Author Topic: Seat Concepts, or what else?  (Read 925 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Topo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • Country: us
Seat Concepts, or what else?
on: July 23, 2020, 04:09:21 AM
Had my first long ride from Nevada City, CA to Lassen National Park. 103į near Oroville....yikes! I boiled. Anyway...my seat! Seems itís always such a pain. Literally. Junk gets crammed as gravity moves everything forward. Itís quite impossible to stop from being squashed.  Bum experience is not comfy either. My friendís bmw seat has such a wide plush cradle, that keeps his center more back.
I searched for custom options and found seatconcepts.com. Anyone have one? Any other places to check?

Online Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1186
  • Country: gb
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:20:42 AM
there's no guarantee that an aftermarket seat is going to be exactly what you need. I've read hundreds of reviews on seats from the usual suspects, on various bikes:- some swear by them and some just swear, as it's a sizeable investment. Think of it like a pair of (expensive) shoes; just because it's a named brand, it doesn't mean that  they'll fit you properly. You need to determine where the problem actually lies. In your case it sounds as though the transition to the tank needs flattening out (building up) and the area where your sit bones are needs widening slightly. You're best bet is to pay a visit to a custom saddle maker and have something tailor made. For the money, it's the most likely to pay dividends

Online oldtexan

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 133
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • Country: us
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 01:26:20 PM
I installed a Seat Concepts Rally Tall Comfort seat a little over a year ago and am pleased with it.  My main purpose was to have a flatter seat near the tank; this seat accomplishes that.  The foam is a bit more firm than OEM, but is still comfortable for me.  As this seat's foam fills in the dip, the seat is 1 3/4 inch taller than OEM.   I got the all Carbon Fiber seat cover; also available is a cover with Carbon Fiber on the sides and a gripper top.

I find that I am comfortable on this seat for up to two hours; after that I need a break.  Note: my butt is over 70 years old.  A younger butt would probably be comfortable for longer.

Online Topo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • Country: us
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:38:00 PM
Thanks Jonathan....I donít think thereís anyone who does this type of work around my little town. Guess I will have to research in the Sacramento area for an option.

*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
there's no guarantee that an aftermarket seat is going to be exactly.......You're best bet is to pay a visit to a custom saddle maker and have something tailor made. For the money, it's the most likely to pay dividends

Online Topo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • Country: us
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 04:42:17 PM
Thanks OT...that sounds quite a bit taller. Sure wish I could come by and sit on it, but thatís not gonna happen. Iíll have to keep researching. Maybe talk to the seatconcepts guys.

*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
I installed a Seat Concepts Rally Tall Comfort seat a little over a year ago and am pleased with it.  My main purpose was to have a flatter seat near the tank; this seat accomplishes that.  The foam is a bit more firm than OEM, but is still comfortable for me.  As this seat's foam fills in the dip, the seat is 1 3/4 inch taller than OEM.   I got the all Carbon Fiber seat cover; also available is a cover with Carbon Fiber on the sides and a gripper top.

I find that I am comfortable on this seat for up to two hours; after that I need a break.  Note: my butt is over 70 years old.  A younger butt would probably be comfortable for longer.

Offline MoToad

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 37
  • Bike: CB500X, Tw200
  • Country: ca
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
My AirHawk has served me faithfully for 15 yrs. Without adding to seat height.
Takin a likkin but I'm still tickin.

Online Topo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • Country: us
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 05:48:53 PM
Any particular model or style thatís best? Had never heard of Ďem. Looks reasonable...easy peasy  :763:

*Originally Posted by MoToad [+]
My AirHawk has served me faithfully for 15 yrs. Without adding to seat height.

Offline DandyDoug

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 111
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 01:43:32 AM
I have probably made some seat makers rich , buying, trying , shipping back and forth . Some worked out well , some I just gave up and sold.

My solution is to use a Beaded Seat in the heat, and a Sheepskin in the cold.

I tried an Airhawk several years ago but never felt good on it. I think I always had too much air in it , and from what I read the newer models require very little air due to their newer design. I might give them another try.
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Online Topo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • Country: us
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 01:55:16 AM
Yeah, my friend says expect to pay $800 for custom, measured to your size, seat.

Iím liking the airhawk idea. Guess Iíll head in that direction. Now, to address my helmet issue. Might create a post about that, but I bet itís been discussed a lot here.

*Originally Posted by DandyDoug [+]
I have probably made some seat makers rich , buying, trying , shipping back and forth . Some worked out well , some I just gave up and sold.

My solution is to use a Beaded Seat in the heat, and a Sheepskin in the cold.

I tried an Airhawk several years ago but never felt good on it. I think I always had too much air in it , and from what I read the newer models require very little air due to their newer design. I might give them another try.

Online Ruggybuggy

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • Country: ca
Re: Seat Concepts, or what else?
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 05:47:17 PM
Here's a picture of my Seat Concepts standard seat.  Its dishes at the back and the gripper material keeps you planted. 

Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:48:26 PM by Ruggybuggy

 



victorious-backstage