Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.  (Read 45602 times)

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
Yesterday I fitted the Pile of Poo Givi engine bars. Pile of Poo because they are so distorted by welding getting the middle holes lined up is a nightmare. But they looked good and I can live with a bit of a struggle.

Today I took the bike out and DISASTER. As soon as the rev counter hits 5000 and on to 5200 there is a terrible vibration through the bars and I can even feel it through the pegs. Any gear. Slightly worse on the overrun.

I'm about to rip them off and send them back, it's turned a lovely sweet, new, bike into a chainsaw at those revs. Not acceptable.

Has anyone else had this ?
Brian.

Offline OldForter

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
I have over 18,000 km with my GIVI and there is no vibration.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
This is crazy. The only test was to remove the bars, done that, road test, not a hint of vibration now. My sweet X is restored and the bars are going back to the dealer.

Brian.

Online motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
You are not the first one having this problem not only on the 500x and not only Givi guards seems it has a lot to do with how they fit and how tight the bolts are   might want to take them off and see if maybe a washer spacer or two will make them fit without binding and torque to factory spec's  if that don't work than send the pile of poo back
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »
Mine vibrate a bit at 5000 but doesn't bother me since I'm rarely cruising at that rpm. Did you put the two rubber o-rings on the centre part when assembling?

Offline Onyx

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Chichester
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:23:36 PM »
Mine came with the Givi crash bars already fitted and i get no vibration from them either. Maybe the mount points on yours are twisted so when torquing up the fixing bolts they aren't sitting solidly against the engine mount.
Honda CB500X
Ducati Monster 600
Honda ANF125 Innova

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
Did you put the two rubber o-rings on the centre part when assembling?

Yes I did. And torqued to 60/45 as shown on a page in here. Back in the post right now, hopefully Givi may improve their engineering.
Brian.

Offline cqdx

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500xa
  • City / Town: White City, SK
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »
Guess I've been lucky.  Aside from some colorful language heard in my neighborhood while installing, they have not imparted any noticeable vibrations throughout the power band.  I'd send em back and ask for a replacement if you can.  Sounds like you are an expert getting them on and off now so a swap might be worth a try  :002: ....

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chicoutimi, QC
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:33 PM »
 :435:

Great topic, really makes me think!  I have the Givi bars and no vibrations (yet).  This is really puzzling and we need to get to the bottom of this, there has to be some good reason to what's going on.

Hope everyone keeps posting their ideas and finally something will pop up. (with a good answer maybe it might get back to Italy!)

_pete

My long road trip starts in a few days, vibrations have their way of appearing on trips like these...I'll keep you posted if something suspicious occurs...
__pete

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by cqdx [+]
Sounds like you are an expert getting them on and off now so a swap might be worth a try  :002: ....

Trouble is I like things "right" and now I know these bars are being sent out twisted I have no desire to own them. There's a huge satisfaction in offering two parts together that fit perfectly, that's how it should be in the CNC age, for goodness sake they managed it 200 years ago as seen in many ancient steam engines all over the UK. We went to a steam engine rally a few weeks ago, enormous great lumps of cast iron machined to perfection.

I am looking at all the other alternatives, none of which actually look as attractive as the Givi ones, but that's Italians for you, drop dead gorgeous but don't expect too much reliability.

I've had a comment from a Strom owner, he fitted Suzuki bars to his and ended up with terrible vibration, Suzuki altered the design later but by then he had been hit by a car and the bike was a right off, he is riding again, a BMW GS.
Brian.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage