Author Topic: side panels  (Read 418 times)

Online crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
side panels
on: May 28, 2020, 12:00:49 PM
Hi all was watching a guy doing a maintenance series for adjusting valve clearances and he showed how and what has to come off one of which was the side panels , when he was doing this he did mention how difficult the panels were to get of and how the tangs that hold the panel in place were a very tight fit . The way he has gotton around this s to file the holes slightly so that the locating tangs go in a bit easier and are not so tight has anyone done this to there bike to make the removal of side panels easier ? 

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Re: side panels
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 03:37:01 PM
If you pull carefully in the right places and loosen all screws, you can remove the panel yourself. You can then take a photo of the back so that you have it easier next time.
Or you can put red dots on the points with the breakpoints and take a picture of them. Then next time you will also know where to pull and pry.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline Albee

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 04:06:47 PM
If there is any 'trick' to this; after removing the bolts and pulling up on the velcro fastener you will need to slide what Honda calls the 'middle cowl' (i.e. this largest panel) forward about 3/8", which releases the hooks from the body slots.  Then it is free to be pulled off.

There is no need to do any filing which will only loosen up the assembly permanently.  The first time I pulled off this panel it was a bit of a bear because some force is required to release the hooks and I didn't want to break anything, but after you know what to expect the process can be done quickly.  For re-assembly I suggest spraying silicone lube onto the hooks and slots which makes it all slide back together with ease.

If you don't have a copy already, I suggest getting the Honda factory manual.  It is very good and very explicit - well worth the money.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 04:14:26 PM
I thought this guy does a good job demonstrating how to remove the panels.

Offline Albee

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 12:20:29 AM
According to the Honda Service Manual, the middle cowl hook design is different for the '13-'15 and the '16-'18 model years.  I don't know about the '19-'20 models.  However, in the 2013-2018 manual the procedure to release the panel is the same; that is to slide the panel forward.  There is no mention of lifting up and pushing forward like the guy in the video says.  Perhaps that is why he had so much difficulty.

Online crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 01:09:05 AM
This is the guy i watched the way he explained it you lift up and push forward , i think this is going to be a pain trying t get these off .

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 01:18:52 AM
I haven't found it to be that bad. You do it once and look at how it all fits together. Not great, but manageable.

victorious-backstage