Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.  (Read 49197 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
Hi Jonathan, thanks.

As it's my better half's F I made it non-destructive! No drilling. I wonder if that guy in Bangkok (another thread) is still missing the shoulder bolts I took out of her tailpiece? I wouldn't dare post them off anyway!

I don't follow your "The nearside (UK) pillion peg bracket has a hole through it whereas the off-side peg doesn't, although there's plenty of casting to drill one, if needs be."? On my 17 X the sides look the same, except the offside (RHS in USA) has an extra boss for the exhaust. Perhaps yours is older or newer?

On the 18 F I cut an ally filler to fill in the cut out of the pillion heel guard, and an ally plate to fit on the outside of said heel guard, and bolted that thru the heel guard cutout to my rack on the inside, sandwiching the heel guard. So I didn't need to make a hole or tadger with the peg swivel bolt (which isn't well placed for the addition anyway).

mine's a '16 so it may be different...hidden behind the left pillion peg is a small countersunk hole. No such hole behind the right peg but enough metal to put one in....heel guard plates will be just as strong, I imagine

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
I'm just going to add a follow up comment re the soft luggage rack I built for the F, above. After the posting I changed it very slightly, inserting thin rubber washers at the spacers between side rail & tail cross piece. Then we went off for a week with her panniers loaded. Successful, but, by the time I next looked, the side pieces had permanently bent inwards. TBH I had expected them to do that under load, but to spring back. Daresay steel would have done. This was 6060 ally according to the eBay supplier. I'm not sure if it's a problem other than cosmetic. It seems stable now.

Reasons I used such light stuff for the side rails are that a) I regarded it as effectively a tensioned strap, and not stiff b) Using the thickish aluminum, if it unbolted or failed near an end bolt, it would be less consequential both in terms of jamming wheels and slashing legs.

Not really well placed in this thread, but I didn't want to leave it dangling...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
I'm just going to add a follow up comment re the soft luggage rack I built for the F, above. After the posting I changed it very slightly, inserting thin rubber washers at the spacers between side rail & tail cross piece. Then we went off for a week with her panniers loaded. Successful, but, by the time I next looked, the side pieces had permanently bent inwards. TBH I had expected them to do that under load, but to spring back. Daresay steel would have done. This was 6060 ally according to the eBay supplier. I'm not sure if it's a problem other than cosmetic. It seems stable now.

Reasons I used such light stuff for the side rails are that a) I regarded it as effectively a tensioned strap, and not stiff b) Using the thickish aluminum, if it unbolted or failed near an end bolt, it would be less consequential both in terms of jamming wheels and slashing legs.

Not really well placed in this thread, but I didn't want to leave it dangling...

I think flat bar, whether steel or Ali, tends to be more flexible than tube or box section, which is no bad thing if you want some inherent flex. Maybe some triangulation would stiffen it up a bit?

Offline grewen

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: armstrong. bc
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »
when i installed the crash bars on my 2018, i also found the engine noise and vibration amplified. i took the bars back off and filled them with spray foam and that did away with about 1/2 of the problem
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:17:18 PM by grewen »
Greg
2019 honda cb500x
2018 honda grom
2018 suzuki dr200

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by grewen [+]
when i installed the crash bars on my 2018, i also found the engine noise and vibration amplified. i took the bars back off and filled them with spray foam and that did away with about 1/2 of the problem

I know some folk use silicone to dampen handlebar vibrations but I've never thought to use expanding foam...good idea!   

I've filled my Givi pannier racks with 1 kg of uncut cocaine....do reckon the customs officers will believe me when I say it's to reduce vibes? :084:

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
After a shortish ride the other day, I found that the M10x40mm lower engine mounting bolt that also holds on the Givi protection bars had snapped off at the edge of the engine mounting hole. It was the original Honda bolt that came with the bike. This was after about 12,000 miles of riding.

When I drilled and extracted the piece remaining in the hole, it was only 15mm long. I figured that the addition of a rubber washer and the protection bar end had too severely shortened the length of the bolt in the engine mounting hole, causing it to snap.

So off of Ebay, I purchased some M10x50mm 1.25 pitch (fine) 10.9 automotive quality flange head bolts and bolted everything back together.

Folks out there who are putting on these protection bars might want to use lengthier bolts than the original bolts that came on the bike. (btw, the bolts that Givi supplies with the bars are not any longer than the original, so I hadn't used them).
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline RainnyX

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Almere
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
Always have been lurking this forum for tips and tricks. First time posting.

So I've been having the vibration issue since the start of having the givi bars. I really like them but the vibration is just... No. So I've tried torquing to manual values and less. Sometimes it works but over time it will always return. The vibrations actually destroyed the vibration motor in my phone cause of the long trips I make haha... I was getting sick of everything and removed the bars after almost a year of shaking the feeling out of my hands and butt.

Omg my CBX was smooth again. I want to have this feeling forever. It was like gliding on butter. So smooth. But the feeling of driving unprotected was killing me so it was debug time. See what the hell could be so wrong with my bars.

When I attached the bars for the second last time. The lower front right engine mount got stripped. I was at like half strength. I said '####' out loud. I think it's due to it always being really tight because of the bars and me having to put alot of force on it to get it to torque. Stupid of me.. so drilled it out. Put a very long bolt in it and nutted it at the back. I did lose my spacer so I put alot of M10 washers in between. Engine was fully attached again and driving really smooth. :)

Continuing looking for the problem why it was shaking like sh#t. When I went to attach the bars again I saw that the mounting in the front was never flush with the headlight mounting. I never noticed that. I have always just tighten it and never looked at it.

That's quite some space... So I added washers and rubber rings in between ( I read this somewhere in this thread ). After attaching all I went for a ride. And yess; like 80% of the vibrations where gone!!! I'm happy with the result. I have my smooth CBX back and can go for long distance again! But now I don't know if it is because of the lower engine mount stripping or the added washers. But it's smooth now!

I will try and add sand in the bars to try and filter out the last bit of vibrations. Hopefully that works :)

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by RainnyX [+]
I will try and add sand in the bars to try and filter out the last bit of vibrations. Hopefully that works :)

You get full marks for trying.

But what annoys me is that we pay good money to a big company and should not have to do this. They've done a typical Italian stylish design but never done the proper road testing, if they had they would have realised they were manufacturing badly aligned bars.

My German engine bars are still performing fine.
Brian.

Online JM83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
I admire your perseverence. I would just toss them away and buy motech ones in your case :) Mpartz.nl gives you a nice price ;)

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage