Author Topic: Water pump oil leak  (Read 14757 times)

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Re: Water pump oil leak
Reply #140 on: November 22, 2020, 02:44:37 PM
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
Of course, your pump could still be leaking coolant, but maybe not.  So far at 31,000 miles my pump is not leaking, but Honda is really harming their reputation with these continuing leaky (oil or coolant) pump issues.
I couldn't agree more. And Africa Twins seem to have the same leaky waterpump issue.

Offline Spadger2

• CB500X Member
Reply #141 on: November 22, 2020, 03:35:38 PM
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
Here is one possibility on the low coolant level: there have been several reports here, and my own experience, that new CB500X's have a low coolant level in the overflow tank.  The cause may be that the coolant overflow tank is filled with fluid before all the air is purged from the cooling system, resulting in a small quantity being sucked out of the overflow tank and into the cooling system itself.
That's a possibility,in the absence of Honda coolant I topped up the header tank with a little distilled water(less than half a cupful)to the upper level mark.I'll monitor it from now on.

Of course, your pump could still be leaking coolant, but maybe not.  So far at 31,000 miles my pump is not leaking, but Honda is really harming their reputation with these continuing leaky (oil or coolant) pump issues.
The pump is leaking oil which doesn't seem to be mixed with coolant but it's hard to tell,we'll see.
This problem and the poor mudguarding are the only flies in an otherwise rather nice and fragant ointment :084:

Offline Migueblues

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #142 on: November 25, 2020, 03:18:59 PM
In My case the pump leaked puré and clean oil, But coolant level emptied once every 300km. It seems that heated oil contacting the cerámic coolant seal inside the water pump can make the coolant to evaporate. I remember smelling sweetness all the time when My bike was warmed up.

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #143 on: November 29, 2020, 11:04:59 PM
I have had this problem on my 2019 since purchased new in January 2020. My first indication was that I found the coolant level to be low not long after purchasing the bike. I bought the proper Honda coolant and topped it off. For the next thousand miles or so, I didn't note anything, nor did I look.

Somewhere early on I installed a skid plate. A couple weeks after that I noticed that I had dried blue powdery substance on the skid plate just below the water pump. I can't detect any signs of oil and my oil level has stayed full.

I called the dealership where I bought it about a month ago and asked about making an appointment for a repair. The bike is still under warranty. The person I spoke to told me they don't do appointments, but that I could drop off the bike any time, and that it's likely just a loose bolt or somesuch. I explained that I'd done quite a bit of research and that it was probably a seal inside the water pump and that I'd like to have the water pump replaced. I also asked about a loaner bike, since the dealership is about an hour away.

The person told me that they'd have a look at it and determine what was wrong, and added again that it's most likely just a loose bolt. He told me they don't give out loaner bikes.

So... I'm going to fix this myself. I'm going to replace the entire water pump assembly. I have a distrust in dealerships. I've never taken any bike (or car) to a dealership for any repair. I have learned that nobody cares about your bike more than you. Combine that with having no loaner bike, so I'll have to find someone to give me a ride, and then it's probable that they won't get the leak fixed the first time around; it'll require multiple visits. I'd rather do it right the first time, even if it costs me a bit of money.

Jamie

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #144 on: November 30, 2020, 02:50:36 AM
Wait a  minute- am I missing something-it doesn't leak-no puddle on the ground- all levels are good and the bikes in warranty--parts cost money--why do you want to change something that's not bad--the blue power is dried up antifreeze for sure but are you sure it's coming from the pump and not the radiator over flow hitting the skid plate and evaporating--again can't see changing the pump now---but that's me--question if you had not read all the histeri on pump failures on this forum would you have given a little blue power a second though
Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:54:36 AM by motorboy
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #145 on: November 30, 2020, 11:26:22 AM
*Originally Posted by Jamie Z [+]
I have had this problem on my 2019 since purchased new in January 2020. My first indication was that I found the coolant level to be low not long after purchasing the bike. I bought the proper Honda coolant and topped it off. For the next thousand miles or so, I didn't note anything, nor did I look.

Somewhere early on I installed a skid plate. A couple weeks after that I noticed that I had dried blue powdery substance on the skid plate just below the water pump. I can't detect any signs of oil and my oil level has stayed full.

