Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: reducing jerkiness  (Read 20421 times)

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
Re: reducing jerkiness
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
While in 1st gear slipping the clutch is the recommended method with low speed manoeuvres etc... from there on up I've found riding in one gear too high helps a great deal.
Our roads here are still very damaged from earthquakes so riding in a higher gear makes the bike less responsive.
Otherwise good posture control is key, use your legs, your stomach and back muscles so that your wrists are not affected.
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Offline sarcaster

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500x
  • City / Town: Central Florida
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by incolx [+]
As reported in another thread, the quick and easy answer to this is to add a little play to the throttle cable.  I did this very soon after picking up the bike and it works so well I hadn't thought about it for ages.

The extra play takes care of any involuntary twitches of the wrist.

Being a new rider, can you give detail on how to do this?  And maybe some detail on why this might help?  Thanks.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by incolx [+]
As reported in another thread, the quick and easy answer to this is to add a little play to the throttle cable.  I did this very soon after picking up the bike and it works so well I hadn't thought about it for ages.

The extra play takes care of any involuntary twitches of the wrist.

I tightened mine up.I wasn't getting the resistance because of the loose cable and it made me twitchy on the throttle.Everyone reacts to this differently.Mine was to twist faster until I had the resistance which lead me to lurching the bike at low speeds in first gear with the clutch lever out.

*Originally Posted by sarcaster [+]
Being a new rider, can you give detail on how to do this?  And maybe some detail on why this might help?  Thanks.

The two cables at the throttle block.One has a thick rubber cover over it.Push the rubber cover back.There is a long barrel nut and a small regular nut.The regular nut is a lock nut.Loosen it.Then adjust the barrel nut until you have the slack or tightness that you want.Tighten the lock nut when you have it set,and slide the rubber cover back over it.

Here it is on a CBR.It the same on our CB-X.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline fabio

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:19 PM »
Sincerely I do not think that playing with throttle adjustment could be the solution.
In my bike at least, throttle play is ok.
The problem is some DELAY between the throttle re-opening and the traction of the wheel that always starts rough after some (unpredictable) delay of some cents of second.
Yes the first thing I will now try to do is to tighten the chain and let you know.
I also wonder whether valve adjustment (which was NOT done on my bike at first service, the bike being produced in 2014) could be related with jerkiness or not.

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
Sorry that I cannot offer any solutions to anyone who is having this problem.  I was just thinking yesterday how this is one of the great things about this bike: perfect fuelling and lack of drive line snatch.  I can't fault mine.  It makes it so easy and pleasurable to ride.  None of that urgency to shift up to the next gear to get out of an unpleasant rev range.  I can enjoy just tooling around neighbourhoods in 2nd or 3rd gear at almost any engine speed.  There really seems to be no sweet spot. They are all sweet.  I have 10000km on mine now with original chain and sprockets.  Chain slack is normal.   
Again I can't offer anything but hope.  The truth is out there and worth pursuing.

Offline fabio

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 04:21:17 PM »
C-rider I don't get the point of your post...
we're happy to know everything is fine with your bike and you're in love with it!
however, my bike's chain play is already more than 4.5cm after only 7,000km and less then a year, so it * MAY * be the cause of my bike's jerky behavior in reopening gas (I'll let you know as soon as I will ride it, since I already tightened the chain play to about 3,5cm).
However I'm not so confident this will change things dramatically, but I could be wrong.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
His point is he likes his bike and just wants to share nothing wrong with that--and I think after you ride yours with the chain in spec you will notice the different.  I have had bikes that jerk on take off but my 500 is not one of those very smooth all most to smooth. I see some members are saying less slack in the throttle cable, some say more slack I'm in the camp of less slack(2mm) makes for a smoother ride also clutch cable slack as per manual 20mm
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:50:17 PM by motorboy »
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by fabio [+]
Sincerely I do not think that playing with throttle adjustment could be the solution.
In my bike at least, throttle play is ok.
The problem is some DELAY between the throttle re-opening and the traction of the wheel that always starts rough after some (unpredictable) delay of some cents of second.
Yes the first thing I will now try to do is to tighten the chain and let you know.
I also wonder whether valve adjustment (which was NOT done on my bike at first service, the bike being produced in 2014) could be related with jerkiness or not.

2014 and later bikes do not require a vavle adjusment until 16,000 miles/25,600km.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Tjn

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Nish
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 05:02:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by fabio [+]
C-rider I don't get the point of your post...
we're happy to know everything is fine with your bike and you're in love with it!
however, my bike's chain play is already more than 4.5cm after only 7,000km and less then a year, so it * MAY * be the cause of my bike's jerky behavior in reopening gas (I'll let you know as soon as I will ride it, since I already tightened the chain play to about 3,5cm).
However I'm not so confident this will change things dramatically, but I could be wrong.

Just for the record ,
That was my chain play at 1000 km, (4.5).  I could have gas jerkiness too, which is why I change gears, at 3 or 4k RPM. I'm at 2500 km, and I have to adjust one more time.  Being my first bike, To me all this is normal, nothing feels too unpleasant.

Offline fabio

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
In my experience it's not so common: I rarely had to adjust chain play in all my previous bikes! No more often then every 10,000km... may be cbx chain is a bit "weak
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:21:34 PM by fabio »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage