Author Topic: Is CB500X long distance capable?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 10:00:39 PM
Frequent gear shifting. When I was 16 I had a Yamaha DT50M.
I can't remember how many gears it had but that was flat out in top gear at 30mph  :008:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 01:13:13 AM
There is an old saying " Horses for courses"
The CB500X ticks of many of the boxes for a rider who wants a bit of both worlds , highway/and light duty off road. It's affordable and with simple tools can be maintained easily. Changing the ride for a more off road orientation can be done fairly reasonably cost wise.

If you want a true off road machine out of the box, you might  look elsewhere.

The wheel base is just long enough for a long distance mount, but there again if packing it like a moving van and trying to do long days at high speed. You again might be better served with a longer wheel based machine.

My take as an old rider who does not care to go too far off road, and no longer feels the need to haul a*! all day on the highway. The CB500X is the right hammer for the job.
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Member
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 11:48:57 AM
My take as an old rider who does not care to go too far off road, and no longer feels the need to haul a*! all day on the highway. The CB500X is the right hammer for the job.

My feelings exactly, coming from larger bikes due to age, health, and manageability, I'm finding the 500X a revelation. My days of 300m rides are gone, I don't venture off road (although I would like a small trials bike to use on land I have access to), I don't even purposely go out when it's wet, but I do want to carry on riding. It's been my passion for around sixty years and now I'm enjoying my riding again with this little bike. It can be chucked about (I love my corners) and pushed around without worrying about the weight. The power I do miss but at least I won't get in as much trouble, if they made it a 650cc they would sell as many as they could make. For me now I've got it set up and my farkle's fitted I think it's a keeper.  :082:

Online Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 11:30:19 PM
I think it all boils down to how you travel, rather than where. As a motorcycle it's cheap enough to run, easy enough to work on, rarely breaks down and parts are cheap and plentiful, so all these are plus points for traveling away from home. It's light enough to pick up if you drop it, and fares pretty well in a spill (provided you have barkbusters, crash bars etc.) Is it great off road? Not really. Is it great for sports riding? Not really. Is it the most comfortable bike to ride for hours and hours on end? No...but what it does do, is a bit of everything sufficiently well to make an excellent travel bike for most situations. More power would be nice, better suspension, comfort etc etc. but when you start to factor in all this extra capability you're looking at a much more expensive (and usually heavier) machine, so the traveling becomes more about the bike than the ride and the place you're at. I'd happily sod off to wherever on mine, but there'll always be times when you wish you were on a different bike...

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 12:52:36 AM
I'm doing the best I can just to stay on two wheels for a bit longer.
So any changes I make to the bike to suit me can easily be reversed or added to by its next owner.

As others have said , this bike is about as good of a compromise as you can get at this price point. With the popularity of ADV bikes this machine seems to tick off most of the boxes.
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 07:18:29 AM
As a former 650 Weestrom owner it is definitely a case of what you want to do. The Wee is a fast road bike, but a top heavy lump on anything interesting. There is also the three day expedition to get at the rear spark plugs (dealers lie, they either never change them or have invented the teleporter). They rust too, so need stripping on day 1 to blather in ACF-50.

A week in and the battle with the X screen an I am starting to get annoyed. The OE tyres are also about the worst since an MZ I bought last century came with Pneumats. However, having done 400 mile days and 2000 mile weeks on the F I am pretty sure the X can do the same.

Yesterday I had an hour doing this

as part of a 250 mile day which included everything up to and including 70+ mph motorway. Plenty of bikes will do this, it's just which bits you want to concentrate on.

Mods are entirely personal IMHO. I have never found the need to change a shock unless it leaked.

Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:19:55 AM by Andy M

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 08:33:04 AM
Gordon G May wrote about his rides to India on a 1953 Royal Enfield Bullet, to Egypt on a 1952 Bantam and to Vietnam on a 1941 Matchless so in that way just about anything can be used for a long distance tour!!  :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 10:21:12 AM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Gordon G May wrote about his rides to India on a 1953 Royal Enfield Bullet, to Egypt on a 1952 Bantam and to Vietnam on a 1941 Matchless so in that way just about anything can be used for a long distance tour!!  :008:
Personally I think the bike should be adapted to the environment - these bikes sure was the perfect choise for those times and roads. All this 150HP modern ADV bikes have sense now that we have highways, high octane gas, cell phones and workshops on every corner. But in 1953 150HP bike was as usefull as Ferrari F8 on potato field.

The same happens with CB500X - I live in Madrid and to reach some scenic twisties need to spent some time on highways with cars travelling at 130-140km/h around me. Should I live in countryside CB500X would be perfect choice for my needs. And for travelling through Africa would buy Royal Enfield Hymalayan.

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 10:39:05 AM
I forgot to say that my use is mainly for road.

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X MY2018
Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 10:54:48 AM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]

I met him at a local show in 2018, he had a stall selling his books...he signed a copy of 'Overland to Egypt' that I bought, an enjoyable read and interesting bloke to chat to! That Bantam was a bit of a nightmare, I think he spent more time fixing it than riding it!  :008: