Author Topic: Adjustable side stand  (Read 475 times)

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Adjustable side stand
on: July 27, 2020, 01:53:52 AM
 I'm short , have a 27" inseam and still some mobility issues from a stroke. So I had my dealer lower my bike with an adjustable link so it can easily be raised up in the future. It's lowered about 2.25 "

Had them also install an adjustable side stand I think it's from a company called PMR or PSR .

I am still having a bit of trouble getting on and off the bike swinging my leg over the seat. A friend of mine always stands on the left foot peg of his bike,  so the lift and swing action is easier for him.

I want to try this but am concerned about the side stand taking my weight ( 170 lbs +-)

I have also replaced the stock foot pegs with a set from a Goldwing , wider and more comfortable.
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline barko1

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 500x
Re: Adjustable side stand
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 05:00:04 AM
I'm afraid I don't know about that sidestand but I know the stock stand and mount hold me when I use it to mount and I'm 170 plus gear. It's  psr
(844) 761-2040

it's PSR

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:11:51 PM
*Originally Posted by DandyDoug [+]
I'm short , have a 27" inseam and still some mobility issues from a stroke. So I had my dealer lower my bike with an adjustable link so it can easily be raised up in the future. It's lowered about 2.25 "

Had them also install an adjustable side stand I think it's from a company called PMR or PSR .

I am still having a bit of trouble getting on and off the bike swinging my leg over the seat. A friend of mine always stands on the left foot peg of his bike,  so the lift and swing action is easier for him.

I want to try this but am concerned about the side stand taking my weight ( 170 lbs +-)

I have also replaced the stock foot pegs with a set from a Goldwing , wider and more comfortable.

Hey Dandy. I'm not sure about your adjustable side stand (the ones I've seen have pointy end), but I agree completely with barko1. At a 30" inseam, I get a hip cramp if I try to swing a leg over, and at around 34+" seat height on my RRL2, it just ain't happening. In fact all my bikes have been to tall to comfortably swing a leg over, I've used the peg on every one of them.

Now, to be sure, you will probably hear all sorts of dire warnings:
The stand will fail someday
The bike will move and the stand will collapse
The stand will sink into the ground and the bike will fall and kill you...
On and on..

Maybe  :006:  All I can tell you is that I've got several hundred k, always using the peg (sometimes the right peg if the bike is really leaning) and you know what - it's never fallen. Maybe tomorrow, could happen I guess.

My suggestion would be to:
Use a larger side stand base if you can get one
Make sure it's on firm ground (or at least firm enough)
Squeeze the front brake as you mount
Keep you weight centered on the bike

Best of luck, happy trails
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:37:05 PM
Thanks guy's , I appreciate the input.

The side stand itself has a reasonable foot at the ground point .
 I'll look into finding an additional wide foot to mount on it though.

I'm toying with the idea of raising the bike up to the next mounting point on the lowering link .  It's about 3/4th of an inch , and then moving the side stand up a notch .

The way it sits now I cannot put the machine on to the center stand by my self. I have been able to do it with help and using a 1" thick piece of plywood under the rear wheel.

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:15 AM
I mount the bike by standing on the left peg every time. I don't think the sidestand is the weak link, just be careful that the stand is on stable material. I've had the stand shift while planted in loose rocks or gravel. I don't think you have anything to worry about by getting on the bike by standing on the peg.

Online Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 10:59:10 AM
I am wondering if there has been an issue with pre 19MY sidestand as the 19/20MY sidestand have been beefed up, the outer part of the top mounting 'fork' is thicker now
I noticed this when I lowered my 19MY and fitted the 18MY side stand which is shorter and sits the bike correctly when lowered...you do need the 18MY pivot bolt as its shorter due the the thinner outer fork.
The existing pivot bolt just about operates the sidestand switch mechanism but leaves it exposed for dirt ingress.

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 09:09:08 PM
I changed my side stand back to the OEM.
 The adjustable one was out as far as it adjusts but the bike lean was so far that it made it awkward to get it straight up to ride.

The bike sits pretty straight up now , so I need to be mindful when I park .

I still cannot put the machine up on to the center stand by myself. I do have some boards cut to roll the bike on to and then lift . But even with them as a help it's just too much for me. ( my strength is still not back to what it was before the stroke )  :003:
And yes i know the proper way to use the center stand, I could put my Goldwing up with no problem back a few years ago..

I am looking in to an adjustable center stand , does anyone have any experience with one ????

Offline barko1

• CB500X Member
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 10:18:56 PM
Do you really need it?

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 10:52:10 PM
*Originally Posted by barko1 [+]
Do you really need it?

If you are referring to my question about an adjustable center stand. The answer is maybe.

I like to park the bike in the garage on the center stand and the OEM one is not working out for me because my bike is lowered .
 It seems I'm always wanting to clean, wax, or just in general for maintenance  so it makes all that easier.

If I can get more information on an adjustable center stand, I'll probably try it and if I like it either sell the OEM one or hold it for the next owner.
Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:52:52 PM by DandyDoug

Offline barko1

• CB500X Member
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 11:23:16 PM
It is a nice convenience.  My CB came with one, also came with a chain oiler so I don't need to center stand for that but you're right make general cleaning easier but of course no giant deal with out it.

victorious-backstage