Author Topic: Helmet requirements...am I asking too much?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Topo

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
Re: Helmet requirements...am I asking too much?
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 08:33:00 PM
Has anyone used these?
https://www.loopearplugs.com/

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 11:23:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
Has anyone used these?
https://www.loopearplugs.com/

I haven't seen those before. Looked at their website and tried to figure out what made them special, and all I could figure was the little loop that sticks outside the ear. I could be wrong, but to me that appears to be a product of marketing, not a product of innovation.

I've been using Plugfones for years, and absolutely love them. Plugfones provide great hearing protection, plus they allow me to listen to music, podcasts, map directions, etc.

Plugfones: https://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Ear-Plugs-Earbuds-Generation/dp/B0087IH2JY/

And this is what I plug them into: https://www.amazon.com/APEKX-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Hands-Free/dp/B01MUXYVOA/

This setup is so effective and so cheap that I've never been able to pull the trigger on integrated systems like Sena or Sharktooth. It also transfers off the bike really well, so when I get home from work and I have chores to do outside I can continue listening to a podcast after I take off my helmet.

Maybe not a setup for everyone, but it sure works great for me.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 11:41:40 AM
Loop might get pushed in by (tight) helmet?

I use 'Christmas Tree' type - I've worn with cord as shown, and I have sometimes cut the cord and a bit of the projection off for a more comfortable fit.  They are OK, I buy them at bike shows!
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 03:29:41 PM
I would have to see a review first before I would buy them-been wearing ear plugs for many years -tried way to many kinds have a box full of failures-if you think about it all your doing is buying something to fill your ear hole-but one a M/C alot of the wind noise is not coming in your ear but rather hitting the side of your head-stick your finger in your ear and scratch the side of your head can you hear it-if anyone can come up with a plug that really works I'll be the first inline
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Topo

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 05:19:42 PM
You're right...it's a transference of sound thru your skull. I've seen some new headphones that work on that principle. They don't stick into your ear, but simply rest on your bone structure.  With that in mind, this noise issue might be better solved with a helmet that isolates sound and dampens it. Do you have a preference of a helmet that can do that?

*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
......alot of the wind noise is not coming in your ear but rather hitting the side of your head-stick your finger in your ear and scratch the side of your head can you hear it-if anyone can come up with a plug that really works I'll be the first inline

Offline Topo

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 05:21:01 PM
Thanks Harry...I'll check that stuff out. What helmet do you like?

*Originally Posted by HarrySeaward [+]
I haven't seen those before. Looked at their website and tried to figure out what made them special, and all I could figure was the little loop that sticks outside the ear. I could be wrong, but to me that appears to be a product of marketing, not a product of innovation.

I've been using Plugfones for years, and absolutely love them. Plugfones provide great hearing protection, plus they allow me to listen to music, podcasts, map directions, etc.

Plugfones: https://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Ear-Plugs-Earbuds-Generation/dp/B0087IH2JY/

And this is what I plug them into: https://www.amazon.com/APEKX-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Hands-Free/dp/B01MUXYVOA/

This setup is so effective and so cheap that I've never been able to pull the trigger on integrated systems like Sena or Sharktooth. It also transfers off the bike really well, so when I get home from work and I have chores to do outside I can continue listening to a podcast after I take off my helmet.

Maybe not a setup for everyone, but it sure works great for me.

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 07:35:12 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
. . . .if anyone can come up with a plug that really works I'll be the first inline
Custom made plugs that are moulded to the shape of your inner ear. Not used them myself - way to much of a tight-wad to pay the serious amounts of cash these can cost - but a former proffesional Police rider pal swears by them. He has used them all of his riding life and he claims that the medics say his hearing loss is minimal, given his age.

My hearing is partialy shot due to high frequency aircraft engine noise, gunfire and BIG bangs . . . well, thats what I tell the wive  :164:

I never ride without plugs in nowadays.

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline Topo

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 07:38:53 PM
I have some customs...but they are very uncomfortable after a short period of time. They are many years old, so maybe there's some new material that is easier on the ears. I would really like comfort and ease of installing them. The foam takes too long to insert properly, and they eventually are uncomfortable.

*Originally Posted by Steve T [+]
Custom made plugs that are moulded to the shape of your inner ear. Not used them myself - way to much of a tight-wad to pay the serious amounts of cash these can cost - but a former proffesional Police rider pal swears by them. He has used them all of his riding life and he claims that the medics say his hearing loss is minimal, given his age.

My hearing is partialy shot due to high frequency aircraft engine noise, gunfire and BIG bangs . . . well, thats what I tell the wive  :164:

Steve T

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 09:52:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve T [+]

Steve T

My hearings also shot due to all of the above -earing ringing at 12K -80-90 DB - my big bang was three pounds of TNT really close not a scratch on me ears were never the same so really bad -tried custom plugs  better when your standing still no better on the bike---helmets Oh boy spent another small fortune on them gave up wear what ever and reuseable Silicon plugs- hopeing  right before I die things go quiet at lease for a few seconds
FYI when those music phones cause out in the 80's they were called bone phones and worked well

Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:54:41 PM by motorboy
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 11:38:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
Thanks Harry...I'll check that stuff out. What helmet do you like?

Shark Skwal 2.