Author Topic: 2019 bike, took the screen off today...  (Read 1009 times)

Online Jonathan

• CB500X God
Re: 2019 bike, took the screen off today...
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 04:00:46 AM
*Originally Posted by Flashp [+]
Yes, I'm going to go and start a 'what oil' thread in a minute  :008:
I know the F model would have avoided this but there's a few things I really like about the X. Height, comfort and decent suspension for broken up back roads.

there are a couple of folk on here who have gone to extraordinary lengths to try to rectify the windnoise/buffeting issue. Seems like it's been a design failing from the outset. Similar issues reported by many owners of ADV style bikes across all manufacturers. My take on it is the relatively narrow frontal area coupled with a relatively long stretch between the screen and the rider in an upright position.

Screens that actually work are either the humongous touring type barndoors fitted to 'Wings and Harleys or the curvy race fairings, where you're tucked directly behind it. ADV screens are a styling thing IMO. Simply moving closer to the stock screen (in any setting position) makes for less troublesome progress, but it gets to the small of your back after a while. As said, I'm reasonably happy with mine...it is what it is. If I wanted peace and serenity I'd drive a Lexus
Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:04:08 AM by Jonathan

Offline Fluffy

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: CB500X 2020
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 07:48:30 AM
My random thoughts on buffeting...2 ideas...
1 - Also being a pilot I am thinking of trying to get the low pressure air behind the screen to stick to the back side of the screen and thus remain laminar. The problem is that the laminar flow in front breaks over the screen edges and effectively "stalls". i.e. detaches and becomes turbulent. This can be addressed on aircraft wings by adding turbulence generators in front on the low pressure side ( top wing surface ). In this motorcycle scenario air would be allowed to flow under the screen through some turbulence generators and then hopefully stick better to the low pressure side.

2 - The other idea would be to break up the flow as it leaves the edges of the screen. Rather than having large vortices departing and hitting the rider's head the small vortices would be less of an issue. I am guessing here but I think this may be the reason they have a small jagged screen at the front of a Formula 1 cockpit.

Excuse my mumblings but maybe stimulate some ideas........

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 03:37:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
there are a couple of folk on here who have gone to extraordinary lengths to try to rectify the windnoise/buffeting issue. Seems like it's been a design failing from the outset. Similar issues reported by many owners of ADV style bikes across all manufacturers. My take on it is the relatively narrow frontal area coupled with a relatively long stretch between the screen and the rider in an upright position.

Screens that actually work are either the humongous touring type barndoors fitted to 'Wings and Harleys or the curvy race fairings, where you're tucked directly behind it. ADV screens are a styling thing IMO. Simply moving closer to the stock screen (in any setting position) makes for less troublesome progress, but it gets to the small of your back after a while. As said, I'm reasonably happy with mine...it is what it is. If I wanted peace and serenity I'd drive a Lexus
I do agree with what your saying- all anyone has to do is look at the windshield posts they stop at 90 pages :005: with no one fix all-it's a crap shoot- mine is fine- would I like it better sure but I'm not going looking for the magical unicorn
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 03:46:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Fluffy [+]
My random thoughts on buffeting...2 ideas...
1 - Also being a pilot I am thinking of trying to get the low pressure air behind the screen to stick to the back side of the screen and thus remain laminar. The problem is that the laminar flow in front breaks over the screen edges and effectively "stalls". i.e. detaches and becomes turbulent. This can be addressed on aircraft wings by adding turbulence generators in front on the low pressure side ( top wing surface ). In this motorcycle scenario air would be allowed to flow under the screen through some turbulence generators and then hopefully stick better to the low pressure side.

2 - The other idea would be to break up the flow as it leaves the edges of the screen. Rather than having large vortices departing and hitting the rider's head the small vortices would be less of an issue. I am guessing here but I think this may be the reason they have a small jagged screen at the front of a Formula 1 cockpit.

Excuse my mumblings but maybe stimulate some ideas........
Vortex generators have been tried with some success -there are many posts on the subject -but like any thing else works for some not for others
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Mikey66

• CB500X Member
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 06:11:28 PM
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]
Fitted a 2013 screen on my 20 model,on the lowest setting it just come's over the top of the accessory bar, and I think it looks ok. :169:

Useful info (thank you for posting). I was going to chop down the stock screen, but this may be a better option.
Going off road, a large screen can be a bit intimidating and on the highway a shorter screen will take a bit of pressure off my arms (Iím more used to sport bikes).

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 08:21:02 PM
Here you go Mikey

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,9274.120.html

It's much better than the stock screen. The holes don't line up perfectly, I just used longer bolts and it's fine  :028:

No downside    :152:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Mikey66

• CB500X Member
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 10:46:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
Here you go Mikey

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,9274.120.html

It's much better than the stock screen. The holes don't line up perfectly, I just used longer bolts and it's fine  :028:

No downside    :152:

Brill! That is exactly what Iím after. Cheers.
Let the search begin.......

victorious-backstage