Author Topic: One Bike to Keep?  (Read 814 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sorg67

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 44
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 09:49:19 PM
Furthest I have ever ridden in a day was 250 miles.  That was on the Versys.  That was a long day for me. 

I think the CB500X is the best fit for my needs.  But I like every bike I have ever owned.  Ever ridden for that matter.  They are all appealing in their own way.

I could have ten and want one more.  But I think one is enough for me at this stage of the game.

Offline DHCBX

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Bike: CB500X 20MY
  • Country: gb
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 10:20:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]
Furthest I have ever ridden in a day was 250 miles.  That was on the Versys.  That was a long day for me. 

I think the CB500X is the best fit for my needs.  But I like every bike I have ever owned.  Ever ridden for that matter.  They are all appealing in their own way.

I could have ten and want one more.  But I think one is enough for me at this stage of the game.


I picked my new CBX up a couple of months ago and rode 240 miles home, brand new bike on brand new tyres and journey was a mix of bright sunshine and typical summer showers, didn't feel tired at all when i arrived home.

only surprise was having to stop to fuel up before i got home (consumption definitely starts to plummet north of 65MPH!)

If i'd tried to do that sort of mileage on anything less than an 'adventure styled' bike i'd have to of been lifted off the bike.


Offline DandyDoug

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 12:09:27 AM
Which ever bike you decide on the best money you can spend is on suspension.

I'm a bit biased from my road racing days ( yes I know it was in ancient times)

Seriously you take an average rider on an average bike, upgrade the suspension and suddenly it's a whole different machine.
 The rider improves, thinks about his/her best corners and lap times. Then little by little with incremental adjustments
 ( the stock suspension doesn't have much adj.) he /she gets better and enjoy's the hobby more.

All the other stuff on your list is ok, but my money buy's shocks and forks  :062:
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline JRW2007

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: us
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:42:39 AM
*Originally Posted by DHCBX [+]

I picked my new CBX up a couple of months ago and rode 240 miles home, brand new bike on brand new tyres and journey was a mix of bright sunshine and typical summer showers, didn't feel tired at all when i arrived home.

only surprise was having to stop to fuel up before i got home (consumption definitely starts to plummet north of 65MPH!)

If i'd tried to do that sort of mileage on anything less than an 'adventure styled' bike i'd have to of been lifted off the bike.

I plan to give a long road ride on it a shot.  maybe a three day trip.  I just love the bike.  but can't keep two, so need some more testing top pick the keeper.   

Offline Swanny

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 871
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
  • Country: england
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 09:20:44 AM
Longest ride I've ever done was about 450 miles in 12 hours on my CB1300
Can't imagine sitting on the X for 12 hours  :033:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline timur

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 395
  • Country: es
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 10:19:49 AM
*Originally Posted by DandyDoug [+]
Which ever bike you decide on the best money you can spend is on suspension.
Yess!! Definitely the best decision I made with CB - Nitron shock and RRP fork kit - it's amazing how it improved the riding. Now I have Vstrom 650 and should sell the CB500X but CB is lot better on twisties. And I'm very sad to have selling it - it's too good bike for 4500 euros it costs on second hand market.

Offline Sorg67

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 44
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 10:32:44 AM
*Originally Posted by DandyDoug [+]
Which ever bike you decide on the best money you can spend is on suspension.

I'm a bit biased from my road racing days ( yes I know it was in ancient times)

Seriously you take an average rider on an average bike, upgrade the suspension and suddenly it's a whole different machine.
 The rider improves, thinks about his/her best corners and lap times. Then little by little with incremental adjustments
 ( the stock suspension doesn't have much adj.) he /she gets better and enjoy's the hobby more.

All the other stuff on your list is ok, but my money buy's shocks and forks  :062:

Upgrading the suspension appeals to me.  I am not a spirited rider so I am not sure about the performance characteristics.  But I feel like upgraded shocks would give the bike a more solid feel. 

I do not know much about motorcycle suspension.  I also think upgrading the suspension would be an interesting learning experience.

How much would I expect to spend upgrading the suspension?

Offline timur

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 395
  • Country: es
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]
Upgrading the suspension appeals to me.  I am not a spirited rider so I am not sure about the performance characteristics.  But I feel like upgraded shocks would give the bike a more solid feel. 

I do not know much about motorcycle suspension.  I also think upgrading the suspension would be an interesting learning experience.

How much would I expect to spend upgrading the suspension?
Decent shock would cost aroud 500-600 euros. Fork cartridge kit around 600-700 euros or some sort of emulators + springs around 300-400. Add work cost - maybe 120 euros. Another option is to buy second hand shock and fork kit - it would cost half the price.

If you really want to keep the CB500X it worths the effort.

Regards,

Timur

Offline Sorg67

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 44
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 02:25:12 PM
Is upgrading suspension doable by a novice?

Offline DandyDoug

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: One Bike to Keep?
Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 02:45:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Sorg67 [+]
Upgrading the suspension appeals to me.  I am not a spirited rider so I am not sure about the performance characteristics.  But I feel like upgraded shocks would give the bike a more solid feel. 

I do not know much about motorcycle suspension.  I also think upgrading the suspension would be an interesting learning experience.

How much would I expect to spend upgrading the suspension?

The answer to that question falls in to the relm of a racer talking to an engine builder; Racer : I want to go really fast . Faster than everyone else , can you build me that motor ?

Engine builder : how much money do you have ?
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

 



victorious-backstage