Author Topic: Replace Chain  (Read 988 times)

Offline Sorg67

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Re: Replace Chain
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 07:19:27 PM
Decided not to replace bearings for now.  Got the bike back together and took it for a test ride.  New chain makes a very noticeable difference.  I am surprised at how much of a difference.  Smoother, especially shifting.

Still a little nervous about the clip master link.  Lots of people say it is fine as long as you put in on correctly (especially in the right direction).  I did that right and it clicks in really solidly so I am pretty confident it is on there properly.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 10:44:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]
Decided not to replace bearings for now.  Got the bike back together and took it for a test ride.  New chain makes a very noticeable difference.  I am surprised at how much of a difference.  Smoother, especially shifting.

Still a little nervous about the clip master link.  Lots of people say it is fine as long as you put in on correctly (especially in the right direction).  I did that right and it clicks in really solidly so I am pretty confident it is on there properly.
Did you have to press on the side plate or did it just slip on--makes a difference
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Sorg67

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 01:25:26 AM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
Did you have to press on the side plate or did it just slip on--makes a difference

I had to press the side plate.  I used a C clamp with a nut to allow the post to protrude.  Then I hung the closed end on the front post and swiveled the open end over the back post.  I used a slotted screw driver to get the open end over the post and it seems to clip right in.

Seems very secure, but I am still considering buying a rivet tool and replacing the clip master link with a riveted master link.

Although it seems that you have to mash the rivet down just the right amount to get it installed properly. 

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 01:43:12 AM
My current take on chain life.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,9616.msg96102.html#msg96102

A Dremel type hand grinder worked fine to remove the original chain. Just grind down two pins, then punch out enough to swing the top link plate clear.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 08:32:54 AM
Chain clips are fine.
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 04:34:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]
I had to press the side plate.  I used a C clamp with a nut to allow the post to protrude.  Then I hung the closed end on the front post and swiveled the open end over the back post.  I used a slotted screw driver to get the open end over the post and it seems to clip right in.

Seems very secure, but I am still considering buying a rivet tool and replacing the clip master link with a riveted master link.

Although it seems that you have to mash the rivet down just the right amount to get it installed properly.
the reason I asked is if the clip would fly off it would take a long while for the side plate to slide off-if you still want to use the clip type a little trick is to degrease the area and put a dab of hot glue on each stud over the clip- nothing else works as good-I have seen people use --instead of clips-- E clips C clips and  O rings-all fail--but safety wire does work---in the end a rivet link is still the best and safest way to go
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:04 PM
I'm not a fan of clips on road bikes, but I respect the opinion of guys who use them with no issues.

I did have to use one for a short time while I waited on a replacement master link. I safety wired it and it would have probably been fine for the life of the chain.
But I changed it anyway  :006:
Cheers
Just damn happy to be here...