Author Topic: Shifter Challenges  (Read 348 times)

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Shifter Challenges
on: June 04, 2020, 11:34:03 AM
I just bought a pair of Gaerne SG12 boots, looking to up my protection level. The boots are great but I can't really see any way that I will be able to get the toe under the shift lever. Adjusted fully with PivotPez, it's still not even close. Anybody been down this road? For now I guess I'll try to get used to shifting with the side of the boot, using the sole. It's awkward though.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Re: Shifter Challenges
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 01:36:53 PM
You’ve adjusted the gear lever fully? My Sidi Adventures took some getting used to and had to adjust the lever a fair way up. Not at the max though.

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 01:52:14 PM
Yes, it's adjusted all the way. I think the problem is exacerbated by the PivotPegz, they are pretty wide.
Thanks for the response

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:10:18 PM
Being I have size 13 foot and dealing with bikes made for a size 6-7- I'm always having trouble getting the shifter better on any bike I buy- I think your right about your pegs being part of the problem that and the fact the 500X pivots backwards just makes it worse- if you have adjusted the shifter all the way up and still not enough you can remove the bolt on the engine on move the shifter one spline up--CAUTION-- if you do this do not reuse the stock bolt- first you will find it's very tight and needs to be tighten alot to keep the arm from sliding on the shaft replace with a hardened bolt of 9 or ten-if you go back years on this site you you find people that have that bolt snap after reuseing it-on my old X after going up one spline I caught the bolt just as it was going soft about to snap-I replaced it with a 10 hardness allen head and used one 5mm longer just incase it would snap I could grab the end with a small vicegrip
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:15:37 PM
Well with some humility I found that I in fact did not have the shifter fully lengthened. It is now, and while the shift technique is different, it works. I went on a short ride to see how the boots felt on the adjusted shifter and all is good. I can sorta roll my toe in from the outside of the shifter and it pushes up. I can't feel it through the plastic, but I didn't miss any shifts. Downshifting requires lifting my foot off the peg, but it's not a problem.

Thanks japes1275 and motorboy for your replies.

Cheers

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:50:09 PM
I found exactly the same issue when I fitted the Rally Raid pegs and one pair of Trials boots,so I put my old Sidi Boots on that had more flex,the RR pegs are slightly higher so had to get my toe lower under the shift.
I lived with it for that ride than made an adjustment to the linkage so all is fine,I'll get used to it like it as then try the Trials boots again.
Same with the brake,its a bit low but I am getting used to it now,so will carry on with as is for now.

I will add to the above,the Rally Raid pegs are one of my favourite 'farkles' on my bike,great quality  and very practical..just need to drop some coin on their suspension upgrade at some point.
Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:11:42 PM by Oyley

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:23:49 PM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
I just bought a pair of Gaerne SG12 boots, looking to up my protection level. The boots are great but I can't really see any way that I will be able to get the toe under the shift lever. Adjusted fully with PivotPez, it's still not even close. Anybody been down this road? For now I guess I'll try to get used to shifting with the side of the boot, using the sole. It's awkward though.

What boots were you wearing before you got the SG12s?

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 11:27:33 PM
I've got a predessor to the Alpinstar Corozal Adventure and a pair of 12 year old, 200,000+ (two sets of soles) Aerostich Combat Tourers. Just looking for better lower leg/foot protection. I think I found it 😁.
Cheers