Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Goofy fuel warning?  (Read 9492 times)

Offline billyedtimmy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & VT750
  • City / Town: Duncan, BC
Goofy fuel warning?
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:20:28 AM »
I've got just over 3000km on my X, and until last week I'd never let the fuel get below 2 bars. Well, last week I decided to see how far I could take it (within reason).

It appears that once I got around 400km on the tank, on uphills the fuel gauge would suddenly start flashing and the odometer would switch to '0.0l'.

Eventually, this '0.0l' continued unabated even in flat and downhill stretches. So, I headed to the gas station.

(1) Now WHY in the world would it flash 0.0 at me? I would have guessed that it would at least tell me that I had a certain number of km or litres left before the tank ran out, right? Regardless, I rode it for another 20 or so km before filling up.
(2) On top of the unreliable 'km left' estimate (assuming that's what it was trying to tell me), it was completely off-base in terms of how much I actually had left in the tank: When I filled it to the top, I used 12.7 liters on what I understand to be a 17 liter tank, which means I had over 4 liters still in the tank (which is around 100km left at the consumption rate I've been traveling at) when it was telling me I was essentially empty.

What gives, Honda?

Anyone else noticed this oddity?

Perhaps the programming on our X's defaults to the 500R & 500F tank capacities (which are less)? But that still doesn't answer why it told me I had '0.0' or whatever left.  :084:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:41:09 AM by billyedtimmy »

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: bath
Re: Goofy fuel warning?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:21 AM »
I noticed this annoying trait ... not very intuitive ...
the flashing 0.0 I believe tells you how much of the reserve in gallons you have used... i started to RTFM but lost the will/plot  so I think there is point something of a gallon (unspecified but my guess us gallons ..cannot thinking gallons anymore esp us) in the reserve.  so starts at 0.0 then 0.1 0.2... then I chickened out... personally I only trust my calculations ... .17.3 litre tank last fill I put 14.46 litres in ...
in the end fuel gauge is just that a gauge and will vary on angle of the bike and fuel sloshing around... and when bike gets aged like me and poor earth/connection on the sender fancy electronic display will become erratic.. and old farts like me can wax lyrical about manual fuel taps
BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Offline Xch

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:59 AM »
 See page 23 of the owners manual.

It counts from 0.0 litres up to 1.0 litres, and then starts to blink faster.

Page 19 states that it shouldn't come on until there is approximately 2.8 litres left in the tank.

Offline billyedtimmy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:19:50 PM »
Ah, ok, thanks! That is pretty counter-intuitive. Having not read the manual and 0.0L showing up flashing at me was a little unnerving. Odd that I had about 4L to go though rather than 2.3.  However, noting that the CB500F & CB500X tanks differ by 1.6 liters could explain (coincidence?).  :084:

Offline Maelzer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Luton
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
Already pushing my luck on a ride back home I just clicked / flashed over to 0.8 on the fuel reserve. Normally I never let it go below 0.5 before a fill up. But thinking the limit max was 1.0 and with only a few miles away from my local / favourite petrol station (i.e somewhere where I can collect Tesco club card points) I thought I would easily make it... Within a minute of hitting 0.8 my bike started to judder and the power just went! No choice, I pulled over and just laughed to myself, I had just ran out of petrol on one of the most economical bikes you can get :745:

Lucky for me I managed to find a good friend to bring me a 5L fuel can to get me started again (thanks mum :001:) Got to the petrol station without incident and filled up; Including the 5L can I put in 17.61L. I know its 0.31L more than the capacity, but I can account for that.

* There was still a bit left in the fuel can but a little bit dribbled out when filling it up.
* I travelled about 4 miles to get to the petrol station.
* More importantly I tanked up a little more to round up to the nearest pound, a bit OCD!

*Originally Posted by Xch [+]
See page 23 of the owners manual.

It counts from 0.0 litres up to 1.0 litres, and then starts to blink faster.

Page 19 states that it shouldn't come on until there is approximately 2.8 litres left in the tank.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:31:58 PM by Maelzer »

Offline billyedtimmy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »
Ah, thanks for taking one for the team! Now I know how long I can go into the 'flashing red' zone.  :001:

Offline crazy doctor

• CB500X God
  • crazy doctor
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500-x black
  • City / Town: chok chai
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »
Billyedtimmy I think Honda use the same meter in all 500 range same as the side stand Honda cutting costs to keep the price of the bike down.

Offline zsarakun

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »
Does anyone know just how far one can go on the gallons setting? Last night while riding home when hitting reserve I saw
and just before I shut off the bike I saw .04 gal

but to my dismay, after I filled up I saw that I had only purchased 3.83 gallons!!! Come on! I thought it was going to quit any second! I mean we can all go far on .67 gallons especially because it's a 4.8 gallon tank.

So my question is, does anyone know just how far we can go on the "gal" settings? I'm sick of stopping for fuel just because i'm down to a bar of fuel.

Offline Dave1899

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X Black
  • City / Town: Gainesville, FL
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 02:02:50 AM »
I just figure about 240 miles for a fill-up should keep me from calling AAA.  :038:

Offline zsarakun

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
Honestly tho that's not the way we should being doing it... to just ignore out fuel gauges just because we don't understand them.

anyone else?

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage