Author Topic: Water pump oil leak  (Read 10326 times)

Offline Halfricatwin

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Water pump oil leak
Reply #120 on: October 19, 2020, 04:11:18 PM
Hi Neox - an interesting suggestion. May have to give it a whirl at some point down the road - like when I'm out of my Warranty period!

I heard back from the forum's administrator. Seems establishing a dedicated database page recording water pump problems is not possible due to technical limitations. However, they did suggest that a subject page could be opened with the details of failures ONLY so as to keep things manageable (i.e., no narrative etc.)

They also made a very interesting observation - Any numbers we might capture by going the route above would be dwarfed when compared to the vast number of these (X,R and F) engines produced. This would only serve to support Honda's (likely) view that, while in reality some failures are bound to occur, the low ratio of water pump failure:engines produced effectively demonstrates that there is no "issue" to speak of at all.

I appreciate that every bike has its shortcomings but still, slim comfort for those of us who have had, or will have, a water pump failure in the future. A case of live with it or choose not to :084:

Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:18:35 PM by Halfricatwin

Offline Quico

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #121 on: October 20, 2020, 12:29:24 PM
Are these problems related to all bikes or only to 2019 onward?

Offline Halfricatwin

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #122 on: October 20, 2020, 05:47:41 PM
I haven't done a detailed count of the bikes / year of manufacture in this thread but from what I see, it appears the issue can affect most/all years. Guys on other sites (F & R model CB500's) seem to have had the same experience. Some guys have experienced repeated failures.
In my case, a brand new, out of the crate, 2020 model that was leaking from the first kick. Bought it as my last bike (I'm old). More than a little disconcerting and given it's a Honda product, particularly disappointing.
I'm now 400+ kms into a (Warranty) replacement water pump. Downside here is that I now find myself watching it like a hawk. A buzz killer that may yet see this bike going from my garage sooner than later. A one off problem I could live with but I strongly suspect this issue is not in that category. Simply not the "Honda experience" I had anticipated.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #123 on: October 20, 2020, 06:42:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Halfricatwin [+]
Downside here is that I now find myself watching it like a hawk. A buzz killer that may yet see this bike going from my garage sooner than later. A one off problem I could live with but I strongly suspect this issue is not in that category. Simply not the "Honda experience" I had anticipated.
This was one of the multiple reasons that made me buy a Wee to replace my CB500X. This feeling of being worried about the pump, checking it for leaks almost every day, etc. Personally I just can't enjoy my CB after this. Bikes are supposed to give you freedom, not mechanical problems or worries.

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #124 on: October 20, 2020, 10:50:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Halfricatwin [+]

They also made a very interesting observation - Any numbers we might capture by going the route above would be dwarfed when compared to the vast number of these (X,R and F) engines produced. This would only serve to support Honda's (likely) view that, while in reality some failures are bound to occur, the low ratio of water pump failure:engines produced effectively demonstrates that there is no "issue" to speak of at all.

I'm not agree with that...
only a small minority of owners use the forums, less than 10%. this is for me the reason why the number would not be representative, and not because there are few models affected.
honda is well aware of the problem, but feels that fixing it is too expensive and plays on the fact that the user is alone and think he's the only one concerned.
And not everybody look at this part of the engine.

I took a ride in the Alps this WE, I cleaned the pump before leaving. Once on site, an oil/coolant mixture had dripped under the pump. Only 240 km, cold weather and cool ride!
on the way back a rag passed over the hole in the pump, there was coolant.
no visible drop in the level in the tank, for the moment.
with me this tour there was, kawasaki, suzuki, triumph, guzzi, ducati, enfield, no one else had to check the levels after each ride...

i bought this bike to cross Europe, how can you be serene when you have to check the level every 200 km when you can do 10000 in a month of travel?
Is that a honda? a motorbike that has to carry a can of coolant to survive? Too bad...
with my previous bikes I have never had this kind of problem!! and they did not have the flattering reputation of honda.

Offline KennyV

• CB500X Member
Reply #125 on: October 31, 2020, 01:19:39 AM
Just an update on my coolant pump oil leak. I dropped my bike off for my appointment and the service manager was very polite, courteous and professional. I picked my bike up this afternoon after the technician verified no leaks from the new coolant pump. I will watch for any leaks for a while but needless to say, I'm happy and I will make the trip to buy my bike stuff from this dealer instead interweb.
71 Z50 Minitrail, 72 Yamaha RT2 360, 74 Yamaha DT250A, 20 CB500X

Offline Migueblues

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #126 on: November 13, 2020, 02:09:03 AM
An update! I have made 1400km since my water pump was replaced and there were not any leaks neither coolant consumption at all. I made 2 high speed and long time rides (160-170 km/h for 30 minutes) so I think that if the shaft could have been out of point It would already caused damage on the seal. Ill keep updated, anyway.

Offline Spadger2

• CB500X Member
Reply #127 on: November 14, 2020, 09:11:45 AM
After reading this thread I nipped out to the garage to check if I had a similar problem,sure enough oil leak on the water pump,gave it a good clean and tried Halfricatwin's trick with a peice of tissue paper rolled up and poked in the pump weep hole,bingo!
No coolant loss evident with coolant level between high and low levels

The bike is a 2020 model with 420miles on it :023:.
I bought the bike secondhand with 300miles on(genuine private sale).I'm assuming/hoping the Honda warranty is transferrable

A couple of questions for the more knowledgeable contributors:- The bike is losing very little oil ie;no discernable drop in oil level on the oil window,with oil level being between high and low levels.
Is it likely to get worse with use or remain just a very sliigghhtt oil leak?
As it's now leaking oil is it more likely to begin to leak coolant also?
Could there be a catastrophic failure?

Anyway I'm not looking for a good Honda dealership innthe Wigan,Bolton,Warrington area of the UK,anyone got any recommendations?
Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:46:02 AM by Spadger2

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #128 on: November 14, 2020, 02:37:00 PM
It's called a two sided seal and can leak either or both fluids-but if you don't see drops or a puddle on the ground why worry about it now give it some more miles- yes check on seeing if the warranty is transferable (I'm sure it is) and I believe it's two years in your country and just monitor it--it's not like all the fluids are going to just dump out all  at once-you'll have plenty of time
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Spadger2

• CB500X Member
Reply #129 on: November 14, 2020, 04:03:17 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
It's called a two sided seal and can leak either or both fluids-but if you don't see drops or a puddle on the ground why worry about it now give it some more miles- yes check on seeing if the warranty is transferable (I'm sure it is) and I believe it's two years in your country and just monitor it--it's not like all the fluids are going to just dump out all  at once-you'll have plenty of time
I agree about monitoring it,and I strongly suspect I'm covered by the 2year Honda warranty

victorious-backstage