Author Topic: helmets  (Read 402 times)

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
helmets
on: July 30, 2020, 08:13:15 AM
Hi all well i have two helmets a oneil sierra 2 and an rjays tour tech 3 some may know the oneil but i think the tour tech is aus only . the oneil has its problems so i decided to wear the rjays anyway much to my disapointment it has a major fogging problem , not so much during the day but on cold mornings you have to ride with the visor up otherwise it is like looking through a steamed mirror .
I changed from the oniell because of the wind buffering i was getting and the in built visor when used smacks me in the nose ,now i know that neither of these helmets are expensive but the tourtech has massive noise issues as well which is a pain , i will probably go back to the oneil even though your head needs to be on a spring , i think what annoys me the most is someone like oneil who are a fairly large player would have at least put a peak on the helmet that is somewhat aero dynamic for on the high way ,both helmets are fairly comfortable and i suppose this is what you get in the middle range of helmets .

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X MY2018
Re: helmets
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 08:47:28 AM
I'm not familiar with rjays, but can you get a Pinlock visor for it?...'the' most effective thing I've used to prevent a foggy visor!  :002:

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:40:19 PM
I have an anti fog solution that I apply to the inside of my Klim Krios that has a fogging issue.  I got the anti fog solution that a friend gave me who works at the hospital.  It's used by surgeons to apply fo their face shields and works very well.

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:11:08 AM
Hi guys yes i am definatley going to have to try to find something riding with the sheild up at 1 degree is not fun at all and if i have it down it is just dangerous .

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:01 AM
Polish the I side of your visir with shaving foam or washing up liquid...it lasts a while
All that's needed is a surfactant, it lowers the surface tension between the visor and your breath...
That's how shaving foam helps the razor blade glide over your skin..or food off your plate and utensils.
Nothing fancy and expensive in a little bottle that coats a fortune required.

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 03:00:28 AM
Thanks oyley ill try it

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:06:30 PM
You should be able to just crack the shield to keep air flow and just lift it at stop. There are a number of anti-fog solutions for diving masks.

https://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-Multi-Use-Anti-Fog-Coatings/dp/B003RLF4H8

It's available to you
https://www.fishpond.co.nz/Sunglasses/Sports-Accessories-Cat-Crap-Spray-On-Lens-Cleaner-Anti-Fog-30ml/0769557630305

However pinlock is the only solid solution.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos>
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 04:21:45 AM
Hi all unfortunately oxley it didnt work for me i have however secured 2 x catcrap from a guy here .Most of the larger bike dealers dont stock it but after watching the video that macdoc posted i thought what the heck ill give it a go looks like a lot of people have bought it as he has sold 204 of them .You can get them on amazon but you have to buy in bulk and its about 280.00 or some silly price cost me 26 dollars for 2 so it isnt such a big deal if it is a flop but if it works it was worth the effort .

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 07:44:53 AM
Whatever you buy for your visor I would put money on the product having some form of a surfactant in its makeup.
The examples I gave are just cheap and readily available products and have only worked for me for only around  forty to fifty years.
You do have to repeat the procedure.
If I were there and had two identical visors..treated one and not the other and breathed on them,I know which would fog up.
If you dont have pinlock nowadays you are inviting your visor to fog up.
Even pinlock visits can fog up after lots of cleaning as minor surface scratches appear and where the fogging starts...
I just took a break from typing this, went into the bathroom, put a drop of a gel handwash on the mirror, polished it in a circle until the smear had gone.
Then I kept breathing on the mirror and guess what.. It fogged up all around the perimeter of where I had polished the gel handwashing.
Try it...I just used toilet tissue so most of it got absorbed but it worked.
Anyone reading this..try it and see
This is how RainX works on glass and how many moss/mould inhibitors work along with other chemicals to inhibit growth...the surfactant reduced the surface tension and the ability for things to 'get a grip'
All these products work the same way.
I'm not the expert here and I explained what I know works and he went into all the  technical jargon..he is the the guy with the degree in this field and has a business manufacturing products that use surfactants.Google the word and it will pretty much make you wish you had not..its that involved

victorious-backstage