Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant usage  (Read 14683 times)

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Coolant usage
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 05:32:40 PM »
Thanks everyone and sorry for opening back up an old thread. Found that one of my local bike shops that focuses on cheap Chinese stuff now used to be a honda dealer and he had some blue castrol coolant that he always uses and mixes without any problems. Moreover, the bottle has an extendable spout that meant I didn't have to remove the side panel or buy some hose. Result!
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline blowpipe

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
Just checked mine on the back of this, and yes the level was well below the minimum level, only marginally above the outlet pipe at the bottom. Warmed it up to working temperature and it only lifted by a fraction. Just over 3,000 miles on my 2013 CB, never lost a drop on my 40,000 mile VFR.

Mr Honda, think you have a problem here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:37:34 PM by blowpipe »

Offline ngling

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rockhampton
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
Done nearly 12.000 km on my X and coolant has not changed at all. Considering I ride in pretty warm conditions, that's pretty good.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl >>>> link hidden <<<<
Yes but few do.Most have a no loss closed cooling system.My '98 Cavalier does and it's wonderful.Other than a flush and fill ever five years,I never touch the cooling system.I usually change the hoses and serpentine belt then.
We maybe talking about 2 different things  I'm referring to radiator recovery systems used on water cooled engines  All cars since mid 70's and all water cooled motorcycles(road bikes) use recovery systems  they have to a sealed system would blow up when the pressure rises   the coolant has to go somewhere it goes in the recovery tank and is pulled back in the radiator when the pressure reverses    this includes your 98 GM  you might not need to touch it  but it's still there   the only water cooled bike that I can think of that did not let you add coolant to the tank itself is the 1972-77 GT750 Suzuki you added through the radiator cap
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:02:26 PM by motorboy »
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
I agree with motorboy, every liquid cooled engine I've ever seen has an expansion tank of necessity as liquid coolant expands when heated. The tank will usually have min and max levels marked on it. A totally closed or sealed system would go bang when heated, as the coolant has nowhere to expand to, unless like central heating there was a flexible diaphragm to allow for this. If so It's a new one on me. Any system will incur loss if it leaks.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy >>>> link hidden <<<<
We maybe talking about 2 different things  I'm referring to radiator recovery systems used on water cooled engines  All cars since mid 70's and all water cooled motorcycles(road bikes) use recovery systems  they have to a sealed system would blow up when the pressure rises   the coolant has to go somewhere it goes in the recovery tank and is pulled back in the radiator when the pressure reverses    this includes your 98 GM  you might not need to touch it  but it's still there   the only water cooled bike that I can think of that did not let you add coolant to the tank itself is the 1972-77 GT750 Suzuki you added through the radiator cap

Correct.Close system use the air,or head space,in the coolant recovery tank to prevent overflow.My car has a closed system.The radiator has no fill cap.My coolant recovery tank has an 18psi cap.When the pressure reaches 18psi,it vents air above the coolant in the recovery tank.When it cools down enough to create a vacuum,it sucks air back in.No coolant ever passes the cap in my system,unless the cap is faulty.

This is not my car but mine is identical to the Cavalier.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »
Way back when, the radiator itself had space at the top which performed the same function as a header tank, or expansion tank, as it allowed space for expansion. Probably changed to separate tank to permit lower bonnet lines to reduce drag coefficients.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Defender >>>> link hidden <<<<
Way back when, the radiator itself had space at the top which performed the same function as a header tank, or expansion tank, as it allowed space for expansion. Probably changed to separate tank to permit lower bonnet lines to reduce drag coefficients.

:028:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline blowpipe

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »
Perhaps loss is down to the rubber cap on the filler tube?

Strikes me that if this doesn't make a tight seal you're going to suffer loss through evaporation.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »
Whatever it is, it needs investigating. There's only two places it can go, out of the system, or into the engine, which I'd guess is unlikely in this case. Any fluid loss, be it coolant, brake fluid or engine oil, needs looking at, in my opinion, if only for reassurance.

Recent Topics