Author Topic: How to move the stock windscreen from lower to higher setting?  (Read 439 times)

Offline sauga

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
I am trying to raise my stock windscreen to high setting. I was able to remove windscreen but unable to remove the screws that is attached to the bracket (either it is too tight or I am not using the right tool or doing something totally wrong) . I wouldn't call myself a handyman by any stretch but removing the nuts and bolts I am generally capable  :002:

Am I missing a simple step to remove it?

Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:53:18 PM by sauga

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
You may consider this a bit silly but,are you using a metric Allen key?

Offline sauga

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Thanks Oyley. I am using the Allen key that came with the motorcycle (tool kit). Used the same one to unscrew the windscreen and that seems to be the right size for screws on the bracket. I am thinking its imperial.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Standard Honda keys will be metric.
Other screws that may look Philips are actually JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) be careful with those as they can chew up easily..there are not that many nowadays.
I was going to try and raise my screen tomorrow so Ill check mine out.
Last time I did that when someone had trouble the other week with clutch lever pivot screw..mine was seized solid also !
So I'm kind of dreading it..

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
You're doing it right. I'm guessing you're just not applying enough force. The tool in the tool kit is the right size. It's just not very big. Hard to get a lot of leverage on it.

Double check you're turning the fastener the correct way--counterclockwise looking at the head of the fastener, then give it a good crank with the tool. Make sure the tool is fully inserted into the head of the fastener or you risk stripping or rounding the fastener, and then it's a real pain.

When you re-install it, it doesn't need to be that tight.

Good luck.

Offline sauga

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
That's it. It was super tight, gave some force and it loosened with a cracking sound. Missed a beat but all good.

Will take for a ride tomorrow to see if this is making any difference. If not planning to buy Puig touring windscreen.

Thank you very much Jamie and Oyley.  :763:
Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:27:59 AM by sauga

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
*Originally Posted by sauga [+]
That's it. It was super tight, gave some force and it loosened with a cracking sound. Missed a beat but all good.

Will take for a ride tomorrow to see if this is making any difference. If not planning to buy Puig touring windscreen.
A lot of fasteners come from the factory like that. Sometimes they've been painted over, so not only do you have to overcome the force of the bolt, but you have to break the layer of paint. The crack you heard is normal for new fasteners.

Glad you got it removed.

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
Allen keys are ok if not much force is req I find that Allen bits in a ratchet socket set the best thing to use as it gives you a bit more leverage? When I reassemble things I usually put just a light smear of copper slip on the thread for next time. Iíve also invested in some JIS screwdrivers as Iíve had trouble using a Philips driver on the the screws on my previous cb500x £17 well spent.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
My factory tightened screen bolts loosened off themselves, and I had to tighten them up again. 

Funny old world!!   :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline Yuletine

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
When I changed my screen I had to use a breaker bar to shift one of the bolts, yet elsewhere on the bike I found bolts that were finger tight only.  It's always worth checking all bolts when you first buy a bike just in case there is an important loose bolt somewhere.  A few years ago I had a nice shiny nut fall onto the garage floor when I was warming up my FZS600 - I had that bike for 5 years, but never managed to find where the nut came from. I still have the nut even though the bike is long gone.

victorious-backstage