Author Topic: Is CB500X long distance capable?  (Read 3251 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Shiftupadventure

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 29
  • Country: hr
Is CB500X long distance capable?
on: July 15, 2020, 09:41:39 AM
Hi all,

we all know how good is CB500X generally, but what's your opinion of the bike being a long distance touring bike?

Here's what I think about that, in short final conclusion from me is yes, but it does require some upgrades.

What are your thoughts?
Would you go around the world with it or it's totally out of question?


 :763:

Offline Markdarren

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 118
  • Bike: CB500x
  • Country: gb
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:39:55 AM
The only items I would buy if riding around the world using just the roads would be:

Airhawk 2 for the seat
LED front spot lights
Touring screen
12v charging socket

I have a 2016 model with 54.5k miles and zero problems. Ride everyday to work 180 per trip all year round. Front bridgestone tyre T31 last 38k and rear was about the same too. Still on original front and rear pads.

Offline Markdarren

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 118
  • Bike: CB500x
  • Country: gb
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:11 AM
Forgot to say I'm getting on average 94MPG (UK) all year round that's riding to work being 5% country lanes 40ish mph, 90% motorway 60ish & 5% city 30ish mph.

Offline timur

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 402
  • Country: es
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 11:50:53 AM
Watched your video - basically I'm agree. More wind protection, better suspension are upgrades that could improve a lot the riding on long distances. However after modified the suspensions and windscreen of my 2017CB my conclusion is that CB it's not the best bike for travelling. It still reacts a lot to a sidewinds and handlebars are bit buzzy at highway speeds. Now it's a perfect bike for twisties tho - incredibly fast in corners and a joy to ride.

Even so I found it tad tiresome - after 4 hours of twisties the need of frequent gear shifting starts to bother me. And after 7 hours of twisties I just want to insert the 4th gear and forget the gearbox until next morning. With CB you can go far or go fast but not both things at the same time.

That's why I'm selling my bike and just bought a Vstrom - because of its longer wheelbase and more torqey engine.

Regards,

Timur

Offline AJC500

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1901
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
  • Country: scotland
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 12:06:38 PM
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
That's why I'm selling my bike and just bought a Vstrom.........

Is it a 650 V-strom?  Haven't ridden one, but that Suzuki V-twin is a lovely engine!!
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline timur

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 402
  • Country: es
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 12:20:54 PM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Is it a 650 V-strom?  Haven't ridden one, but that Suzuki V-twin is a lovely engine!!
Yess - 650XT  :001: This 650 engine made me fall in love instantly!

Offline Shiftupadventure

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 29
  • Country: hr
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 12:34:09 PM
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Watched your video - basically I'm agree. More wind protection, better suspension are upgrades that could improve a lot the riding on long distances. However after modified the suspensions and windscreen of my 2017CB my conclusion is that CB it's not the best bike for travelling. It still reacts a lot to a sidewinds and handlebars are bit buzzy at highway speeds. Now it's a perfect bike for twisties tho - incredibly fast in corners and a joy to ride.

Even so I found it tad tiresome - after 4 hours of twisties the need of frequent gear shifting starts to bother me. And after 7 hours of twisties I just want to insert the 4th gear and forget the gearbox until next morning. With CB you can go far or go fast but not both things at the same time.

That's why I'm selling my bike and just bought a Vstrom - because of its longer wheelbase and more torqey engine.

Regards,

Timur

 :762:

Good point, I forgot to mention in video, totally agree frequent shifting can be tiresome and Cb500x needs it often.

This time I was mainly riding on open roads mainly 5th and 6th gear probably that's the reason why shifting wasn't tiering but yes completley agree.

 

Offline Shiftupadventure

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 29
  • Country: hr
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 12:41:07 PM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Is it a 650 V-strom?  Haven't ridden one, but that Suzuki V-twin is a lovely engine!!

Yes, I rented it once for a week, rode like a 4k kms on it. Great bike no question, it was 650 one. One thing that I didn't like was it's too road oriented, zero offroad capabilities.

But engine is a gem, goes nicely, acceleration is linear and fuel mileage is great too. Very reliable bike.

I even have a few videos on my channel about vStrom if you're looking for something specific.

 :028:

 

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1254
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 02:23:04 PM
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Yess - 650XT  :001: This 650 engine made me fall in love instantly!
I think the shifting between the two bike are simular being there is only a 300 rpm difference the two-want long legs the DL1000 is it - but the extra power of the 650 over the 500 is very noticeable I am a big fan of the DL series had two- over all I think the 650 is a better bike than the 500-but I put them in two different classes due to the weight -extra power is intoxicating :169:
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Neox

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
  • Country: fr
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:26 PM
I'm not agree with all... :027:
I think this bike is perfect for long distance travel after changing the rear shock.
In my point of view:
-the bike is easy and light to maneuver, so  you are tired by the road and not the bike. Very easy for U-turning, a thing i do a lot during a travel :164: .
-Easy to put luggage on.
-low consumption. Less fuel, more miles for the same price, or more money for visiting...
-wind protection, not very necessary on small roads i used to take and speed i ride. If i have to take highway it's low mileage compared to all the travel, so it's not a problem for me.
-Vibrations? What vibrations? It's a real pleasure compared to the old 500S. The old CB was vibrating everywhere! Footpegs, saddle, handlebar, fairing... The vibrating saddle was very uncomfortable... and when the fairing vibrate so noisy that you'are afraid the bike fall apart!
-frequent gear shifting? Perhaps, it's  just a 500 cc, but then again never ride the '98 500S, the shifting is not frequent, is permanent like a moped... no engine smoothness, never.
-there is a center stand!

Cons:
-the LED light seem not so good.
-mechanical accessibility is a real nightmare...
-is there a bike in the world sold with a real saddle?

 



victorious-backstage