Author Ceramic paint coatings  (Read 480 times)

• Offline itchyoaxter   gb

• CB500X Member  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline itchyoaxter

• CB500X Member
    • Topic Author
    Ceramic paint coatings
    on: February 12, 2024, 10:02:09 am
    February 12, 2024, 10:02:09 am
    I'm finding that the paintwork on my new bikes petrol tank scratches incredibly easily. I have washed , waxed and polished it but i don't think the finish is tough enough. Has anyone here used something they know that works or had success with a ceramic coating spray? I also had a bit of bubbling paint on the central spine of the engine block (just under the centre of the radiator). Managed to get a good touch up match for that if anyone else is looking.It's Car Plan Heat Resistant Aluminium Paint. I know it's a "budget" bike, but still a bit disappointed with the paint finish. Doesn't help that I'm totally OCD when it comes to cleaning!  :125:
    "If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!"

• Offline gerinemo   ie

• CB500X Pro  ‐    101

Offline gerinemo

• CB500X Pro
    • Bike: CB500X
    Re: Ceramic paint coatings
    Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 12:44:33 pm
    February 12, 2024, 12:44:33 pm
    *Originally Posted by itchyoaxter [+]
    I'm finding that the paintwork on my new bikes petrol tank scratches incredibly easily. I have washed , waxed and polished it but i don't think the finish is tough enough. Has anyone here used something they know that works or had success with a ceramic coating spray? I also had a bit of bubbling paint on the central spine of the engine block (just under the centre of the radiator). Managed to get a good touch up match for that if anyone else is looking.It's Car Plan Heat Resistant Aluminium Paint. I know it's a "budget" bike, but still a bit disappointed with the paint finish. Doesn't help that I'm totally OCD when it comes to cleaning!  :125:
    Thanks for that ( Car Plan Heat Resistant Aluminium Paint.) Paint has been peeling off my 2019 with only 12000KM and I was wondering what was a good match
    Cheers

• Offline Samsgrandad   gb

• CB500X Pro  ‐    235

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 05:26:11 pm
    February 12, 2024, 05:26:11 pm
    I'm not sure whether a ceramic coating will give you the protection you are looking for. I am also paranoid about scratches on the tank and went with a Baglux tank cover which fits well and gives full protection to the tank, just make sure the tank is clean and well polished before you fit it and I take the cover off every few months or so and give it another polish.

• Offline AJC500   scotland

• CB500X God-zilla  ‐    4739

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
    • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
    Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 07:51:12 pm
    February 12, 2024, 07:51:12 pm
    Another slightly obsessive bike cleaner here.

I wash the bike regularly and use Turtle Wax Ice synthetic polish, now called Hydrophobic Wax Sealant, which can be used on almost any surface and doesn't leave any white residue like normal polish. I use it on paint, plastic, glass, engine casings, screen, mirrors, instrument panel, just not contact points like seat, grips and brakes!  With a light spray of water dispersant on engine casings/bolts (I'm still using a can of Putoline PPF-52 I got years ago) this has kept my 2017 bike like new, admittedly through summer use only.

I'm fairly careful and don't use a tank bag, or "rub up" against the tank when riding, I'm not sure what else would easily scratch the paintwork....

Engine paint flaking too?  The front of my engine was looking the worse for wear a year or two ago, and a combination of Muc-Off cleaner, WD40 and white spirit plus a lot of elbow grease was needed to clean it - no flaking paint though even after being ignored down there for many years - I hope Honda are not lessening their specifications on finishes.  :009:

Edit - I just checked the photo showing my tank paintwork and that is bird poo on my mirror, not a crack!   :008:
    Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:56:05 pm by AJC500
    The Story So Far.........
    2017 - 2023 : 28055 miles recreational use - 89.53mpg UK; 74.55mpg US; 3.16 litres/100km

• Offline itchyoaxter   gb

• CB500X Member  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline itchyoaxter

• CB500X Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 04:54:11 pm
    February 13, 2024, 04:54:11 pm
    Thanks for the replies! Think I will invest in a higher quality wax and polish and take it from there! Not overly keen on tank covers but may opt for one if scratches continue!  :763:
    "If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!"