Author Topic: Honda CB500X killer?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Honda CB500X killer?
on: July 13, 2020, 11:32:21 AM
Is this bike a viable alternative to the CB500X ?
There seems to be some good features like spoked wheels twin discs, what do you think ?

Started out in the early 70s on Triumph motorcycles after a long gap decided to return to motorcycling with the CB500X

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Re: Honda CB500X killer?
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 12:55:23 PM
Looks like a Benelli badged Quinjiang rebadged again?

Spoked wheels with TL tyres means no effective roadside way to deal with punctures. Can't break the bead on the TL tyre, choice of TT in 17-inch is poor, you can't use a plug kit. The spokes are offset, but the valves look like tubes.

Twin discs on the same size tyre means a brake thats too cold now runs even colder so higher running costs and unsprung weight for no gain. You don't want twin discs on any road bike except maybe a Goldwing , they are just race fashion bling. The double banjo on the video is just a way of using standard parts BTW.

If it is Chinese you need to factor in depreciation like lemmings wearing diving boots.

A bit of competition for Honda is never bad, but I don't think I'll be rushing out to get one.

Andy

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:01:08 PM
To see a 500X killer, in my opinion wait for the KTM 500 adventure with the new twin...

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:00:51 PM
Another example of chinese Ducati Multistrada :164: :

https://www.soymotero.net/motrac-mg-500-version-china-de-la-ducati-multistrada-22102

There is no ADV bike left without being imitated by some chinese Brand  :008:

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 03:41:35 PM
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Another example of chinese Ducati Multistrada :164: :

https://www.soymotero.net/motrac-mg-500-version-china-de-la-ducati-multistrada-22102

There is no ADV bike left without being imitated by some chinese Brand  :008:
That's a licensed copy of the Honda engine-one day in the not to distance future the Chinese are going to get their act together and give the big four a run for their money
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 04:33:39 PM
Chinese motorcycles are definitely improving, especially with the move into larger engined bikes - if the big 4 ignore this, they'll be making the same mistake the British manufacturers made when Japanese bikes first appeared.

They do like to copy though (so did early Japanese manufacturers, of course) - the cheekiest story I know of is about the UK company Scomadi, where Royal Alloy badged copies of their Lambretta lookalike scooters were coming out the back door of the same factory and selling at a lower price -

"Scomadi scooters were originally manufactured in China by Hanway Motors, to Scomadi UK specifications. However, Scomadi discovered in 2016 that Hanway Motors were essentially rebadging the Scomadi scooters, and selling them as "Royal Alloy" Scooters, and claimed ownership of Scomadi design patents."

Scomadi have moved production to Thailand, but in the meantime Royal Alloy have kept producing their scoots, and have become really well established as a manufacturer of trendy Mod scooters.
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 09:08:58 AM
A lengthy article on the rise of larger capacity Chinese motorcycles, if you are interested/can be bothered!!   :008:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/the-rise-of-motorcycling-in-the-far-east
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 12:12:36 PM
I don't think the big 4 should take this lightly. The Chinese are coming on fast with all kinds of technology . They may be copying stuff now , but it won't be long before they build their brands and start taking market share.

When you have a government  that takes the long view on all issues and have the ability to hold down wages. It gives them the opportunity to select when and where they take over markets. It's the perfect business model, no real threat of labor , total control of the cash and little to no environmental restrictions.

Their quality has been improving steadily in all areas, and they have tremendous natural resources . It's a perfect storm to take markets.

Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Online Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 12:40:44 AM
*Originally Posted by johnthebigadv [+]
Is this bike a viable alternative to the CB500X ?
There seems to be some good features like spoked wheels twin discs, what do you think ?

If it's anywhere near as reliable as the CB then I think you're getting quite a lot of bike for the money. Shame they didn't just go with tubeless 17/19 spoked rims and single disc upfront (as mentioned above). Switchable ABS? USD forks but the stanchions look a bit weedy to me; not sure who makes them. Single seat option is good for solo touring as you could replace the pillion with a cargo plate and move some weight further forward. I'd definitely be up for a test ride if one were available in the UK. Still not resolved the high level exhaust issue when carrying side cases/bags... :084:

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 07:03:31 AM
I think they are using the Benelli badge in the UK?

https://www.benelli.co.uk/new-bikes/bike/2020-benelli-trk-502-97

Qianjiang really of course, they don't like to be associated with all the other Chinese rubbish . There is a 2018 on the auction site with 1500 miles on the clock that you could get for 2500. It's an auction so typically one a Japanese dealer won't take in part exchange . Look at moto gb for parts supply too, it ain't no Fowlers.

Andy

victorious-backstage