Author Topic: Repeated delivery delay - What's up with Honda?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Fluffy

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 2020
Repeated delivery delay - What's up with Honda?
on: July 07, 2020, 05:53:21 PM
Hi all, I regret to say I am considering getting angry with Honda, patience now thoroughly tested! Am based in Switzerland.

I ordered a red CB500X 2020 in March.
Was to be delivered end April.
End April......no bike.....after asking I am informed 5 May that it has "a little delay".
19 May......am told....will arrive end of June
Now.....early July ...after asking am informed will arrive end of August ........ :138:!
Anybody having a similar experience?
Worth waiting or do I just cancel?
Anybody suggest the best replacement?

Wakey wakey Mr Honda if you are there......you are losing a dedicated Honda customer! :159:

Offline CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Member
Re: Repeated delivery delay - What's up with Honda?
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:56:21 PM
Many UK dealers seem to keep stock or can get bikes quickly.

My partner and I ordered a pair of 500x's on 14th March and had them delivered on 20th March.

Offline CB500X

• Forum Help & Support
  • CB500X Pro
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 06:16:09 PM
Was it due to Covid ?

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:48:31 PM
It is doubly infuriating that you have to keep asking for the status. Do you have something to ride in the interim? It is a gem of a bike.

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 09:18:56 AM
I think it's Covid.

I work in the Automotive industry and the wave of Covid is against us. The buying markets in Europe are coming out of lock down with a live for the day attitude so demand is rising in certain sectors. If you haven't set foot in the pub/Maccy D/Costa lot coffee for months and have seen every review on the interweb you'll be ready to buy and possibly feeling richer. My bike is in the crate at the dealers having come from Honda UK stock. The dealer has sold 5 in 4 weeks and is down to his last one. He is predicting a shortage.

Work/Supply side, regardless of brands and assembly locations, automotive parts all come from India and China. The latter went first the former last. Assembly locations in Europe and the less effected parts of Asia shut down for China but now face a shipping pipeline from India that has emptied. When China stopped sending widgets in March and the slow boat from India full of whatsits won't be loaded until August you can't make bikes in Thailand and get them to Europe.

Air freight costs have trippled too, simple supply and demand, so with their competitors in the same position they all just sit tight.

Not comforting I know. UK dealers were stocked up against Brexit hassle. I'm guessing the Swiss dealers have been reliant on Just In Time (which will be out of fashion for the next decade, not that that helps you).

Practically, I can only suggest ringing round other dealers, but I think you'll end up waiting  :003:

Andy

Offline Fluffy

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 10:00:24 AM
Andy,
Many thanks for your thoughtful input. I fully expect the source issue is Covid and am aware the Thailand production site was closed for 2 months. However......it is not rocket science to reschedule and plan both production and shipping accordingly and to inform your customers. Not just to provide a rolling 2 months delay whenever the customer requests a status. Latest is that I have spoken to Honda this morning and am awaiting their response by telephone. I'll post here whatever they say. Regards to all.....

Online Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:21:16 AM
I'm not sure if it affects Honda vehicles but I know their servers in Japan and Thailand were hacked a few weeks ago. I ordered some parts from David silver Spares, who is an excellent UK distributor of OEM honda parts and they've had a nightmare chasing up overdue orders; I've been waiting nearly five weeks for one bloody oil seal :156:

https://www.cbronline.com/news/honda-hacked-data-breach

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 CB500Xabs
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:06:19 PM
It is all about the shutdown because of Covid-19! I work part time in a dealership and product is very hard to come by! When a manufacture shuts down for over a month, it is hell. All the suppliers to Honda need to gear up then shipping needs to gear up, and so on. When you think how many different manufactures make up one bike, it is mind blowing; tires, suspension parts, electric parts, fluids, ect plus how it takes to get to the Honda assembly plant, WOW! And if only part doesn't show up, well.... The whole world was shutdown (thanks China) and then politics comes to play! Trust me, Honda sure didn't want this to happen but it did. And this just didn't happen to Honda but every manufacture of things the world consumes. I have a 2020 CB500X and it IS worth the wait! 
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 03:33:11 PM
There's a rumour that if they lock us down again it will be for 6 months
That should just about finish off all supply chains  :110:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Fluffy

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 07:55:14 PM
Final update. Called Honda and they said they would check and call me back....they didnít. I have concluded that they have aimed to keep me on the hook with repeated 6 week delays rather than admit they couldnít deliver until September. Having now lost all confidence I have cancelled. Not sure if the dealer was impressed when I asked if given the delay it could be delivered with snow tyres.. :164:...Oh well letís see what I buy next year......

victorious-backstage