Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant usage  (Read 15507 times)

Offline Cam

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Coolant usage
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »
Not had that issue sorry.  If you're sure it is coolant I'd check in with your dealer anyway, better to be safe than sorry?

Offline michae1636

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Trimont
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
I have a damp spot under the overflow drain that keeps getting bigger. I have not driven it in weeks and it is getting pretty cold here in MN. I have over 9 thousand miles on mine and didn't check the level till around 4 thousand and it was empty (expansion tank). Last winter it did not do this.

Offline marsonpee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
on my coolant tank there is a marking at an angle for checking the level whilst on the side stand. I imagine that when on the centrestand it will always drop below the markers because it is designed to be read on a slant?

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 06:38:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Spiny >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Hi Guys,

I just wondered if anyone has had issues with the bike using a lot of coolant.

After the first service I checked my coolant level and it was below the minimum. So was a bit cheesed off with the dealer for not checking. Any way I decided to fill it up to between the min and max marks.

That was 3 weeks ago. I've just checked the level again and I'm below the minimum again?? Now I have checked all the connections for leaks etc and if I had a big leak I'd expect it to squirt out while riding or there be small puddles under the bike every morning, but no. There's no sign anywhere of a leak???

I'm really puzzled by this I can't believe it's using that much coolant. The coolant I did top up before was the recommended kind and yes I have let the bike run and checked the levels again.

I've filled it again today and made a note of the level so will check again in a few days.

Any clues or anyone had a similar experience?

Hey Spiny

My bike is at 500 miles and going in for its first service in a week. I decided to read through my manual as was looking at the windshield, and came across the coolant part, checked it on the bike, noticed it was way below the coolant minimum and decided to check on here for any one else having had any issues.

Glad to see it wasn't just me! Now need to go and get the green coolant - do you use official Honda coolant or an equivalent from Halfords?
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
The coolant system on the CB works like the old cars from the 60's and 70's.As the engine heats up,coolant expands.It has to go somewhere, so it bypasses the radiator cap, and goes into the coolant tank.As the engine cools down, some is sucked back into the system.As long as there is coolant in there,it should be fine.Mine has been at the low level since it was new.It has never deviated from that line by more than 3mm.I do have a little grease film on the overflow hose, from the steam that is put off.I've never had a drip or anything else.I do run my bike hard.I got it in mid March 2015.I have 5000 US miles on it and never an issue.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 04:31:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl >>>> link hidden <<<<
The coolant system on the CB works like the old cars from the 60's and 70's.As the engine heats up,coolant expands.It has to go somewhere, so it bypasses the radiator cap, and goes into the coolant tank.As the engine cools down, some is sucked back into the system.As long as there is coolant in there,it should be fine.Mine has been at the low level since it was new.It has never deviated from that line by more than 3mm.I do have a little grease film on the overflow hose, from the steam that is put off.I've never had a drip or anything else.I do run my bike hard.I got it in mid March 2015.I have 5000 US miles on it and never an issue.
New cars too use that system
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline crisb

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:13:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy >>>> link hidden <<<<

Cars from the 60s and early 70s used the system where there was no overflow so they needed frequent topping up. Often during a long journey where if you weren't careful you got boiling water sprayed straight up into your face  and torso ;)

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »
Just spoke to the technician at the Honda dealer where I bought the bike and where it is going for its first service next week. He said there is no problem if I topped up with pink OAT antifreeze that is recommended in other motorbikes (>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login) and that I already have pre-mixed in my garage. This would be mixing pink OAT with the green stuff currently in the bike.  Other people have said it causes a problem such as for bearings or making the coolant turn jelly-like, but the guy just laughed the latter off and said the former was an issue for cars because of their bearings, but not for bikes. I'm a bit confused.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:22:41 AM by O8ride »
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy >>>> link hidden <<<<

Yes but few do.Most have a no loss closed cooling system.My '98 Cavalier does and it's wonderful.Other than a flush and fill ever five years,I never touch the cooling system.I usually change the hoses and serpentine belt then.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by O8ride >>>> link hidden <<<<
Just spoke to the technician at the Honda dealer where I bought the bike and where it is going for its first service next week. He said there is no problem if I topped up with pink OAT antifreeze that is recommended in other motorbikes (>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login) and that I already have pre-mixed in my garage. This would be mixing pink OAT with the green stuff currently in the bike.  Other people have said it causes a problem such as for bearings or making the coolant turn jelly-like, but the guy just laughed the latter off and said the former was an issue for cars because of their bearings, but not for bikes. I'm a bit confused.

Usually the only bearing the coolant touches is the water pump bearing,and the thermostat bushing.

Recent Topics