same bike!  Did you get the plastic badges/sliders/protectors/not sure what they are with yours (see pic)?  I quite like the look of them.

I would be interested in what torque settings you used.

Offline itsCrisp

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:12:19 PM
*Originally Posted by WildGig [+]
:762: Your experience was very similar to my own on the exact same bike!  Did you get the plastic badges/sliders/protectors/not sure what they are with yours (see pic)?  I quite like the look of them.

I would be interested in what torque settings you used.

I left the goofy plastic plates off. They only exist to flaunt the Givi brand. First sign of a crash, they'll do nothing but shatter on impact.

I left the torque values I used in the vid description. These are from referencing the service manual and diagrams to the best of my ability. They may be wrong. I would do the look then up independently just to be safe.

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 08:07:36 PM
Having got them on, have you noticed a teeth jarring vibration in the bike at 70mph in top gear? Quite a few of us have - there's another thread on here somewhere about resolutions. Mine did, and I had to rejig the install with different fasteners to fix. Just to be clear, specific to Givi crash bars and AFAIK CB500X (2017 in my case).

Offline itsCrisp

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 01:29:23 AM
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
Having got them on, have you noticed a teeth jarring vibration in the bike at 70mph in top gear? Quite a few of us have - there's another thread on here somewhere about resolutions. Mine did, and I had to rejig the install with different fasteners to fix. Just to be clear, specific to Givi crash bars and AFAIK CB500X (2017 in my case).

Yes, there appears to be harmonic resonance at exactly 5400rpm in any gear. That would be around 70 in sixth, probably.

The vibration is noticable but not unbearable. I don't make a habit of cruising around at exactly 5400rpm, and I'm usually going over or under 70 on the highway, anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. If anything, the little shake and shimmy that it adds as you accelerate through the threshold is rather amusing.

Out of curiosity, what was your 're jig' fix? Did it really eliminate the vibration?

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 07:30:19 AM
Well, I thought I'd posted it in this thread: https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3078.msg85777.html#msg85777

But I don't see it, only an off-topic bit about a luggage rack! Oops.

I'll see if I still have pics...

Yes - here's how the top-centre joint looked, bolts out, with the bars mounted to the engine. Poorly spaced & misaligned. IIR it didn't look much different with Givi's bolts in.

Here's my modified mounting bolt.

I changed to M6 instead of M8, so there was some freedom, limited only by those small rubber rings (I'd have preferred tube but had none).
And here's "after".

It's not terribly tidy, but it works.
My figuring was that the rigid attachment of the bars to the engine put a lot of vibration into the bars. They won't be rigid or damped so they're bound to resonate at some frequency. And the rigid top mount passes it into the bike.
So by leaving the top mount a bit free, it is less likely to pass vibration to the frame/bars, and also maybe lower the resonant frequency a bit. In practice the bike is now ok at 70mph (I never owned it without the bars so no compare without). If I feel the bars by hand at 70, now they do still vibrate, but less than before.

Offline KenD

• CB500X Member
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 09:48:03 PM
itsCrisp,
Great video. After many videos, much research and all the comments on the forum Iíve decided not to install any crash bars. I realize they offer protection and could save repair costs. Too many negatives, too much time and too much money.
KenD
Lancaster, Pa.