Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage decision for my X  (Read 84318 times)

Offline eric_the_red73

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Climax, NC
Luggage decision for my X
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
I am trying to get my X ready to go on some long distance rides and wanting to see if any of you out there had any good advice on saddle bags and or tail bags.
I had some nice Wolfman panniers on my dual sport and I really like them. I am looking at the following right now and wondered if anyone has used any of the following:

Wolfman Beta tail bag

Gears Navigator tail bag

Nelson Rigg saddle bags

Any help or other ideas would be great!
Thanks!

Offline buck7

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kuala Lumpur
Re: Luggage decision for my X
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
For long distance rides I recommend hard cases.

Offline eric_the_red73

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I have thought about the hard cases. I have looked at some of the Pelican cases and might go that route. I just have never had hard cases and did not know how they would be.

Offline buck7

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
If i'm not mistaken Pelican dont actually make cases for bikes, for that I would go for proper brands that makes bike cases like givi, hepco or touratech.

Offline donqx

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Land of Oz / Taz
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
I've always prefered soft luggage, personal preference obviously, not saying that they are better for everyone.

Lighter, cheaper, easier to use with different bikes (don't need to buy new every time), and another big one for me ... safer if you come off. 

The people I ride with do a fair bit of dirt road riding here in Oz.  There have been quite a few nasty cases over the years that we know of where hard luggage has broken / mangled / speared limbs. 

As an aside, nothing to do with the luggage, but there was one case where a footpeg ruptured blood vessels around the riders heart ... instant death.

Anyway, I've currently got the Nelson Rigg Adventure Dry Saddlebags on my X.  These things are seriously good value, especially if you can get them at 30% discount.  I like them.

I'd be interested in hearing from others how they mount soft luggage on the X.  The challenge is to keep it off the exhaust and away from the wheels.

I've got 2 solutions at the moment.  One is to slide the the bags far forward so that they partially sit on the pillion footpeg.  Simple and keeps the weight forward and low ... best for weight distribution.

The other one is that a made a small wooden frame that sits on the pillion seat.  Works better than expected.

Pics below show the NR bags with the wooden frame.  The frame has since been painted, padding glued on and easy to use straps been sorted.

Offline Cam

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
I've got the Hepco and Becker Junior Flash 30ltr hard cases coming in the mail now.  The rails are bike specific but the cases will fit on any Hepco and Becker rails so they are interchangeable.  Waterproof is also a bloody good idea for long touring rides.  Security can also be important if you stop and take in the sights, have heard cases of bags being pinch.  Good quality secure cases should hopefully make it harder but not impossible to grab quickly off the bike.  They make loading the bike easier and less likely to slip off the seat etc as well.  I have constantly readjusted bags attached with straps etc on long rides and don't want that hassle anymore.

I also bought the inner bags that you pack and then slip inside the hard cases.  When you arrive you can grab the inner bags out and head inside for the night quickly leaving the hard cases locked onto the rails.  Or you can unlockl and detach the hard cases quickly without having to deal with elastic straps etc.  Just as quick to reinstall.  I don't envisage any worse injuries from the rounded plastic hard cases than I would get from other parts of the bike.  Some metal hard cases might be a bit nasty in a crash though I guess.

Will take pics when I have them and share...

Offline eric_the_red73

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by buck7 [+]
If i'm not mistaken Pelican dont actually make cases for bikes, for that I would go for proper brands that makes bike cases like givi, hepco or touratech.

Caribou Luggage is made with the Pelican cases, and several things I have read said if you are "handy" you can buy bracket adapters and make basically the same thing at a fraction of the cost. You might not have all the bells and whistles that Caribou offers, but when you a working on budget sometime you have to  improvise.

Offline buck7

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
Agree with cam, while security is one, the main reason is stability. I've lost damaged so many things due to bags dropping or leaning on the exhaust. But like you said, it's preference.
For my ride from Turkey to Germany last year I combined the use of hard case panniers (standard BMW units) and it nicely holds my duffel bag across the rear seat.
No worries about unwanted weight shifting while cornering and most of the weight is set low.

Offline donqx

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Land of Oz / Taz
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cam [+]
... Waterproof is also a bloody good idea for long touring rides.  Security can also be important if you stop and take in the sights, have heard cases of bags being pinch.   ...   I have constantly readjusted bags attached with straps etc on long rides and don't want that hassle anymore.

I also bought the inner bags that you pack and then slip inside the hard cases.  When you arrive you can grab the inner bags out and head inside for the night quickly leaving the hard cases locked onto the rails.  ...

... Will take pics when I have them and share...

With soft panniers we keep everything waterproof in one big drybag (50L sized ones).  Doubles as inner bag that you can lift out of the panniers.  We usually leave the panniers on the bike.  Works well.

Re. security ... done a lot of touring, haven't had a problem yet.  Not saying that it doesn't happen, just hasn't happened to us yet.

Re. constantly re-adjusting bags ... found that once it was sorted, didn't have to make any adjustments any more.  Even on our 7 week trip partially on pretty rough roads. 

Looking forward to your pics   :-)

dq.

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X red
  • City / Town: Oswestry
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »

Hi All
Someone mentioned on the forum (can't remember where) about getting Givi cases from Italy at prices well below UK. Can you let us know more via this thread please?

Honda Shrewsbury will do 2 x 35 litre Givi panniers including fitting kit for 500 - this seems very pricey to me but I have been out of biking for three decades :034:.
Any comments on the pricing - not my age - appreciated!
Cheers
Gary

Recent Topics