Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.  (Read 45536 times)

Offline Supernam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Toronto
Re: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Trouble is I like things "right" and now I know these bars are being sent out twisted I have no desire to own them. There's a huge satisfaction in offering two parts together that fit perfectly, that's how it should be in the CNC age, for goodness sake they managed it 200 years ago as seen in many ancient steam engines all over the UK. We went to a steam engine rally a few weeks ago, enormous great lumps of cast iron machined to perfection.

I am looking at all the other alternatives, none of which actually look as attractive as the Givi ones, but that's Italians for you, drop dead gorgeous but don't expect too much reliability.

I've had a comment from a Strom owner, he fitted Suzuki bars to his and ended up with terrible vibration, Suzuki altered the design later but by then he had been hit by a car and the bike was a right off, he is riding again, a BMW GS.

There was always a slight bit more noticeable vibration at 5k RPM with our bikes at all times.  They do not line up perfectly, possibly due to a slight movement of the engine when you remove the mounting bolts but many of us have these installed without any noticeable increase in vibrations.  I have a lot of Givi products and I think they are pretty good quality.

Offline dvorjan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
I installed the GIVI engine bars in spring and they work OK, no vibrations. However, I remember I had some issues when installing - getting everything together perfectly (incl the rubber spacing) under the headlight cover was pretty tricky...

Offline OldForter

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
I have these installed and no vibration.
They were a bit tough to install, but I would not call them twisted. Due to the nature of welding (these are not a machined piece), material will always have slight movement so I would not expect them to fit perfect with no effort. I can see also that due to the variation, there may be problems with some and not others.
I have a set on my V-strom and have had no vibration from the bars.

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chicoutimi, QC
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
 :156: Hilldweller is right!   Holy @$#!, I rode yesterday on a good long stretch and did some testing of my own.

First off, it is a motorcycle so everything just seems to vibrate everywhere all the time. After reading this post I got really paranoid about everything I was feeling.

As I was driving it's really easy to reach down and touch the bars, they vibrated just about like everything else. More/less? dunno, didn't really pay attention to vibrations during the first 4000km of riding.

When I hit exactly 5000 RPM  HOLY #%@$    dudes, you can't even touch the bars!!!!  This is not a slight occurrence, we're talking violent vibrations that in my opinion will most likely create damage to the bike at some point!

For all you out there who say "no vibrations" I understand if you don't touch the bars, you just may not feel a big difference.  TRY TOUCHING THE BARS @ 5k RPM!

I'm scheduled at the dealer today at 1pm and those bars are OFF! (luckily the mechanic at the dealer saved all the original bolts in a small bag)

THANK YOU HILLDWELLER!  you made my bike safer, more dependable, more comfortable and probably the way it should have been from the start.

GIVI is going to get a letter about this, obviously they don't have the computer models for vibration analysis for this particular bike throughout the ranges. Most definitely they don't road test every product they build and I hardly think an Italian touched the bars and said "nessun problema"

__pete

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:36:16 PM by Handypete »
__pete

Offline Onyx

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Chichester
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
Good thread to follow. I bought my bike with them already fitted, didn't even think that if i took them off i'd need to find original bolts to re-fit. But i like mine, i did get a little vibration around 3-3.5k revs but figure any engine has its natural resonance at certain rpm.
When my bike is back from the dealers and running again i will check mine for vibration but so far i've not noticed any from mine.
Honda CB500X
Ducati Monster 600
Honda ANF125 Innova

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
UPDATE

The bars are off and every perceivable vibration is GONE (at all RPM's). The bike is now back to it's old quiet self. It's hard to believe but now that I did  with/without in the same day it's a "no-brainer".

When I first read this thread I had my doubts and even said "no vibrations", little did I realize I had a major problem.

Trying to "patch" the problem by tweaking the installation is still a "no no" in my book, you'll never eliminate a harmonic problem with rubber bushings, tape or whatever, those things will only mask the problem. Furthermore, like I said in a different post, the GIVI bars are directly attached to the engine block. What's going to happen after months of vibrations to this point? (my guess is failure and Honda is not going to warranty the issue) What happens if the bike falls over and the shock hits the block? (ditto on the response). Your call.

I'm a happy camper now, glad that ordeal is over  :046:

_Pete
__pete

Offline Heavy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Barrie, Ontario
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 11:40:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chappssss [+]
Just took mine off. What did you torque the 2 engine bolts to? I can't find an answer

Check your shop manual.
There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 12:21:46 AM »
And I had the work done at the dealer, cost for the removal: $45 bucks

You could also use torque curves found on the Internet, it has mostly to do with the size of bolt . . .(but i'm not a mechanic)

_pete
__pete

Offline badpauly

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13/'14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 01:52:28 AM »
Put the Givi/Kappa bars on a few weeks back, no issues with fitting, no issues with vibration.

Before claiming the earth is ending, have a look over the bars and see if there is actually movement. They do need to be fit a certain way, failing to do so could cause alignment issues and incorrect tension at the joins.

That plug - it needs to fit tight. Not fitting tight means something is out. If the front mount-point has had any washers/spacers fitted, it will leave a larger gap than needed, and a loose plug. Washers go on the outside, not between frame and bars.
If it's too wet to ride, you might be underwater.

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 02:41:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by badpauly [+]
Put the Givi/Kappa bars on a few weeks back, no issues with fitting, no issues with vibration.

Before claiming the earth is ending, have a look over the bars and see if there is actually movement. They do need to be fit a certain way, failing to do so could cause alignment issues and incorrect tension at the joins.

Let's see here, did you actually touch the bars while riding at around 100km/h and revving at 5200rpm? Is so, and no vibration, good news!

"the earth is ending"  hold on here friend, this forum is to send messages out in order to inform people about their bikes and gear. Yes I (engineer) had a look over everything and the master mechanic at the Honda dealer went out riding with my bike and came to the same conclusion. That's telling me something that I think is worth sharing to other folks on this forum!

I didn't reccomend anyone to remove their bars, by sharing pertinent information I think they can come to their own conclusions.

Safe riding,

_pete

__pete

Recent Topics