Honda CB500X

Main CB500X Boards => CB500X - General Chat => Topic started by: UnmzldOx on December 14, 2018, 08:02:39 PM

Title: Deer Crossing
Post by: UnmzldOx on December 14, 2018, 08:02:39 PM
Too close. I'l post video on YT when I have time. Going 60 mph on morning commute.
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: ewryly on December 14, 2018, 10:54:50 PM
That'll negate your need for coffee. Glad it was just close.
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: Jonathan on December 14, 2018, 11:27:38 PM
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
Too close. I'l post video on YT when I have time. Going 60 mph on morning commute.

Who's the one with the red nose in the background?
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: UnmzldOx on December 15, 2018, 03:00:27 AM
It's the same Rudolf in each frame. Middle, bottom, then top. My video software (Sony) isn't playing well with Win8 today, so no edited video until resolved.
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: ThirtyOne on December 15, 2018, 07:43:56 AM
One of my biggest fears. I hit a deer when I was 16 in my first car. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was on a bike.
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: bullroarer on December 15, 2018, 12:47:40 PM
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
One of my biggest fears. I hit a deer when I was 16 in my first car. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was on a bike.
Me too. These animals are a real pain, and there are more than ever and so many cars have been wrecked as a result, fortunately no bikers that Iím aware of.
  Trouble is , they jump across the roads between the hedges , and being the colour of the forest they appear invisible.
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: Herman on December 15, 2018, 04:16:14 PM
And they oft travel in a family unit so where the mum goes the two younguns follow. 
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: SnowOwl on December 15, 2018, 04:35:53 PM
Rule #1 - NEVER CROSS A DEER !!!  They are easily offended.

A couple weeks ago I was heading home from work after dark.  On a winding county road I came out of a nice right curve to see several deer right at the right edge of the road.  It looked like they had just crossed, their butts were toward the road, and the lead deer had stopped to find the opening into the dense brush.  The other 3 deer were tightly bunched up behind the lead deer.  As I rounded the curve at 60+ mph and lit them up they laid their ears back.  Luckily there was no other traffic on the road, so I let off the throttle and moved over to the other side of the road.  The rear-most deer turned toward me and froze.  I think it was my very bright aux lighting with a total of 6000 lumens that triggered the freeze response in the deer.  They were lit up like daylight and deer tend to freeze for a moment when they canít see.  They stayed frozen until I was passed them, thank God!

A BMW rider I know with lots of lights on his bike told me about this freeze response he has seen in the deer when he encounters them at night.  I had put the lights on my bike shortly after talking to him.  So glad I did, it really works, at least around here.
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: Jonathan on December 15, 2018, 06:33:37 PM
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Rule #1 - NEVER CROSS A DEER !!!  They are easily offended.

A couple weeks ago I was heading home from work after dark.  On a winding county road I came out of a nice right curve to see several deer right at the right edge of the road.  It looked like they had just crossed, their butts were toward the road, and the lead deer had stopped to find the opening into the dense brush.  The other 3 deer were tightly bunched up behind the lead deer.  As I rounded the curve at 60+ mph and lit them up they laid their ears back.  Luckily there was no other traffic on the road, so I let off the throttle and moved over to the other side of the road.  The rear-most deer turned toward me and froze.  I think it was my very bright aux lighting with a total of 6000 lumens that triggered the freeze response in the deer.  They were lit up like daylight and deer tend to freeze for a moment when they can’t see.  They stayed frozen until I was passed them, thank God!

A BMW rider I know with lots of lights on his bike told me about this freeze response he has seen in the deer when he encounters them at night.  I had put the lights on my bike shortly after talking to him.  So glad I did, it really works, at least around here.

I remember seeing a video about a guy that was about to fit a deer scare on his Harley....I thought he was either taking the piss or referring to some arcane Harley-based accessory but no....it was a 12v noise emitter that produced a tone that deer find particularly unpleasant. Never heard of them before


Round here we just have the occasional sheep on the moorland roads...they don't give a toss...they just stand there giving you a nonchalant look whilst chewing
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: Jonathan on December 15, 2018, 06:38:39 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QSBY6IM

here's a wind powered one for peanuts...worth a try

I'm now looking for one that policemen find unbearable...
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: SnowOwl on December 15, 2018, 07:39:04 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QSBY6IM

here's a wind powered one for peanuts...worth a try

I'm now looking for one that policemen find unbearable...
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: Hillie on December 15, 2018, 10:57:32 PM
I've used the $7-ish Bell plastic deer whistles on my truck for a number of years now. I don't regularly encounter them, but I've seen them pretty much ignore cars passing by, but they got alarmed and ran off when I got closer. This has happened a few times. Some swear by them, others think they're nonsense. From my experience (!!!!) they seem (!!!!) to work as per their intended idea. I've been toying with the idea of adding them to the bike. They're small and can be put up front somewhere.

Mine are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CC4O58
Title: Re: Deer Crossing
Post by: 2Bpencil on December 16, 2018, 03:05:13 PM
My only experience with a deer whistle was touring Alaska. One of the guys in a group I joined up with had one fitted to his bike. Apparently a moose tried to mount him + he ended up in a ditch, luckily unharmed. Maybe what hurts a deer's hearing is a mating call for a moose?