Author Topic: Is CB500X long distance capable?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
Re: Is CB500X long distance capable?
Reply #50 on: August 04, 2020, 11:45:58 AM
Timur ...I hope you actually have ridden a Vstrom?
It is lots of fun in the twists but I suspect you will be stirring the gearbox just as often as with the CB500x.
Stick around here and report on the pluses and minuses.

If you are two up the Vstrom is the better bike. Solo ?? my nod is to the CB500x.

This is pretty much bang on from my experience with both.
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/254474/2013-suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-2013-honda-cb500x-comparison-test/
Both models tho have improved since 2013.

This is an excellent resource for Vstrom riders.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/whats-new/posts/393503/

The Vstrom was easier to farkle for heavy travel weights as I had to carry gear for both my son and I going cross Canada in 2015. It was a bit of a pig to handle with full Jesse side cases.

The CB500x was easier to handle last year on the same trip but solo and was more stable at speed.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos>
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #51 on: August 04, 2020, 02:53:29 PM
*Originally Posted by MacDoc [+]
Timur ...I hope you actually have ridden a Vstrom?
It is lots of fun in the twists but I suspect you will be stirring the gearbox just as often as with the CB500x.
Stick around here and report on the pluses and minuses.

If you are two up the Vstrom is the better bike. Solo ?? my nod is to the CB500x.

This is pretty much bang on from my experience with both.
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/254474/2013-suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-2013-honda-cb500x-comparison-test/
Both models tho have improved since 2013.

This is an excellent resource for Vstrom riders.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/whats-new/posts/393503/

The Vstrom was easier to farkle for heavy travel weights as I had to carry gear for both my son and I going cross Canada in 2015. It was a bit of a pig to handle with full Jesse side cases.

The CB500x was easier to handle last year on the same trip but solo and was more stable at speed.

Thank you MacDoc! Yess - I'm on holidays with VStrom and really happy with it - already made 2500kms. However IMO it's not a better bike that CB500X - just different. I mean - CB500X is very agile and a fun to ride in comparison with Wee. In fact in tight twisties I miss CBs effortless handling.

What I like in VStrom is the engine - found it very relaxing. In my case I make less gearshiftings with a Wee - it was something I was looking for.

A downside of Wee engine - double throttle valve body makes it bit lazier than CB. I love the instant and direct response of CB - it makes me feel connected to the bike. And downshiftings are easier with CB due to its fast revving engine - it reacts instantly to throttle blips. But again - it's not something I'm worried about - probably it's a matter of time to get accostumed to it. Overtakes are lot easier on Wee - don't ever need to downshift.

Could test the Wee on gravel roads - found it a fun to ride. With 19 inch front wheel and long wheelbase it's easy to drift the rear wheel with zero fuss. CB is bit sharp when drifts in comparison. The same on fast sweepers - with Wee I can forget to make midcorner corrections - it's stable as train once you choose the line. With CB I need to do small corrections in corner line on bumpy tarmac. The trade off is less agility of VStrom. I would describe it as more meditative handling - you need to plan better your corner entries.

I'm surprised that you found CB more stable at speed - I suppose it depends on amount of luggage carried, tyre pressure and suspension settings. In my case I used soft Oxford panniers on both bikes and Wee was more stable than CB. But as I stated - it depends a lot of weight distribution and sag settings so it's difficult to compare between different owners bikes.

Where Wee is really better is in a suspension, illumination and dashboard design. OEM shock snd fork settings seems very good for me - probably I'll install fork cartidge in a future but it is not something urgent IMO. Headlights - at last I can travel during night! With CB it was quite unpleasant experience and with Vstrom I was amazed how powerfull can be halogen headlight compared to all this LED gizmos. And I love analog tacho on Wee.

I think comparing this bikes it's like comparing a car like Peugeot 205 GTI with BMW 530 E34 - both are fast but one is nimble and agile and another is big and comfortable. Different experiences but equally efficent on road.

For me CB is a great bike - it is incredibly agile and effortless to ride. However in this moment of my life I need something more oriented to trips (not too much) and VStrom seems to fit better. And if I can't sell my CB for 4700-4500 euros probably will keep both bikes in a garage. Would use CB for everyday tasks in a city and Wee for trips and weekend rides.

Regards

Timur

P.D. I have seen Stroomtrooper page - a lot of usefull info there. Thanks!
Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:55:12 PM by timur

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #52 on: August 05, 2020, 08:05:49 AM
I had a 2012 Weestrom. Pretty much agree with all the comments above. I think I'd be a bit stronger on the "low speed agility", more like a top heavy lump.

If you don't do your own servicing keep a close eye on the mechanic. The rear plugs are on par with the CB's valves for inaccessibility. Dealers therefore have a reputation for not bothering (mine could apparently change then with the tank in place and got very uppity when shown the undisturbed paint marker lines across the bolts) . Given an apparent struggle to meet emissions controls they do wear the plugs. If you are going to keep it, fit Iridium the first time and skip the next change.

Andy

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #53 on: August 05, 2020, 09:12:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Andy M [+]
If you don't do your own servicing keep a close eye on the mechanic. The rear plugs are on par with the CB's valves for inaccessibility.
Hi Andy! Thanks for the info. Iridium plugs seems to be a good solution in this case - will try them on next plug change.

Regards

victorious-backstage