Author Topic: One Bike to Keep?  (Read 849 times)

Online Sorg67

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
One Bike to Keep?
on: July 27, 2020, 06:01:27 PM
I have three bikes - KLX 250S, Versys 650 and CB500X.

I am planning to sell two and keep one.  I am leaning towards keeping the CB500X.  I use it mostly for bopping around town and short day rides.  Usually 100 miles or less.  Most I have ever ridden in a day is about 250 miles.

No serious off road use.  I am thinking the CB500X is optimal for this purpose.  I would lean towards the Versys if I was going to do bigger rides and the KLX250X if I was going to do more off road.

Does that make sense?

I am currently working on some maintenance on the CB500X and riding the Versys mostly.  Planning to work on the CB500X from now through December.  My kids will be home then.  Maybe we will take some rides and having three bikes would be good for that.  Then sell KLX and Versys next year.

I am thinking about kitting the CB500X out nicely as my keeper.  So my question is; what would you do to customize?  Looking for ideas.

Upgrade suspension?

New seat?

Wind screen?

Luggage?

Lights?

Bearings?

Grips?

Crash bars?

Exhaust?

ECM upgrade?

Of course most of this is personal preference.  Only I can know what benefits me.  Just looking for thoughts and ideas.

Offline JRW2007

• CB500X Member
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:36:33 PM
I am in similar boat. I have 2016 Versys 650 and 2019 CB500X.  both have their pluses.  The Versys is a lot better on highway for 12 hours.  which I have to do to get the fun rides....... Colorado etc.  But once their, the Versys is too heavy for me and 17" front wheel, so not willing to do anything but flat easy fire roads.  With the CB500 I would be more willing to adventure to go over mountain passes etc.  But on the highway, the CB500 has a lot of handle bat vibration at 75 t0 80 MPH.  So the long treks across Kansas or Nebraska get tough.  I like both bikes a lot.  both have their strengths.

Online Sorg67

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 11:07:35 PM
Yup, that is it exactly.

My Versys is 2013 and CB500X is 2014

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 08:19:43 AM
I love my 500X, but if you don't go off road, and can stand the extra weight..... the Versys 650 must be tempting as a great road bike with a good bit more power!!   :084:

Keep them both.  :034:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline Prestone

• CB500X Member
  • bikes, boobs and guns, what more do i need
  • Bike: CB500X/ZRX1200R
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:29 AM
In that scenario i had kept the Versys, which also is a damn good bike! I had one for a few days when my ZRX were in for warranty reperation, it was a blast

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:19:50 AM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
I love my 500X, but if you don't go off road, and can stand the extra weight..... the Versys 650 must be tempting as a great road bike with a good bit more power!!   :084:

Keep them both.
:034:

+1
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online Sorg67

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 03:14:19 PM

Keep them both.  :034:

I do not go off road much and the Versys power and substance is appealing.  The Versys does not weight that much more, but it carries its weight higher so at slow speeds if feels heavier and is more difficult to catch a slow speed bobble with a foot.  I have set it down twice in parking lots.

The CB500X is light, easy and confidence inspiring.  It is a little vibby at highway speeds, but very smooth and comfortable on back roads up to 65 mph or so.  I have never done any overnighting so I am usually riding light.  I have a top case for small loads.

I had five bikes at one point.  I sold the Harley and DRZ400S.  Trying to simplify.  Really want to get down to one bike and learn to service and care for it really well.  Also free up some garage space.

The CB500X was my son's college bike.  He wants me to keep it.  When he gets settled someplace he want to buy it from me.  Or maybe it will be a birthday present at some point.

Offline JRW2007

• CB500X Member
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 03:34:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]
I do not go off road much and the Versys power and substance is appealing.  The Versys does not weight that much more, but it carries its weight higher so at slow speeds if feels heavier and is more difficult to catch a slow speed bobble with a foot.  I have set it down twice in parking lots.

The CB500X is light, easy and confidence inspiring.  It is a little vibby at highway speeds, but very smooth and comfortable on back roads up to 65 mph or so.  I have never done any overnighting so I am usually riding light.  I have a top case for small loads.

I had five bikes at one point.  I sold the Harley and DRZ400S.  Trying to simplify.  Really want to get down to one bike and learn to service and care for it really well.  Also free up some garage space.

The CB500X was my son's college bike.  He wants me to keep it.  When he gets settled someplace he want to buy it from me.  Or maybe it will be a birthday present at some point.

Well said.  Versys is top heavy.  CB500 is extremely easy to handle and great on backs roads up to 65 or so.  I need a Versys that transforms into a CB when I hit 5000 feet elavation!!  For some reason, the CB500X looks and seems "cooler" to me too.  I look at it and I want to keep it.  But Versys is a go all day, many many miles bike. 
Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:39:19 PM by JRW2007

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 05:39:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]

To be honest, I did a 160 mile day ride at the weekend, and didn't want any other bike than my 500X - it's light, comfortable, reliable and will sit at the speed limit all day.  Dropping a gear and opening the throttle gives that bit extra for overtaking, and all with such excellent fuel consumption.  Perfect bike.

Sell the other two!! :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline JRW2007

• CB500X Member
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 05:54:34 PM
To be honest, I did a 160 mile day ride at the weekend, and didn't want any other bike than my 500X - it's light, comfortable, reliable and will sit at the speed limit all day.  Dropping a gear and opening the throttle gives that bit extra for overtaking, and all with such excellent fuel consumption.  Perfect bike.

Sell the other two!! :008:

its the 600 to 800 miles days that I prefer the Versys.  But those are only one the big trips once or twice a year. Otherwise love the CB500X!!  and I want the CB when I get to the other end of the 600 miles for the mountains.  Maybe I should just move closer to the mountains!!

victorious-backstage