Author Topic: 2019 RR L1 fork upgrade - What Oil ?  (Read 321 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: 2019 RR L1 fork upgrade - What Oil ?
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:13 AM
*Originally Posted by CBRDEAN0 [+]
Jenny - another question if I may.

I have just fitted the L1 suspension to my partners 2019 500x

The rear shock with 100n spring is about right at 35mm sag.

Unfortunately the front 5.0n spring only gives 20mm sag even with the pre-load adjusters backed right off.
Is there anything that can be done to get the sag closer to 35mm or better still 40mm ?

Hi CBR' - if you've just fitted the new fork springs, I would wait a few hundred miles at least for them to bed-in a bit (if you consider a fork spring is a much smaller diameter/more tightly wound, it won't have quite the same compliance as a shock spring initially), and there is every chance you'll find the rider sag has increased a little, to the extent you might want to add a little preload on the adjusters.

However, also keep in mind that while 35-40mm rider sag (around 25-30%) would be the typical target for this kind of bike, the LEVEL 1 [standard travel] front end isn't especially long-travel of course, so I wouldn't worry to much about the number, more a seat-of the pants feel once you're/they're riding.

note. for info. - also keep in mind that 5.0 linear spring rate is slightly stiffer than the initial part of the OEM progressive rate springs, but not as stiff/harsh as the latter part - which is why when you're actually riding the bike with the RR springs, it feels smoother/linear throughout it's travel range. Also keep in mind that while when the rider is seated there may not be as much rider sag on the front, if they are standing and leaning forward (ie. in an 'off-road' stance), you'll also be loaded the front end more heavily too.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 04:39:09 PM
also keep in mind that there is no standard on fork oil viscosity so two different companys both making a 10w might not be the same-there some excellent charts on the web showing every company and the true viscosity -can't remember where I found it but it's there
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 04:54:41 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
also keep in mind that there is no standard on fork oil viscosity so two different companys both making a 10w might not be the same-there some excellent charts on the web showing every company and the true viscosity -can't remember where I found it but it's there

Cheers - I already have the cST charts covering the oils and generally stick with the Motul Factory Line oils.
The Motul 5w is 18 cST which is pretty close to the 21 cST of the recommended motorex oil.
Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:57:47 PM by CBRDEAN0

victorious-backstage