Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mixing Tyres  (Read 3321 times)

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: Mixing Tyres
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Spirit Rider [+]
The car advice about not mixing crossply and radial tyres was always about not mixing them on the same axle.

Motorcycles do not have an axle, although their spindles are sometimes mistakenly called axles.

Any tyre has a limit to it's grip. As long as the rider doesn't push to the limit it cannot make any difference which way the metal belting inside the tyre is orientated.
:460:

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Basildon
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
It's to do with the profile of the tyre really. If your rear tyre doesn't have a compatible profile with the front, it'll handle like sh#t. Imagine if your front tyre has a sort of "V" profile and the rear has a more "U" shaped profile or vice versa, it'll be ok in a straight line, but as you lean over the tyres will want to lean at different rates. That's why they advise you to use matched pairs. If you can get away with mixed tyres with compatible profiles, then lucky you. Not all tyres are compatible with other makes, though some may be. I'd rather not do my research on the road and trust the tyre manufacturers to give me the right profiles.

Offline Spirit Rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500FAE white
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »
The rear tyre on my Suzuki GT500 (2 stroke twin - remember those ?) had a severe U profile (almost squared off), front was more gently curved. Same as the tyres on both of my Honda Superdream 250's and Superdream 400 (remember those ? twin front brake discs). All would've been cross-ply, as radials hadn't yet made an appearance on bikes, and when they did it was only on performance bikes for many years.

Wasn't a problem, as I remember, you just rode according to the tyres you had.
Get it wrong and you'd suffer gravel rash.

One of my Superdreams was so out of alignment (twisted forks) it crabbed down the road.
To go in a straight line I had to offset the handlebars a noticeable amount.
One hand would be much nearer to my body than the other.
You just adapted and got used to it.

One day a friend of mine jumped on it to have a blast up the road (a blast on a Superdream, well you know what I mean). He came back very shortly afterwards with a look of terror on his face.
"How do you ride that thing ?" he asked as he got off and looked at it in fear.
He never asked for another go after that.

Great bike the Honda Superdream. Bullet-proof engine. Never had an ounce of bother with any of them.
They are the reason I confidently bought my CB500F nearly 30 years later.
When looking at it in the dealership the wife asked "Would you be happy with that ?"
"It's a Honda parallel twin" I replied. Enough said.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:46:52 AM by Spirit Rider »
Back on two wheels and loving it !
Strictly a fair weather biker these days.
I've got just the thing to combat the cold and wet ....
it's called a car !
Using the car daily makes the bike so much more pleasurable when I get the chance to ride.

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Spirit Rider [+]
The car advice about not mixing crossply and radial tyres was always about not mixing them on the same axle......

Sounds logical.
I've been running Bridgestone BT016 120/70 radial front & Avon roadrider 150/70 biased ply on the back for the past 5k km's.
The combination has worked really well. Certainly 1000% better than the original Scorpion Trial set for road handling.
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage