Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: coffman shorty exhaust  (Read 10308 times)

Offline gnfreak

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Normal, Illinois
Re: coffman shorty exhaust
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 03:07:56 AM »
still happy with it. about the only thing is a little popping between shifts on the 1-2 shift. probably need some kind of programmer to get rid of that. or just leave as is as its not really bothersome.

Offline Dylanxxx

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »
Was very unsure of and exhaust to go with but I think I'm sold on this one looks much better than most exhausts I've seen due to it being short and a decent price, one question did you need to do anything to the bike after install like rejetting?

Offline fabio

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
wonderful exhaust! and minimalistic! love it! even sound looks good!
however, the popping when shifting could be a signal of altered carburation: don't know if this could be dangerous for the engine on the long run...

Offline Nomad Racing

• CB500X Member
  • Desert Racer
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X and 2 KTMs
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »
Modified carburation? Nope it's fuel injected!

The noise on the over-run shouldn't do any harm, lots of bikes do this as standard, my BMW F800GS would pop and bang all the time, despite having the stock silencer fitted. It does seem to be a characteristic of bikes that are set up to run very lean for good fuel economy, like the X the F800's use electronics to run the engine very lean indeed, in fact at levels that would be potentially harmful in a carburetted engine. This is achieved through some pretty smart programming of the ECU.

As long as the new silencer is not too far from the standard settings the ECU should be able to compensate.

Then you get something like my 990ADV which makes a heck of a racket on the over-run despite being correctly set up with Akrapovic end cans (Factory option) and the KTM Factory ECU re-map.... And that certainly isn't economical but it does sound loverly! :164:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:14:52 PM by Nomad Racing »
Tony

NOMAD RACING

2015 Honda CB500X + 2011 KTM 990 Adventure + 2006 KTM 450 Rally

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
Bikes with air injection to clean up exhaust for emissions will also pop in the exhaust, like an after fire or exhaust back fire.I don't think any of the CB-X came with this,but a lot carb bikes do,depending on destination countries emissions standards.

Offline McVicar

• CB500X Pro
  • Somerset, England
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Red CB500X
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
What I like about this can is that you can then remove the pillion footpegs. ( If you don't carry a pillion of course )

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chicoutimi, QC
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
Wow!  best after market exhaust I've heard and seen so far. Would be nice if someone knew if it work with a centre stand without any mods..

_pete, thanks for sharing
__pete

Offline crisb

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »
First aftermarket exhaust that might tempt me if/when I have the spare $$ available. I've never felt a bit of extra throatiness worth the spend, but all that cleared space around the rear wheel just might be.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 04:38:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
Bikes with air injection to clean up exhaust for emissions will also pop in the exhaust, like an after fire or exhaust back fire.I don't think any of the CB-X came with this,but a lot carb bikes do,depending on destination countries emissions standards.
500X does have air injection
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline crazy doctor

• CB500X God
  • crazy doctor
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500-x black
  • City / Town: chok chai
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
just cap off the air pipe and it will stop the poping and banging easy to do there is a video on you tube on how to do it doc

Recent Topics