Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.  (Read 45535 times)

Offline badpauly

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13/'14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Givi Engine Bars - Vibration.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 04:52:07 AM »
I have no need to hold the bars at 100kmh (or any other speed that 5200rpm equates to) as there is no more vibration than normal. If anything, the bike vibrates less at higher revs with the bars fitted. Yes, some parts of the bike vibrate, as they do on almost all vehicles.

My comment about the "earth ending" is from comments a page back about "violent vibrations that in my opinion will most likely create damage to the bike at some point!" and "you made my bike safer".

If the vibration only happens at 5200rpm AND 100kmh then perhaps the issue is something else. If it is 5200rpm in all gears (and neutral), then, if it is the bars at fault, it is a harmonics issue that might require removal and re-fitting - something is vibrating that shouldn't. If the "plug" isn't joining firmly, then that could cause all sorts of interesting harmonics or standing-waves to appear.

Yes, the forum is to send messages out in order to inform people about their bikes and gear, but to post that the part is dangerous, will damage the bike, and assorted other FUD, when only some people are seeing the particular issue, sounds more like a fitting issue, than a need to start a product recall.
If it's too wet to ride, you might be underwater.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by badpauly [+]
If it is 5200rpm in all gears (and neutral)

It certainly was in my case though very much less in neutral.

I have just put some more miles on it and now being tuned to vibration I can detect a slight one at 5000 but absolutely nothing compared to when the Givi bars were fitted.

I'm now homing on on Renntec Bars. Two separate bars that should not alter the resonance of the frame yet still protect the cases.

Some of the other bars look like a joke, on screen. One touch down and they would surely just fold into the tank.
Brian.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chappssss [+]
Just took mine off. What did you torque the 2 engine bolts to? I can't find an answer

Look down this thread a bit...

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,281.msg1791.html#msg1791
Brian.

Offline OldForter

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »
Following up on the suggestion to try the bars at different RPM's. I did that yesterday and could not find any difference (while riding) on vibration level between 4000 RPM and 6000 RPM. I tested in both 5th and 6th gears. I was feeling the GIVI bars, not the handle bars. I had not felt anything on the handle bars in previous tests.

As I had said before, I have NO extra vibration. The twin always had some vibration.

Obviously there are a lot of differences in experience with the GIVI bars.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »
I loosened up mine yesterday and retorqued everything back down and still have the vibration. Did some highway riding and it was very harsh at 5000 rpm. I usually ride at 100 kph so I'm usually under that 5000 rpm window but it kicks in at 104 and is un-ridable for any amount of time. Not sure what to do at this point.  :187:

badpauly, can you detail how you went about installing the bars, like the order you took when torqueing the bolts? I'm just looking for anything different that I did that may be added to the issue.

Has anyone contacted Givi about the issue? Even if it is an installation issue this is probably caused by their horrible instructions.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
Has anyone contacted Givi about the issue? Even if it is an installation issue this is probably caused by their horrible instructions.

Seriously nothing instructions a bit of which is in Italian  Sx Dx.**

In the UK I bought off a dealer and that is the only legal link I have, I cannot demand anything off Givi. However the dealer has been first class, refunding money and postage, so I think the dealer will be mighty annoyed.

** We love Italy. Since riding our FZ750 to Lake Maggiore 30 years ago we have been back at least every other year. We spent a few weeks there this year. The people, the food, the sights are just glorious. Everyone needs to visit Italy before they die. For this I forgive Givi, as long as I get my money back.
Brian.

Offline Supernam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 04:14:03 AM »
I think it has to be an installation issue, dealer mechanics don't exact take their time with things like we would with our own bike.  Maybe some of us got lucky and happened to tighten/torque things in the right sequence?

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 01:07:42 AM »
What is the use of those two rubber o-rings for the front connector? They always just pop out when tightening everything down and so don't really do anything. I wonder if this may be adding to the issue. I believe they are supposed to be squished in between the parts but mine are definitely not. May try it again with a focus on getting them to stay in there.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
What is the use of those two rubber o-rings for the front connector?

I assumed gaskets to stop water ingress, they are too flimsy to do anything mechanical, aren't they.

I also pondered welding one side and an M6 bolt through the other. I also pondered cutting off the centre link to headstock so vibrations aren't sent straight to the bars.

But since I just sent them back I'll actually be doing none of these.
Brian.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
I just sent an email to Givi. They never had a contact address on their Canadian site so I sent it via the main http://www.givi.it/ site. I'll report back if I hear anything.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage