Author Topic: horns  (Read 365 times)

Online crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
horns
on: May 28, 2020, 11:55:01 AM
Hi all well my bike is in transit at the moment and while i have been waiting i have bought a new set of horns along with a wiring loom and a heap of other gear as i am a clutz with electrical . what i want to ask because they are dual horns where would be the best place to mount them and if anyone has pictures if they could show them so i can get some ideas to work with cheers .

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Re: horns
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 03:27:20 PM
Take a look at my remodeling thread, there is also a detailed description of how to install the double horns with pictures.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:08:57 PM
Unless they are made for motorcycles and are 100% waterproof, do not mount them below the radiator facing forward, like in this rather fuzzy photo. This used CB500X came with a loud pair of Hella trumpet horns. It only took one extremely heavy rainstorm to flood and destroy both of them. The rainwater on the highway that day was an inch or so deep for hundreds of feet at a time. For an hour or so, it felt like I was riding a jet-ski as flumes of spray shot up from the front wheel. The Hella horns were built for a car and were splash-proof, not waterproof. After they drowned, I put an original $8 Honda horn on the bike. Meep-meep! I had another pair of these Hellas on a previous bike for more ten years without a problem. They were mounted high up and facing backward, so rainwater did not spray into them. No problem at all.

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500x
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 02:31:20 PM
I use and have stated on here before a Denali soundbomb - brilliant bit of kit.

I use a purpose made bracket to mount it and it still works and has been out in all conditions.

see pics.

Perhaps you adapt your horns for use with this bracket.??
Bracket is made by R & G.com
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:35:00 PM by denislordm

Online crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:18:03 PM
Hey adman just had a look at your mounting pretty good ,i may have to some further mods as the brackets are straight on the horns i have no kink in them ,i had the guy send me a  wiring loom for it as im a clutz with electrical stuff and would probably set the bike on fire ,i think it will take some nutting out where to put everything the loom i have goes to the battery with an inline fuze on the pos wire 30amp just wondering if i splice anther wire into the ones that go to the horn pos and neg will that be ok as the loom is only for one horn and i have 2 as i said its going to take a bit of nuting out ,give me a hammer and nails ill build you a castle ,give me a roll of wire and ill tie knots for you  :008:

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 08:13:08 PM
You will make it.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...