Author Topic: coolant level 2015  (Read 4588 times)

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Re: coolant level 2015
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 11:37:48 PM
Hi guys grumpyzuma yea you are probably right even though the bike has only done 3000 km in the last 4 years probably just parked up , the chain looked fairly dry so attended to that should really go the whole hog and do oil change as well as the last change was done on 2616 km or so the log book says but who knows the dealer may have even done a change as the oil looks pretty clean . today is about getting some decent mirrors so as it will pass the inspection on wednesday , will get some new coolant ( the one thing i didnt think of) if the bloody rain eases up maybe even an oil change might even try to fit the bark busters . I did watch a fella last night here in aus who showed an easy way to do a coolant change not real hard at all even though with big boof aussie hands it is a little bit difficult to get at anything .

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 09:00:58 AM
Hi all well i wasnt expecting to have to do it but i removed the whole side panel today ,those lugs are tight . I have had this happen now on two panels the velcro comes away from the panel and stays stuck to the other piece . I suppose  living in the goldcoast sun didn't do them any good . Now i have checked the radiator and it does have fluid in it although the overflow bottle doesn't seem to ,the color of the coolant is blue is this standard honda coolant ? Being as it is a rather miserable day here i shall leave draining the coolant till a better day and also once i find the drain bolt wearever it is hiding . I still cant get at that b****y overflow bottle and its driving me nuts looks like i will have to take the sprocket cover off and see if i can get at it through there anyway thats my day .

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 03:05:12 PM
*Originally Posted by crispenator [+]
Hi all well i wasnt expecting to have to do it but i removed the whole side panel today ,those lugs are tight . I have had this happen now on two panels the velcro comes away from the panel and stays stuck to the other piece . I suppose  living in the goldcoast sun didn't do them any good . Now i have checked the radiator and it does have fluid in it although the overflow bottle doesn't seem to ,the color of the coolant is blue is this standard honda coolant ? Being as it is a rather miserable day here i shall leave draining the coolant till a better day and also once i find the drain bolt wearever it is hiding . I still cant get at that b****y overflow bottle and its driving me nuts looks like i will have to take the sprocket cover off and see if i can get at it through there anyway thats my day .
Why do you want to get to the overflow bottle
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 01:58:39 PM
The main reason i want to get at the overflow s tomark the high and low points on it very difficult to see them ,i did take the sprocket cover of as in the manual the drain bolt is behind it an the other is on the block ,never got to the overflow bottle just to hard but change all the coolant and red seems to be seen better ,flushed the system with disstiled water until it ran clear then replaced the coolant .

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 02:38:50 PM
If the level is hard to see shine a flashlight from the front of the tank--you'll see it easy
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 02:50:47 AM
If you overfill it, it'll piss out some of it from the spill tube when it's hot. No harm,  unlike overfilling the oil.

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 11:10:42 AM
I have had a look and although it is overfull nothing has come out when the engine ha reached operating temp i did consider sucking some of it out through the resevoir fill tube but havent as yet .

Offline spirit986

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 09:22:37 PM
I have had this happen now on two panels the velcro comes away from the panel and stays stuck to the other piece . I suppose  living in the goldcoast sun didn't do them any good.
1. The velcro may stick to the other peace yes, happened to me too.

Now i have checked the radiator and it does have fluid in it although the overflow bottle doesn't seem to ,the color of the coolant is blue is this standard honda coolant ?

2. On my 2019 they used blue coolant so I guess Honda likes the blue stuff too.

Anyway, I purchased a brand new 2019 model and after 2500km I raised the bike on a stand to just visually inspect it after the winter when I noticed the coolant level is very much bellow the minimum, the blue liquid was just barely peaking out from the coolant hose. I added some distilled water to counter this and I plan to report this to the Honda service during the next regular maintenance. Probably the bike likes to run like a camel and she keeps the coolant level bellow the minimum ..  :084:

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 01:52:31 AM
Hi spirit986 you may well be right about the coolant color but i did a change on my car about 2-3 years ago and still had some in the container out side that had just been sitting ,when i picked it up it had gone from green to blue which is what made me think that it was old as i believe the bike had been laid up for a couple of years ,with the velcro i used some cheap contact cement and it was fixed havent come of since.

victorious-backstage