Author EMC (France) suspension kit on CB500X 2016  (Read 420 times)

• Offline thierryracing   fr

• CB500X Newbie  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline thierryracing

• CB500X Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CB500X & 1000CBX
    EMC (France) suspension kit on CB500X 2016
    on: February 09, 2024, 08:02:52 pm
    February 09, 2024, 08:02:52 pm
    I have installed an EMC SportShock 2 rear shock and the fork cartridge kit (made by Andreani) from EMC suspension, France on my CB500X MY 2016. The removal of the original valves at the bottom of the fork tubes does require a bit of expertise and mfg of few special tools but it's feasible. The RR schock installed in an hour (carefully lubricate joints & bearings). I recommend the remote hydraulic rear shock pre-load adjustment. I used the Motul Factory Line 2.5W oil in the fork. It's really another bike with these suspensions, it reveals the real potential of the frame and the geometry in general. A huge improvement both in confort and efficiency in braking, cornering, even bumpy curves at high speed. I live in Center France where the rural roads have not been maintained since JOA, and the X is my daily commuter, it's really another world, and much safer in any conditions. The settings (Pre-load, C and R hydraulic) are really easy to perform and to find the right settings based on targeted trip, load, passenger, etc... With the Motul 2.5W I'm still close to the midle of C and R adjustment span. I strongly recommend. I have 50.000 km on it, but should have done it before. Good trips to all.

• Offline Elemental   us

• CB500X Member  ‐    48

Offline Elemental

• CB500X Member
    • Bike: 2022 CB500X
    Re: EMC (France) suspension kit on CB500X 2016
    Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 02:52:30 am
    February 10, 2024, 02:52:30 am
    Did these upgrades change the ride height any? And, is that rear shock serviceable/rebuildable?
    ...says Red Molly, to James, "Well that's a fine motorbike. A girl could feel special on any such like."
    https://www.wanderingwithdave.com/

• Offline thierryracing   fr

• CB500X Newbie  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline thierryracing

• CB500X Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CB500X & 1000CBX
    Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 04:50:09 pm
    February 10, 2024, 04:50:09 pm
    The ride height is unchanged, the travel stroke is also same, but the SAG adjustment seems more "efficient" and I feel the suspensions, mainly the fork is far more effective from the first centimeters of travel.
    The original fork has plastic spacers and short springs, here with the cartridge you dump the spacers and install longer springs, working better on the full travel stroke. The thing is that with the remote mounted hydraulic pre-load adj it takes just few secs to adjust height even for a short ride with pillion. When you have to do one hour of mechanic to do it:  you leave it is it is in most cases.
    As for the rebuild possibility of the RR shock, yes EMC is doing this, just need to ship it back to them and they overhaul the shock completely in few days. they are selling a lot to Off Road, ATVs and Motocross market, etc, so they rebuild quite often.

• Offline Neox   fr

• CB500X Pro  ‐    490

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • Bike: 2016 cb500x
    Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 07:46:30 pm
    February 10, 2024, 07:46:30 pm
    I also have a sportshock 2 on my 2016.
    Overall better than the original, but I find it mediocre or worse on cobbles. In these conditions, I feel like I have no suspension at all.
    The schock factory I had on another bike was much better on the cobbles. Like a magic carpet.
    ordered from the factory and gave my weight. If I lower the preload, the bike lifts its nose. I had to ease off 6 notches on the hydraulic adjustment.

good build quality, but I find this shock absorber more sporty than touring.

• Offline Mickleblade   fr

• CB500X Member  ‐    32

Offline Mickleblade

• CB500X Member
    Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 07:59:24 pm
    February 10, 2024, 07:59:24 pm
    Hi Thierry,
    just had a look at their site, that got really expensive really quickly!