Author Topic: Report on my Aux lighting  (Read 253 times)

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Report on my Aux lighting
on: June 28, 2020, 11:11:18 PM
After reading several threads here, I decided to add more light to the front of my '14.  I am interested in more visibility as well as additional illumination.  I couldn't afford the Denalis, so I scoured Amazon and found some fairly well reviewed Chinese junk I thought might work for a while.  So far, so good; they have been on for about 12K miles without failure!  (I'm surprised!!)

All On (High Beams), As Seen From Light Level

Amber (Low Beams On), As Seen From Slightly Above Level

For more visibility, I followed suggestions I read here and installed two 20 watt amber LED "fog/work" lights for more visibility.  These are aimed very low; in fact, they hit the road about fifteen feet in front of the bike.  The very bright "glow" is sufficient to make my bike very visible, even in bright daylight, without blinding oncoming traffic, day or night.  These lights are always on with the ignition switch and controlled by the Denali Power Hub which is triggered by the Aux Power connection under the seat.  They are mounted on a bracket I fashioned out of a piece of steel angle iron which I mounted to the Givi Engine bars with some ATV gun rack clamps. 

For more illumination, I installed a pair of Chinese (also from Amazon) 10 watt white LED spot lights.  These are mounted under the same bracket as the amber lights and are only turned on with the high beams (bright headlight).  The one on the right is aimed far to the right to illuminate the right side of the road; the one on the left is aimed very far to the left to illuminate the left side of a two lane road.  Both are aimed fairly high to reach as far as possible down the road.  My intention is to illuminate wildlife that may be about to cross the road in front of me.  These would definitely blind oncoming traffic if they are on; this is why they are tied to the high beams. They are controlled by a relay that is triggered by the high beam aux connection under the front cowling.

Only a couple of cagers have complained about my lights, but I believe these lights have "saved my bacon"! A couple of times, cars have started to change lanes into me or turn left across my path only to suddenly change their mind.  I believe they noticed me when my lights caught their eyes. 

Here are pics of the installation:

Mounting Arrangement

Mounting Method

Relay for High Beams

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Re: Report on my Aux lighting
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:13:30 AM
That's a nice setup.

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 04:42:35 AM
I have a spare pair of the lower lights that your running on my CB.  I bought them a few years ago and they worked great on my quad.  Im now running them on my CB until my other lights I ordered come in.  I think I pair $30 for the pair.  They are very bright even in the daylight.  They fill in the ditches at night but don't have the reach.

I used them on my KLX as well.

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:47 AM
I'm planning to add some lighting to mine, so these threads give me lot's of info. Thank you !!

Now if I can find someone who can wire them up I'll be good to go. :-)
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:06:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
tOnly a couple of cagers have complained about my lights...
Iím curious what you meant by this. Iím in the same boat. I just installed some auxiliary LED lights on my bike. They donít have a high/low pattern, but I run them at 10% or 20% on low beam and full power with the brights.

To me, just standing out in front of the bike with the low beams on, my auxiliary lights seem a bit too bright for oncoming traffic, but nobody yet has flashed me.

So... when you talk about cagers ďcomplaining,Ē do you mean flashing their brights at you?

Jamie

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:07:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Jamie Z [+]
Iím curious what you meant by this. Iím in the same boat. I just installed some auxiliary LED lights on my bike. They donít have a high/low pattern, but I run them at 10% or 20% on low beam and full power with the brights.

To me, just standing out in front of the bike with the low beams on, my auxiliary lights seem a bit too bright for oncoming traffic, but nobody yet has flashed me.

So... when you talk about cagers ďcomplaining,Ē do you mean flashing their brights at you?

Jamie

I've always run my high beams and aux lights on during the day.  Most motorcycle safety courses recommend high beam use during the day so you can be seen.  I always added aux lights to all my bikes and run them during the day so oncoming traffic can better
judge my distance and speed (triangular effect).  It happens rarely but I do get some driver's that will flash their lights but I take it as a sign that they've seen me.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:58:25 PM
Advanced courses in the UK don't recommend running with high beam on all the time.

The problem with most LED aux lights is that they don't have a proper lens that focuses the beam, so there's no restriction on the edges. So they dazzle. Look at how they light up reflective signs some way outside of the beam pattern.

Filament bulbs are focused back onto a reflector that focuses the beam properly. LED aux lights usually have an exposed emitter in the middle of the unit.

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #7 on: Today at 12:03:09 AM
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
Advanced courses in the UK don't recommend running with high beam on all the time.

The problem with most LED aux lights is that they don't have a proper lens that focuses the beam, so there's no restriction on the edges. So they dazzle. Look at how they light up reflective signs some way outside of the beam pattern.

Filament bulbs are focused back onto a reflector that focuses the beam properly. LED aux lights usually have an exposed emitter in the middle of the unit.

During the day the idea is to be noticed and seen.  I don't care if they scatter light and at night they are only on with the high beams.

Interesting read
https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/motorcycle49-50.html     
Last Edit: Today at 12:05:53 AM by Ruggybuggy

victorious-backstage