Author Topic: Nc750x or cb500x ., Which if same price??  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Yuletine

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Re: Nc750x or cb500x ., Which if same price??
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 10:07:52 PM
My best mate had a 2016 NC750X until last year.  I got to ride it a fair bit as we swap bikes when we are out and about on a run.  The NC has more weight, which negates the increased power.  The riding position is similar, but you feel a little more of a part of the 500X.  The weight on the NC is quite low down - due to the fuel tank being further down the bike.  This meant that the bike tends to drop into corners without the input that you have to make on a 500X.  The engine on the NC is basically half a Honda Jazz engine - as such it is under stressed and is good for high mpg.  It has a surprising turn of acceleration for such a heavy, low powered bike.  It is no good off road though - we tried it.

Hope this helps

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 02:32:15 AM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
So your 500X is more off rode than on--can't see putting the NC in the dirt

I think any bike over 400 lbs is a bit heavy for "real dirt" and I don't have the skills.  I bought the RR CB as a reliable RTW bike (dirt/gravel/asphalt roads).  The 19"/17" advantage is handling and more aggressive front tire selection.  I prefer the CB's shorter wheel base vs the NC especially when used as a travel bike.  There are aggressive 17" front tires available (i.e. TKC80) but that tire is not available everywhere and longevity is on the lower side.  For the roads I take my RR CB, anyone riding the NC with aggressive tires can follow.  The NC is a great used bike to buy if price is right and expectations reasonable.  When buying used, I think it's an advantage to buy low vs high revving engines.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 02:42:33 AM
I agree with you on the weight of a true off road bike
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Scubaguy2020

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 04:14:15 AM
Hi there folks,
Just a thank y'all for all the quick input and thoughts. Awesome to hear perspectives from all your seasoned folks.
thought i'd give you an update. went to see the 500x tonight. the guy didn't put in the ad that he had it lowered. so i'd have to have the lowering kit taking off - the back... and not sure what he did with the shocks in front but i assume i'd have to have something done there. with all the virus stuff happening, getting a safety done for purchase might be a challenge, let alone having the lowering removed. and i'm guessing before i'm done i'd be into 400-500$. so it dampens the mood a bit on that one. i'm an engineer and i don't love when people mod when the manufacturer engineered. i think i was also spoiled cause i was in a dealer on the weekend and sat on a 2019 500X demo they had leftover. i didn't realized... there were quite a few changes? starting with a bigger front tire. the bike felt TOTALLY different (in a very good way). more tall / GS / off road capability type thing. now spoiled. alas, the dealer was asking more than actually on the honda website with the honda promo on right now... and it a demo at that! I don't like it a lot when dealers are as such.

i had seen the NC a few days back... a few mods... lights.. exhaust, but otherwise looked out of the showroom. new tires front and back (at 9k mileage). i assume that's normal and not ridden hard?

i do like the idea of offroad a bit and I know the NC is onroad ADV. so... i'm kinda confused again.

i keep going back to a few weeks... was at a different dealer before honda and sat on a v300 and 310gs - thinking to start cheap. even they weren't that cheap, but i have to say, ergonomics were fantastic - handle spread, seat height, leg to peg... really awesome. (hope i don't get blasted on this form for saying that!)

fwiw, if i can redeem myself , i bought a honda passport sport, last year, first year out!! ...and i can tell you, don't hesitate. incredible vehicle! love driving it every time. honda nailed it.

as for bike, sold on ADV, and now resetting a bit in thought... ADV... size... weight... new vs used... confused!

thks again all!

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 05:10:43 AM
Oh no you sat on a 2019 well there goes the older bikes-now that you have seen the improvements hard to buy the older ones-being I have had both older 500X and a 2019 a few people have asked which one is better-my answer is the older 500X is a very good bike only if you do not ride a 2019-2020 than it's no contest- my way of looking at it is the only thing the older and the newer ones have in common is the name I feel there is that much difference and I put the NC700-750 way way out in left field never could warm up to that bike-power band- gearing just never felt right
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:09 AM
*Originally Posted by Scubaguy2020 [+]
Hi there folks,
Just a thank y'all for all the quick input and thoughts. Awesome to hear perspectives from all your seasoned folks.
thought i'd give you an update. went to see the 500x tonight. the guy didn't put in the ad that he had it lowered. so i'd have to have the lowering kit taking off - the back... and not sure what he did with the shocks in front but i assume i'd have to have something done there. with all the virus stuff happening, getting a safety done for purchase might be a challenge, let alone having the lowering removed. and i'm guessing before i'm done i'd be into 400-500$. so it dampens the mood a bit on that one. i'm an engineer and i don't love when people mod when the manufacturer engineered. i think i was also spoiled cause i was in a dealer on the weekend and sat on a 2019 500X demo they had leftover. i didn't realized... there were quite a few changes? starting with a bigger front tire. the bike felt TOTALLY different (in a very good way). more tall / GS / off road capability type thing. now spoiled. alas, the dealer was asking more than actually on the honda website with the honda promo on right now... and it a demo at that! I don't like it a lot when dealers are as such.

i had seen the NC a few days back... a few mods... lights.. exhaust, but otherwise looked out of the showroom. new tires front and back (at 9k mileage). i assume that's normal and not ridden hard?

i do like the idea of offroad a bit and I know the NC is onroad ADV. so... i'm kinda confused again.

i keep going back to a few weeks... was at a different dealer before honda and sat on a v300 and 310gs - thinking to start cheap. even they weren't that cheap, but i have to say, ergonomics were fantastic - handle spread, seat height, leg to peg... really awesome. (hope i don't get blasted on this form for saying that!)

fwiw, if i can redeem myself , i bought a honda passport sport, last year, first year out!! ...and i can tell you, don't hesitate. incredible vehicle! love driving it every time. honda nailed it.

as for bike, sold on ADV, and now resetting a bit in thought... ADV... size... weight... new vs used... confused!

thks again all!

Don't write off the older CB500X yet.  If you like the 2019, why not Rally Raid the 2015 CB500X?  More capable in every way compared to the stock 2019 model.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 03:28:11 PM
Given that this will be your first bike and you should plan on getting other ones, I would think of this bike as the bike you hone your riding skills in and one that helps you know better what kind of bike you like. Get one that fits well so you can concentrate on riding, and if you sell it in a year for a different one, you will be in very good company!

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Scubaguy2020 [+]
Hi there folks,

thks again all!

Hi Scuba' - did you ask the CB500X owner how they had lowered their bike? A lot of people simply rotate the rear suspension linkage plates (which drops it about an inch) and slide the forks through the triples a corresponding amount, so you could revert it to stock height for $0. Even if they fitted a longer dog-bone (one aftermarket way to lower the rear) you would hope they also had kept the OEM part you could swap back, again something that is easy to do at no cost.

I doubt they have fitted a shorter shock or messed with the fork internals unless it has been significantly lowered... and if it has, then the suspension travel will have had to be severely compromised otherwise it would be bellying-out everywhere.

fwiw. The NC is a nice bike if you stay mainly on the road (or easy gravel roads) - and is better for two-up riding space wise... however, it is long and low and a lot more heavy than the CB in comparison. The CB is a far more fun solo bike, and as Manray suggests, an earlier example is an affordable way to turn it into accomplished all-terrain bike if that is your goal.

Jenny x

Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:28:30 PM by JMo
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 08:40:16 PM
I have heard this 'half a Jazz engine' story before a number of times and other than someone starting the story about this I have never seen any evidence of this, does anyone have any?

Offline Yuletine

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X