Basic Search



Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tank range  (Read 8026 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline japes1275

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 523
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
Re: tank range
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:19 AM »
Have you taken into consideration the difference in size of UK to US gallons?

I wasn't aware the tank is bigger on the later bikes, thought they were all the same tank. Great if it is bigger though in some ways slightly worrying as I find my 19 a bit worse on tank range compared to my 13.

At the end of the day you aren't going to find many other similar sized bikes that give as good MPG as the CB.

Online Wedgetail

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 31
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Gympie
Re: tank range
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
I wonder if there really is any appreciable tank size difference between 13-18 and 19 models.

It seems generally agreed that the earlier models held 17.3 litre/4.6 US gallon/3.8 imp gallon.

Depending on where you look on the internet the 2019 tank capacity is 17.3, 17.4, 17.5 or 17.7 litres. Honda US site says 4.6 gallons (ie 17.3 litre). I think the perceived "increase" stems from people using differently rounded off conversion rates.

Even if we take the most optimistic claim, the difference is only enough to take you about 15km or 10 miles.
   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:09:17 AM by Wedgetail »

Offline VA-CB500X

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: tank range
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »
My understanding is that the 2019+ models have a different shape but the same capacity tank as the 2016-2018 models.   I also understood that the original 2013-2015 models had a smaller capacity tank.  Again, I could be mistaken.

Edit:  I just poked around a bit to try to verify whether the tank had ever been enlarged in volume.  (I had seen references to a larger tank being introduced in 2016.)  Apparently the tank WAS enlarged, but not significantly.   So my suggestion that the mpg calculation might be affected by this change is probably not a significant factor after all.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:02:59 PM by VA-CB500X »

Offline perk

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 26
  • Country: se
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: tank range
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
My understanding is that the 2019+ models have a different shape but the same capacity tank as the 2016-2018 models.   I also understood that the original 2013-2015 models had a smaller capacity tank.  Again, I could be mistaken.

Edit:  I just poked around a bit to try to verify whether the tank had ever been enlarged in volume.  (I had seen references to a larger tank being introduced in 2016.)  Apparently the tank WAS enlarged, but not significantly.   So my suggestion that the mpg calculation might be affected by this change is probably not a significant factor after all.
Tank size has noting to do with mpg.
The max distance you can travel has.

Offline VA-CB500X

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: tank range
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by perk [+]
Tank size has noting to do with mpg.
The max distance you can travel has.

If you go back and read the post I was responding to, the individual was questioning another posters mpg calculation.  That calculation was based on using the entire tank of gas.  If the tank size is different, it affects the calculation.

Offline perk

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 26
  • Country: se
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: tank range
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 11:25:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
If you go back and read the post I was responding to, the individual was questioning another posters mpg calculation.  That calculation was based on using the entire tank of gas.  If the tank size is different, it affects the calculation.
mpg = miles per gallon
If you have a tank with 1 gallon and that will take you 10 miles, you have a mpg at 10.
Increase the tank to 2 gallons. That will take you 20 miles, right? But same mpg, 10 miles per gallon.
Nitpicking, but mpg is a term for how far your bike will take you with one gallon of petrol, and that will not change if you change the size of the tank.

Calculating mpg based on tank size only is not so clever.
You should measure the amount of petrol you put in the tank and use that for the mpg calculation, given that you started with a full tank.
Otherwise it's just a guesswork and not worth debating.

Offline VA-CB500X

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: tank range
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 03:10:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by perk [+]
mpg = miles per gallon
If you have a tank with 1 gallon and that will take you 10 miles, you have a mpg at 10.
Increase the tank to 2 gallons. That will take you 20 miles, right? But same mpg, 10 miles per gallon.
Nitpicking, but mpg is a term for how far your bike will take you with one gallon of petrol, and that will not change if you change the size of the tank.

Calculating mpg based on tank size only is not so clever.
You should measure the amount of petrol you put in the tank and use that for the mpg calculation, given that you started with a full tank.
Otherwise it's just a guesswork and not worth debating.

I understand the mpg calculation.  Again, I was responding to a specific comment that was deriving mpg from the range on a tank of gas reported by another poster.  In that calculation, volume of tank matters.

Offline motoryzen

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 21
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: tank range
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 03:17:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
I understand the mpg calculation.  Again, I was responding to a specific comment that was deriving mpg from the range on a tank of gas reported by another poster.  In that calculation, volume of tank matters.

Well one valid reason I think to consider tank size involving possible mpg is ..the more the fuel the same stock weight of bike can hold...the HEAVIER it gets.  So, the heavier it gets, the more the " diminishing returns" could apply and thus gas mileage is affected.  I think your point was valid enough. 

The other thing that might be a slight factor is the 19" front wheel on the 2019 versus the 17" front wheel on the 2018 and older models.  I never thought to confirm if that 19" is heavier than the 17".  more weight = more energy needed to move that object the same speed. 

I have much to research and try out.   cheers everyone.

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 980
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: tank range
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by motoryzen [+]
Well one valid reason I think to consider tank size involving possible mpg is ..the more the fuel the same stock weight of bike can hold...the HEAVIER it gets.  So, the heavier it gets, the more the " diminishing returns" could apply and thus gas mileage is affected.  I think your point was valid enough. 

The other thing that might be a slight factor is the 19" front wheel on the 2019 versus the 17" front wheel on the 2018 and older models.  I never thought to confirm if that 19" is heavier than the 17".  more weight = more energy needed to move that object the same speed. 

I have much to research and try out.   cheers everyone.
All a moot point my 2014 and my 2019 get the same 74 mpg US
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online richardbd

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
Re: tank range
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by rigger jim [+]
Thank you all for answering my question sorry but Ive decided to stick with the bike I have
Rigger jim

Go on - at least tell us the secret.  Whats the current bike?

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage