Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor MPG. Is there a problem?  (Read 6446 times)

Offline baggy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Midlands
Re: Poor MPG. Is there a problem?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:22:13 AM »
Here's a link to my fuelly figures. The last one was lower at 69.9mpg because I found on Saturday I had a puncture and had to replace both tyres.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/baggy/cb500x

Offline navelgazer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: Peats Ridge
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
I think the fuel gauge is out, tells me I've used 14 L when I can only get 11.5 L in. Not a biggy for me as have always used the trip meter to work out l/100 Kilometers. Mine goes from 3.1 - 3.6 L /100 Ks but the dash thingy tells me 3.8 - 4.2. It's only human to make error, takes computers screw things up big. All is good with this great bike.

Offline Cam

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by navelgazer [+]
I think the fuel gauge is out, tells me I've used 14 L when I can only get 11.5 L in. Not a biggy for me as have always used the trip meter to work out l/100 Kilometers. Mine goes from 3.1 - 3.6 L /100 Ks but the dash thingy tells me 3.8 - 4.2. It's only human to make error, takes computers screw things up big. All is good with this great bike.

I agree, just figure out how far you're getting per litre/gallon after a few tanks. Then work out a comfortable range based on the tank size and watch your trip meter.

Offline navelgazer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: Peats Ridge
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
Tday ran it till the bottom bar started flashing, trip read 456 Ks, mild stress kicking in, fuel used said 17.3 litres, distance to empty said 0.0 Ks, fuelled up, 14.0 litres to fill. So when the bottom bar flashes I still have 70 - 80 ks to find a servo. Fine for me as now I know what's going on.

Offline Cam

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by navelgazer [+]
Tday ran it till the bottom bar started flashing, trip read 456 Ks, mild stress kicking in, fuel used said 17.3 litres, distance to empty said 0.0 Ks, fuelled up, 14.0 litres to fill. So when the bottom bar flashes I still have 70 - 80 ks to find a servo. Fine for me as now I know what's going on.

This reminds me of some fun wit my Bonneville.  16.6 litres tank.  Did the math and worked out my max distance based on 16 litres, leaving a bit in reserve.  Went round a corner one afternoon and it started coughing and spluttering and cut out.  Pulled over scratching my head and thinking I should have about 80km left till empty. I restarted it and did a quick u-turn to head for a servo a 1km back.  Got about 300metres and she died again.  Pushied it the remainder of the way to the bowser and started filling up.  Thought I should get at least 16 litres in it.  The pump stopped at 14.3.  Couldn't squeeze any more in.  Checked online when I got home and discovered I wasn' alone.  There is nearly 2 litres of inaccessible fuel due to the design of the fuel tank and location of the pump/hose.  It taught me that I might never know how much I actually have left  :015:

Hopefully the 500X has a better tank design than my old Bonnie did!  :821:

Offline Xceptional

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:05:30 AM »
averaging 65 with 1000 mile bike.  mostly highway  best 69.6 

i peeked at the panel once, and it seemed much lower.  i'm going by trip and gallons to come up with the above numbers.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:54:21 PM by 12413 »

Offline maXimillian

• CB500X Member
  • ride safely
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Khanom, Nakhon S
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Fuel consumption depends a lot on how and where you ride your bike.
Yours is in the normal range. Don't worry.
If you want to save fuel keep the rpm low, no hard acceleration.
Glide, don't race.
Long live the biker

Recent Topics