I called the dealership where I bought it about a month ago and asked about making an appointment for a repair. The bike is still under warranty. The person I spoke to told me they don't do appointments, but that I could drop off the bike any time, and that it's likely just a loose bolt or somesuch. I explained that I'd done quite a bit of research and that it was probably a seal inside the water pump and that I'd like to have the water pump replaced. I also asked about a loaner bike, since the dealership is about an hour away.

The person told me that they'd have a look at it and determine what was wrong, and added again that it's most likely just a loose bolt. He told me they don't give out loaner bikes.

So... I'm going to fix this myself. I'm going to replace the entire water pump assembly. I have a distrust in dealerships. I've never taken any bike (or car) to a dealership for any repair. I have learned that nobody cares about your bike more than you. Combine that with having no loaner bike, so I'll have to find someone to give me a ride, and then it's probable that they won't get the leak fixed the first time around; it'll require multiple visits. I'd rather do it right the first time, even if it costs me a bit of money.

Jamie
Hi Jamie! First you need to check where the leaks comes from. When the problem is pump seal you'll see traces of blue liquid inside pump weep hole. Here you can see weep hole of a pump WITHOUT leaks:

If any seal fail (oil or coolant) then traces of oil and dry cooland will appears inside this hole - they will be clearly visible. So before purchasing new pump you can check weep hole - if your pump weep hole is clean as on photo then it's OK. And if it's not OK it will be an irrefutable fact of leaking seal that you can show to your dealer mechanic.

Regards

Offline Spadger2

• CB500X Member
Reply #146 on: November 30, 2020, 12:27:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Migueblues [+]
In My case the pump leaked puré and clean oil, But coolant level emptied once every 300km. It seems that heated oil contacting the cerámic coolant seal inside the water pump can make the coolant to evaporate. I remember smelling sweetness all the time when My bike was warmed up.
This is what I'm experiencing with my 2020 500X,oil weeping from the weep hole on the underside of the pump,though the oil level hasn't dropped in 800miles from new,but coolant has used about half a cupful,with a sweet smell when the engine is warmed up.
Anyway I'm taking into a Honda main agent tomorrow for assessment under warranty

Offline Halfricatwin

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #147 on: December 12, 2020, 01:50:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Spadger2 [+]
This is what I'm experiencing with my 2020 500X,oil weeping from the weep hole on the underside of the pump,though the oil level hasn't dropped in 800miles from new,but coolant has used about half a cupful,with a sweet smell when the engine is warmed up.
Anyway I'm taking into a Honda main agent tomorrow for assessment under warranty

How did you get on at the dealer's?

Offline Spadger2

• CB500X Member
Reply #148 on: December 12, 2020, 09:32:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Halfricatwin [+]
How did you get on at the dealer's?
Not very well,they washed the bike off ran it for ten minutes to warm it up and declared no leak,I explained that I was losing coolant and oil but this was,despite my protestations,shrugged off as me checking the coolant level cold and not hot????
I explained that I'd inserted a cotton bud in the weep hole and found oil on the tip proving that the oil was coming from the pump shaft.
I told them I'd  monitor it and get back to them,but due to the bl**dy awful weather I haven't  ridden since,that was ten days ago.
My intention is to monitor the leak document it and take it back armed with the information and not be fobbed off a second time.

Offline Halfricatwin

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #149 on: December 12, 2020, 09:50:28 PM
Spadger - sorry to hear that Honda aren't being particularly helpful at the moment. Maybe next time round try and get in to them when the weather is good, have them wash the bike and verify the pump externals are oil free - then take it for a bloody good run. When you return to the dealership get them to have a good look and then have them insert something, e.g. a tightly rolled (1/16" dia.)piece of paper towel or a toothpick, carefully into the weep hole w/o touching the sides, to the point where it meets the shaft. If it comes out oil soaked there can only be one explanation - the shaft oil seal is U/S. I had to take my 2020 X into them three times re my leak. Glad to say once they saw it for themselves they couldn't have been more helpful and replaced the water pump w/o any further aggro. I've done a few thousand kms. since then, no sign of a leak so far. Prior to fitting the replacement pump they took the time (at my suggestion) to ensure the run out on the pump shaft was negligible. Hope this may help.