Author Topic: Wind buffeting hack tested  (Read 592 times)

Offline Shiftupadventure

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Wind buffeting hack tested
on: July 24, 2020, 09:08:09 AM
Hi all,

few folks suggested me one trick to lower wind buffeting on my Honda CB500X. The trick is to tilt the screen to a little more upright position and redirect wind that way.

I've tried how it works and recorded a video about the process.

I can't say I'm a super impressed but it kind of works.

If you want to take a look I'll link video below and if you know for any better way (with oem windscreen) please let me know.

:763:

Online BenjaminCB

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: PC64
Re: Wind buffeting hack tested
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 03:38:49 PM
Its always a good idea to experiment with the angle of the screen. I actually did the opposite on my 19 with a puig screen with spoiler. I canted my screen back a bit. This to allow more air to flow up underneath the screen (eliminating/reducing the vacuum behind the screen) and to bring the top of the screen closer to the rider. It works fairly well up to 90-100kph. Of course, if there is a strong side wind you will still get quite a bit of noise. It is after all a bike with a small frontal area so you are never going to get it as quiet as a 1200RT.

just my 2 cents. What works for one doesn't work for another. Experimenting is your best bet.
Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:40:16 PM by BenjaminCB

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 05:20:46 PM
Tomorrows ride will be on a 3mm spacer at the bottom, 6mm at the top.

On Thursday, 6mm top, 0mm bottom it was acceptable up to about 55mph. If I duck down at 70 mph I can feel the edge of the quiet bit.

When I picked the bike up, no spacers and the screen on the lower position it was horrible at 40 mph.

I'm trying to avoid fitting a deflector on top of the screen but that's probably the next move.

Andy

Online Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 10:27:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Andy M [+]
Tomorrows ride will be on a 3mm spacer at the bottom, 6mm at the top.

On Thursday, 6mm top, 0mm bottom it was acceptable up to about 55mph. If I duck down at 70 mph I can feel the edge of the quiet bit.

When I picked the bike up, no spacers and the screen on the lower position it was horrible at 40 mph.

I'm trying to avoid fitting a deflector on top of the screen but that's probably the next move.

Andy

stand up on the pegs at around 60mph....pure clean air :008: After much trial and error, I think if the screen works for you you're a lucky fella. Not saying it's not worth experimenting as you may find a sweet spot, but imho a decent helmet and quality ear plugs are the way to go, unless you're getting proper, serious buffeting (feels like someone is actually pushing your head from side to side, accompanied by a strange popping sound)...in which case, reduce the screen height, bin it all together or change bike. It's a deal breaker...like wearing boots three sizes too small or a XXXXL jacket when you're only a Medium; it's doable but not very pleasant

Online Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:47:57 PM
Something else to consider. The screen extensions or 'spoilers' do actually work BUT they don't work effectively at all speeds. You will find that you can set one up at a particular height and angle and it will be great at say 40-60 mph, but worse than before above those speeds. Similarly, you can set it up so that it works well at 70mph+ but it increases wind noise at 50-70mph, for example. They are not cheap (MRA etc.) and I must confess I was quite disappointed. If you do a lot of highway riding at speed then it is a good investment, but if you do lots of mixed riding I would invest in some really nice custom ear plugs. Great on the bike, great for sleeping on the ferry, or ignoring your partner :001:

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:09 AM
I must stop opening these screen topics, I don't have a problem with the standard screen, but end up wondering if I'm missing something!!   :008: :008: :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 04:31:24 PM
Andy try it with no screen fitted  :002:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 04:37:31 PM
The spacers have now moved the sweet spot to about 85 mph (if I were to test on a track of course). It is better at "actual" speeds though.

My Auritech and HJC combo are notably quiet on the CB500F, so taking the screen off or cutting in half is a option. I didn't try that first as the fairing is so high I figured it would act like a screen on its own.

I want something to keep spray off my phone too.

I might lower it again next then remove it.

Andy