Author Topic: Helmet requirements...am I asking too much?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Danm123

• CB500X Newbie
Re: Helmet requirements...am I asking too much?
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 02:12:35 AM
Very happy with my Scorpion Exo GT.  I canít say I have had a ton of helmets to compare it to but itís light, decent airflow and the option to flip up the face or just the visor is great.  It was damn cheap but feels like it offers solid protection.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 10:39:02 AM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
My hearings also shot due to all of the above -earing ringing at 12K -80-90 DB - my big bang was three pounds of TNT really close not a scratch on me ears were never the same so really bad -tried custom plugs  better when your standing still no better on the bike---helmets Oh boy spent another small fortune on them gave up wear what ever and reuseable Silicon plugs- hopeing  right before I die things go quiet at lease for a few seconds
FYI when those music phones cause out in the 80's they were called bone phones and worked well

+1, yes I have been down the same path.

Superplasma

Offline timur

• CB500X Master
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 12:21:10 PM
Just bought Shoei GT Air 2 - big improvement with noise after HJC cheap helmet. I'm quite sensitive to loud sounds - played piano in several bands and always complained about drummers. With Shoei it's very pleasant experience - I can hear better the engine and wind buffeting almost disappeared.
Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:21:50 PM by timur

Offline Bubbagazoo

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 11:42:39 PM
This thread has had a negative affect upon my bank account. After reading through it, I began looking for a new helmet that will place my Scorpion EXO-AT950 into strategic reserve status. I looked at what seemed like a bazillion reviews of a variety of helmets. My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told her I wanted permission to get a new helmet  (she knew I had been browsing). I had gotten down to three choices and went with the one that I could try on and purchase locally rather than relying solely on reviews. I came home on Wednesday with a Shoei RF-1200 that was 25% off regular retail because it is being replaced by the RF-1400. I checked and made sure the manufacture date was no more than 2 years. And, it has a 2 year warranty.
Iíll think of something later

Offline Topo

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 11:54:28 PM
What color? How much does it weigh? Have you tested it yet?

*Originally Posted by Bubbagazoo [+]
This thread has had a negative affect upon my bank account. After reading through it, I began looking for a new helmet that will place my Scorpion EXO-AT950 into strategic reserve status. I looked at what seemed like a bazillion reviews of a variety of helmets. My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told her I wanted permission to get a new helmet  (she knew I had been browsing). I had gotten down to three choices and went with the one that I could try on and purchase locally rather than relying solely on reviews. I came home on Wednesday with a Shoei RF-1200 that was 25% off regular retail because it is being replaced by the RF-1400. I checked and made sure the manufacture date was no more than 2 years. And, it has a 2 year warranty.

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 10:26:39 AM

I would have thought he would rather not get into a position where his new helmet is tested.  :005:

Offline Robbie-Box

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 12:07:53 PM
This thread is a perfect example of one size doesn't fit all, My mate is the same size as myself, we can swap jackets, glove even boots but certainly not helmets, he wears a Shark whereas I prefer Arai.
I guess I have an Arai shaped head, never felt the need for ear plugs.
Don't like the idea of having music or the phone connected in my helmet, too much of a distraction when out riding.
Bikes currently owned,1979 Honda CB550/4.
1988 Honda XBR500. 2003 Kawasaki W650.
2011 Kawasaki W800. 2016 Honda CB500X.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 12:53:43 PM
I have  try'd lots of hats,but allways find Arai the best for me, I think they are the best made of all the hats.

Superplasma

Offline Bubbagazoo

• CB500X Member
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 07:42:22 PM
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]

I would have thought he would rather not get into a position where his new helmet is tested.  :005:

It all depends upon what he means by "tested". No, I haven't gone for a ride with it. Roads are waaaaaay to icy and snow covered to even attempt to venture out of my garage. Colour -- RF-1200 Rumpus pattern in Red/Black. I have not weighed it but I can say it is lighter than my Scorpion EXO-AT950.

As for SuperPlasma's comment, he's absolutely correct. My head shape is such that I can wear "most" helmets. 17 years ago, when I got back into riding, my wife and I purchased a pair of sorta matching Shark helmets (I don't remember the model). Mine fit nicely. Hers, it turned out, gave her headaches after an hour or so because of the pressure points. So, we went shopping for replacement helmet for her (and I bought one as well). My next helmet was a $400 Scorpion while the only one that fit her was the $1000 Arai. That is just the shape of  her head.

Back when I was a motorcycle instructor, we would tell our students to buy the best helmet they could afford that fit them properly. No use spending a load of money on a helmet if it doesn't fit and you don't/won't wear it.
Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:44:37 PM by Bubbagazoo

Offline Bubbagazoo

• CB500X Member
Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 03:01:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]

Went for a 3 1/2 hour ride yesterday to burn away all of the Sta-Bil that was in the tank over the winter. First impressions of the RF1200 — why did I ever spend money on less expensive helmets. Very quiet compared to my EXO AT950. Wind noise was muted in comparison. You will never eliminate wind noise but the way this helmet fits, noise is well managed.

The venting in this unit is phenomenal. Temperature was at 15C so there was really no need for venting but I had to try it out. I opened the brow vent and felt like I had stuck my head in a refrigerator.

I ride with my CB500X windscreen in the high position. The wind flowing over and around the helmet did not affect my head position at all. My Scorpion, even with the peak removed, gets pushed around by the air flowing by and over my head.

Overall, a fantastic piece of gear. Once it is on my head, it fits great. It’s a bit tight going on. I think with a bit of breaking in (and maybe better technique on my part), it will become easier to fit over my ears.

And a correction to my post right after purchasing this lid — it has a 5 year from date of purchase manufacturer warranty.
Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:02:45 AM by Bubbagazoo