Author Topic: Broken footpeg - anyone else?  (Read 1864 times)

Online CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Member
Re: Broken footpeg - anyone else?
Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 03:14:00 PM
These are the peg lowering brackets we use on the Honda Blackbird in the UK.

The mounting is exactly the same as the OEM pegs and they even come with the extra
pivot pins rather than use a bolt.

No one I am aware of has broken a bracket or the footpeg after installation.

https://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/product/honda-blackbird-cbr1100xx-97-07-rider-footpeg-lowering-kit-2/
Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:21:26 PM by CBRDEAN0

Online crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 02:29:11 PM
Is this the normal way the pegs are mounted ? i follow a guy who owns a nc 750 an he replaced his pegs now from memory when he put the new peg on it was a straight pin and washer with split pin wher the spring hooked into the back of the peg and mount no bolt . Looking at the op photos you can see where the bolt threads have started to chew into the peg side .

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 02:58:05 PM
The normal way of mounting pegs is as they are on the CB or the NC or even on  a BMW GS.
Some bikes do gave like a cast stub with a hole ad the foot pegs have like twin forked side that fits either side of that stub and a pivot pin fits through the whole assembly but is still retained with a split pin.
I seem to remember replacing the split pin with an R clip many years ago ...but it's not a great idea on an off road bike as it could be, in theory, snagged on something and yanked out.
A correct sized shouldered bolt could work but there is a very good reason that bike manufacturers use the pivot pin and
split pin method....it works.
It does not pre stress the forked areas,allows the foot peg to pivot up when required even if there is a lack of lubrication and maintenance...they may feel a bit loose and sloppy when you compare to the tight tolerances of other moving parts of your bike...but that's by design.
Some other areas can be much the same..rear brake lever tends to have a bit of 'slop'...even clutch and front brake levers.
You wont find this slop ( or should not) find this in your head or swinging arm bearings..
Areas where parts mate and are designed to rotate to any degree like for pegs should not have by design a threaded area of a bolt in contact with the surface it mates with...even more so with a steel bolt mating with a softer surface...think,why do hacksaw blades and tools such as a die or a tap work ?
If I lost a pivot pin from my foot peg miles away and only had a bolt as a replacement...would I use it to get to where I could replace the pivot pin ?
Yes..of course I would, I would also be aware that it was not the correct part and ride accordingly and inspect and fit the correct parts asap.
That was a real task to do on my phone !

Offline KenD

• CB500X Member
Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 02:46:56 AM
My right side foot peg is skewed back about 1/2Ē from new. I also sit on the bike to take it off the center stand but I donít stand on the pegs when doing so. I sometimes stand on the pegs after moving off to allow my pant legs to stretch down. I donít ever bounce on the pegs. I weigh 170 lbs. I have no idea how many stone that is.
KenD

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 06:15:09 AM
Just to be clear in my last post here, when I say the 'normal way of mounting pegs' , I do mean the fitting of the pegs to the bike and not mounting the bike using the pegs.
Referring to KenD's post.
170 lbs is just over 12stone.
I'm old enough to remember when seat heights on bikes were low enough for even my 29" inseam  to be able to sit on
And just rock the bike off the centre stand as you explained.
That will be when contoured bench seats were not the norm...they were literally just that...a bench.
The lofty heights of having 6" of suspension travel on your average road bike was not really there so rocking the bike off the centre stand whilst sat on the was perfectly normal.
I do envy people being able to do that on modern bikes.
As to why your right footpeg is skewed back, I doubt it's by design as mine is not.
I did have a new bike damaged by the guys in the workshop dropping my bike whilst uncrating to assemble and inspect.
They dented the tank and did own up to that.
What they did not own up to was the bent clutch lever they had attempted to bend back..and they had.
But..it failed over a hundred miles away that weekend on a Sunday and no replacement available.
That was not a good ride home as it was the first Honda XL500 with Prolink and...no electric start !
So...I wonder if your bike met with a little fall at your selling dealer ?

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 09:56:19 AM
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Just to be clear in my last post here, when I say the 'normal way of mounting pegs' , I do mean the fitting of the pegs to the bike and not mounting the bike using the pegs.
Referring to KenD's post.
170 lbs is just over 12stone.
I'm old enough to remember when seat heights on bikes were low enough for even my 29" inseam  to be able to sit on
And just rock the bike off the centre stand as you explained.
That will be when contoured bench seats were not the norm...they were literally just that...a bench.
The lofty heights of having 6" of suspension travel on your average road bike was not really there so rocking the bike off the centre stand whilst sat on the was perfectly normal.
I do envy people being able to do that on modern bikes.
As to why your right footpeg is skewed back, I doubt it's by design as mine is not.
I did have a new bike damaged by the guys in the workshop dropping my bike whilst uncrating to assemble and inspect.
They dented the tank and did own up to that.
What they did not own up to was the bent clutch lever they had attempted to bend back..and they had.
But..it failed over a hundred miles away that weekend on a Sunday and no replacement available.
That was not a good ride home as it was the first Honda XL500 with Prolink and...no electric start !
So...I wonder if your bike met with a little fall at your selling dealer ?

Top post,10/10

Superplasma.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 01:52:50 PM
*Originally Posted by KenD [+]
My right side foot peg is skewed back about 1/2Ē from new. I also sit on the bike to take it off the center stand but I donít stand on the pegs when doing so. I sometimes stand on the pegs after moving off to allow my pant legs to stretch down. I donít ever bounce on the pegs. I weigh 170 lbs. I have no idea how many stone that is.
KenD
On both my 500X if you stand looking down both pegs are not straight and flat they were slanted back--what I did was remove the peg a file down the peg stop till almost flat and normal wear quickly took care of the rest
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 02:12:42 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
On both my 500X if you stand looking down both pegs are not straight and flat they were slanted back--what I did was remove the peg a file down the peg stop till almost flat and normal wear quickly took care of the rest

That was my observation as well.  When I fitted my new pegs from the BMW I filed until perfect.

Offline KenD

• CB500X Member
Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 10:20:24 PM
Oyley,
Thanks for the conversion to stones. I thought about filing down the foot peg till it rests at 90 degrees to the bike but it doesnít bother me. Itís on the brake side of the bike. There was no damage to the bike when I purchased it although I didnít notice the peg until a month ago. Maybe the dealer used a crow bar to remove the crate and caught the peg. Or maybe he used the peg intentionally for leverage. Hard to say what actually happens in the bowels of service departments. My son rides a 2019 Z650 and just purchased a rear wheel stand from Pitbull. The spools fit perfectly and the stand works very well. Not wobbly or cheap. I didnít use thread lock on the spools as directed in case one, or both, should brake and need replaced. Ride safe.
KenD

Offline Pocketpete

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2017
Reply #39 on: June 16, 2020, 07:28:18 AM
My left foot peg snapped off just like yours. This was in the 2 year warranty period. I took it to the dealers who refused to give me a new one under warranty.

They said I must have dropped it, I showed them the bike, no damage anywhere it dont use it off road. A new ones not expensive but it was principle. You could actually see imperfections in the alloy casting which I showed them.

Eventually I sent pictures to honda and was met with total silence.

In the end I got a copy one off Ebay which was much stronger and eventually got some rallyraid ones. Cheap crap budget alloy from honda.

The rear brake reservoir also snapped off and was left dangling on the pipe. Honda replaced that under warranty, but on the new models it's been moved. Seems a little suspicious.