Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.  (Read 45601 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
Hi Jonathan, thanks.

As it's my better half's F I made it non-destructive! No drilling. I wonder if that guy in Bangkok (another thread) is still missing the shoulder bolts I took out of her tailpiece? I wouldn't dare post them off anyway!

I don't follow your "The nearside (UK) pillion peg bracket has a hole through it whereas the off-side peg doesn't, although there's plenty of casting to drill one, if needs be."? On my 17 X the sides look the same, except the offside (RHS in USA) has an extra boss for the exhaust. Perhaps yours is older or newer?

On the 18 F I cut an ally filler to fill in the cut out of the pillion heel guard, and an ally plate to fit on the outside of said heel guard, and bolted that thru the heel guard cutout to my rack on the inside, sandwiching the heel guard. So I didn't need to make a hole or tadger with the peg swivel bolt (which isn't well placed for the addition anyway).

mine's a '16 so it may be different...hidden behind the left pillion peg is a small countersunk hole. No such hole behind the right peg but enough metal to put one in....heel guard plates will be just as strong, I imagine

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
I'm just going to add a follow up comment re the soft luggage rack I built for the F, above. After the posting I changed it very slightly, inserting thin rubber washers at the spacers between side rail & tail cross piece. Then we went off for a week with her panniers loaded. Successful, but, by the time I next looked, the side pieces had permanently bent inwards. TBH I had expected them to do that under load, but to spring back. Daresay steel would have done. This was 6060 ally according to the eBay supplier. I'm not sure if it's a problem other than cosmetic. It seems stable now.

Reasons I used such light stuff for the side rails are that a) I regarded it as effectively a tensioned strap, and not stiff b) Using the thickish aluminum, if it unbolted or failed near an end bolt, it would be less consequential both in terms of jamming wheels and slashing legs.

Not really well placed in this thread, but I didn't want to leave it dangling...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
I'm just going to add a follow up comment re the soft luggage rack I built for the F, above. After the posting I changed it very slightly, inserting thin rubber washers at the spacers between side rail & tail cross piece. Then we went off for a week with her panniers loaded. Successful, but, by the time I next looked, the side pieces had permanently bent inwards. TBH I had expected them to do that under load, but to spring back. Daresay steel would have done. This was 6060 ally according to the eBay supplier. I'm not sure if it's a problem other than cosmetic. It seems stable now.

Reasons I used such light stuff for the side rails are that a) I regarded it as effectively a tensioned strap, and not stiff b) Using the thickish aluminum, if it unbolted or failed near an end bolt, it would be less consequential both in terms of jamming wheels and slashing legs.

Not really well placed in this thread, but I didn't want to leave it dangling...

I think flat bar, whether steel or Ali, tends to be more flexible than tube or box section, which is no bad thing if you want some inherent flex. Maybe some triangulation would stiffen it up a bit?

Offline grewen

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: armstrong. bc
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »
when i installed the crash bars on my 2018, i also found the engine noise and vibration amplified. i took the bars back off and filled them with spray foam and that did away with about 1/2 of the problem
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:17:18 PM by grewen »
Greg
2019 honda cb500x
2018 honda grom
2018 suzuki dr200

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by grewen [+]
when i installed the crash bars on my 2018, i also found the engine noise and vibration amplified. i took the bars back off and filled them with spray foam and that did away with about 1/2 of the problem

I know some folk use silicone to dampen handlebar vibrations but I've never thought to use expanding foam...good idea!   

I've filled my Givi pannier racks with 1 kg of uncut cocaine....do reckon the customs officers will believe me when I say it's to reduce vibes? :084:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage