Author Topic: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.  (Read 138832 times)

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: cb550x
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:25 AM
EscCtrl:

That sounds promising.  Do I simply remove the carbon fiber-style panel to get eyes on it?

Appreciate it.

I saw your postings on Adv Rider -- nice to connect the dots.

Matt

2013 CB500X

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: cb550x
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 01:23:06 AM
If you mean the smaller black one, I did manage to cover off on it.

My leftover one is the more common stainless type. 

I have the feeling I removed far more than I likely needed to... And I recall a couple of blind ones but am not doing a great job of reconstructing the crime.

Don't mean to make this anyone else's cross to bear.  A causality of my learning how to work on the bike, I suppose. 
2013 CB500X

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 03:32:39 AM
*Originally Posted by Matt F. [+]
EscCtrl:

That sounds promising.  Do I simply remove the carbon fiber-style panel to get eyes on it?

Appreciate it.

I saw your postings on Adv Rider -- nice to connect the dots.

Matt

Yes,the outter fairing cover,side cover,and inner cowl have to come out to access it.I don't know what Honda was thinking by hiding that connector.

Yep.I couldn't get the forum to take ben2go,so I went to my old fall back screen name.

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 07:05:33 PM
For everyone that hasn't the faintest idea about electrics, and that includes me, I have put together a little video on accessing and opening up the Options Plug, using alternative sources for terminals, and testing out my experiments on getting the OP connected up.

Needless to say it all went horribly wrong, but also interestingly right. Mistakes give you a better sense of achievement when it finally works. Which I hope will be the case when I get the chance to do a second video

! No longer available

Offline Septian

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: CB500X '14 Red
Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 07:54:12 PM
Brill vid mate, very informative.  :152:
Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:21:57 PM by Septian

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:13 PM
*Originally Posted by O8ride [+]
For everyone that hasn't the faintest idea about electrics, and that includes me, I have put together a little video on accessing and opening up the Options Plug, using alternative sources for terminals, and testing out my experiments on getting the OP connected up.

Needless to say it all went horribly wrong, but also interestingly right. Mistakes give you a better sense of achievement when it finally works. Which I hope will be the case when I get the chance to do a second video

! No longer available

I knew that bulb was going to blow as you need a 12 volt bulb as the battery is a 12 volt battery. The small red bulb is probably a 3.5 volt bulb as it was powered by two AA batteries.
Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:55:08 PM by Irishrover
Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 06:37:05 AM
Well played Honda,well played.

Most of us have been going about this all wrong.Honda gave us the connectors but not the terminals to go with them.Our bikes have the connectors,you just have to understand the trick.I finally solved the puzzle!

Look into the connectors and find the tab.Push the tab up with a finger nail,and slide the connector off.It's really that damn simple.

Look in the back of the connector on the wire side and lift the little tab with your finger nail.This works on all the connectors,front, rear and regardless of size or country.

You will need 2.3mm - .090 Male Terminal

and HM/MT Connector Wire seal 2.3mm - .090

These can be seen and purchased here.They are near the bottom of the page.
 http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

This is the proper way to crimp 090 connectors with seals.

I hope this explains a lot.
Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:19:27 PM by EscCtrl

Offline Septian

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: CB500X '14 Red
Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
Excellent  :001:

*Makes a shopping list*

I think I'll try this, I really didn't want to connect a USB charger directly to the battery if I can help it.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 02:02:17 PM
To sum up, remove OP plug from its mounting on the bike.
Identify the wire you wish to connect to, and remove the appropriate black  blank.
Separate the halves of the plug.
If the wire you are connecting is terminated to equipment at  it's other end, put the seal onto the wire.
Push wire through plug, strip off insulation, crimp or solder spade terminal onto  wire.
Push terminal into plug until it locks.
Push seal into plug.
Fit halves of OP plug back together until  locked.

That should be it, unless I've forgotten something.
Thanks to all involved in this long running saga, which I thought we'd bottomed ages ago with Macca's post way back. I suspect this won't be the end either.
Please, though, if you really don't know what you're doing, ask someone who does.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 02:36:01 PM
... or experiment and record.

It had definitely not been put to bed for me as I found the whole saga very confusing and difficult to follow across all the threads. And in relaity, it should be easy to follow, but textual descriptions are rarely accurate enough, or if they are accurate, they can easily sow confusion with the same word able to relate to a number of different things (eg using the word plug and terminal indiscriminately - yet correctly - to relate to a number of different things sows confusion).

Video is much easier for me to understand and follow than text if someone takes you through a full process and doesn't assume others have a minimum amount of knowledge. I was surprised ot find no-one had done a video on this.

Bits that were still causing confusion:

1. Finding the right terminals is clearly a problem for some, especially in the UK, so is there another solution?
2. Getting the OP removed and apart has been another issue
3. EscCtrl's photos are really useful for understanding the mechanics of best attaching the new terminals to the wires which then feed into the male end of the OP which should then just slide onto the female end
4. Using the right fuses
5. Attaching the negative terminal

I'm about to have another go at an experiment and will video it again. Hopefully this allows those (like me) who have no background in this stuff to start understanding what should go where and how to do it