Author Topic: Removing Clutch Cover Without Draining Oil?  (Read 272 times)

Offline jdeerturner

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
Removing Clutch Cover Without Draining Oil?
on: July 16, 2020, 02:09:12 AM
Hi all,

Kicking off my first post on these forums with a somewhat dumb question regarding the clutch cover on a 2014 CB500x.

Last weekend's DIY valve shim service led me to do some... exploring... for a dropped shim. I ended up draining the oil and removing the clutch cover to search in the timing chain tunnel, since I've read that's a common place for them to run away. I did eventually find it (in the top end, right near where I dropped it :087:), but the unplanned clutch cover removal meant I didn't have a new clutch cover gasket on hand and just re-used the old one.

Fast forward to today, and there's a very gradual oil leak around the clutch cover, which I'm assuming is from a damaged clutch cover gasket which I ought to have replaced. I have a new one on order and I'm thinking through installing it.

In the interest of not dumping the brand new oil I just put in, does anyone know if the clutch cover can be removed without spilling oil everywhere? Based on the sight glass, the oil level looks to be below the bottom edge of the gasket when the bike is on the side stand (although I wouldn't chance it unless someone has done this before). I've also heard you can gently lay down some bikes on their left hand side to remove the cover.

Any thoughts on this cheapskate plan to save $30 worth of oil?

Online crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Re: Removing Clutch Cover Without Draining Oil?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 04:26:34 AM
Mate just drain it into a really clean container and reuse it or thats what i would do and i use full synthetic double what your talking about ,as long as you dont put it into a dusty dirt ridden container when drained , i cant see a problem your filter will pick up anything if it gets in there .

Offline CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Member
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 11:56:16 AM
With other bikes we just park the bike on a 1/2" plank of wood and let it lean on to the side stand.

Now the clutch cover and the clutch if required can be removed without dropping the oil.

Quite common to do the clutch this way if trevelling.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:14:47 PM
Made it with other bikes I had - with paperboards gaskets it allows you to access the clutch with zero fuss. Just layed the bike, however it was lighter bikes. With CB the method described by CBRDEAN0 seems to be more practical.

Regards

Offline jdeerturner

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 04:40:47 PM
*Originally Posted by CBRDEAN0 [+]
With other bikes we just park the bike on a 1/2" plank of wood and let it lean on to the side stand.

Now the clutch cover and the clutch if required can be removed without dropping the oil.

Quite common to do the clutch this way if trevelling.

Great idea, I think I'll give that a shot. Sounds like it should buy a little more tilt without having to lay the bike down.