Author Topic: SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO Micro Tank Bag Install - 2016 CB500X  (Read 500 times)

Offline d_j_c

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a few photos of my new tank bag and the install process.  I am in Canada and ordered my stuff from Fortnine. 

The parts I ordered were the following:
SW-Motech Quick Lock EVO Micro Tank Bag - BC.TRS.00.110.20002; and
SW-Motech Quick Lock EVO Tank Ring - TRT.00.640.21200/B

As you will see in the pictures below, the tank ring moves the mounting point for the tank bag from the top of the gas cap to further down the body of the tank.  I preferred this to having the bag so far up on the tank.  It is important to note that the Tank Ring specifies 2018/2019 model CB500X's and SW-Motech's site says it will not fit the 2016 models.  After some research on Honda OEM part numbers (gas cap and gas tank) and finding no significant differences, I decided to take a chance and order the tank ring anyway.   

I am happy to report that the tank ring fit just fine without any modifications whatsoever.  I can't speak to earlier models, but for 2016 onward, this ring will work. 

Now for a few pics:

The tank bag comes with a nice pouch for storage:

The Tank Ring kit includes everything you need to complete the install:

The installation of the Tank Ring is straightforward: install the rubber bumpers into the tank attachment (requires a little patience and finesse); install the locking base onto the tank attachment (4 bolts); remove the lower 4 bolts from your gas cap ring; install the spacers, the tank ring attachment piece and use the 4 bolts (two long and two short) included with the tank ring kit.  Your finished product will look like this:

Next comes mounting the base plate to the bottom of your tank bag.  This is a little daunting given that you have to drill holes into your brand new tank bag.  Fortunately the included template makes this a breeze provided you take your time and make sure everything is lined up each time you drill a new hole.  Before drilling, place the mounting plate onto the bike and then place the tank bag on it to find your preferred mounting location.  The recessed channel in the bag offers a fair bit of adjustment.  I found my preferred place was at its highest setting which made things easy. 

I used the included drill bit, which at first glance looks too big for what it's doing but I trusted SW-Motech would know their business.  Before you drill, make sure to move the inside cover out of the way and tuck it beside the interior mounting base.  A small piece of wood should be used inside the bag when drilling to ensure the drill bit doesn't go too far and hit the interior material of the bag. I didn't have a piece of wood laying around so I used an old book.  I used a screwdriver to clear the plastic burrs and a lighter to seal the nylon material frayed by the drill bit. 

Once the holes are drilled, installing the base plate is easy: simply put it in place and use the 4 included bolts to secure it.  I used Loctite on all bolts (tank ring and tank bag) and it is not included in the kit. 

Then put the inner cover back in place:

Finished product:

Overall, I am very pleased with the bag.  I only wanted it to carry a few things on my rides.  It is expandable from 2.5L to 5L and includes a rain cover:

Attaching the bag to the bike it is straightforward: simply line it up and push down.  There are two locking points in the front and two in the back of the mount and you need to make sure all four are engaged.  Removing the bag is equally simple: simply pull the tether located under the bag.  I went for a ride with it last night and it is completely unobtrusive.  There was no rattling from the tank mount.  While the locking ring was pricy at approximately $80 CDN, it will work with SW-Motech's full line of EVO bags and should I need a larger bag in the future, it will be easy to add. 

There are options to set the bag up to be locked to the bike, but from what I've read, a thief would simply need to disengage the mount and give a firm tug to overcome the cable.  If I stop somewhere, the bag will simply come with me.   It has a carry handle and won't be a burden to transport around. 

Overall, my initial impressions are positive with this bag, its mounting system, and the install process. 
Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:42:05 PM by d_j_c

Online Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Great post.

Offline d_j_c

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Thanks Oyley! 

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Nice. Thanks for the photos.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Nice post! I can't tell from the pictures, but can you add gas without removing the bag?

Offline d_j_c

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
No worries Twempie.

Thanks ewryly, almost, but not quite.  I can get my key into the gas cap but when you open it, the key hits the bag.  You can't remove the key with the gas cap open.  Fortunately, pulling the bag off is simple and with its small size, setting it in my lap while filling shouldn't be a problem as I prefer to fill the bike while sitting on it.  I'll likely grab some gas later today and post how it goes.   

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Word to the wise... even if you're able to fill up with the bag in place, move it out of the way just in case.

The smell of petrol never goes away from expensive luggage. I know this first hand.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
*Originally Posted by d_j_c [+]
No worries Twempie.

Thanks ewryly, almost, but not quite.  I can get my key into the gas cap but when you open it, the key hits the bag.  You can't remove the key with the gas cap open.  Fortunately, pulling the bag off is simple and with its small size, setting it in my lap while filling shouldn't be a problem as I prefer to fill the bike while sitting on it.  I'll likely grab some gas later today and post how it goes.   

That makes sense. I forgot that the key stays in the cap.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
Word to the wise... even if you're able to fill up with the bag in place, move it out of the way just in case.

The smell of petrol never goes away from expensive luggage. I know this first hand.

Good point. And a drop off gas produces a lot of stink.

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
True shaggy dog story from a lifetime ago...

I was filling up my old BMW Funduro at a gas station in the middle of nowhere, in one of the Western desert states. The shutoff valve on the gas pump didn't register and fuel spilled over both of my tank saddle-bags (bike was on center stand).

I only kept soft/unbreakable items in those bags in case of a drop. I had MREs in the bag that soaked up most of the spill. The MREs were vacuum sealed, and were also in a sealed plastic bag, but I could still taste gas when I cooked the first MRE - some would say the gas would improve the taste - and had to throw all of the meals away.

The tank saddle-bags were disposed of shortly afterwards. The tank bag was on the bike's seat and survived the incident, and now I usually keep all of my bikes on their side-stands when I'm filling up, sometimes I remember to have a blue shop towel handy in my jacket pocket.

I don't intend to hijack this thread, but house arrest has made me want to talk to strangers.

YMMV.

victorious-backstage