Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY 1 inch lowering and it's free for everyone.  (Read 14041 times)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
DIY 1 inch lowering and it's free for everyone.
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:21:42 AM »
I didn't lower the front of my bike.There are videos around the internet that show how to slide the forks up in the triple clamps, for free one inch lower in the front.Make sure the bike is supported before loosening any bolts or screws.

I lowered the rear of my bike 1 inch by doing the triangle flip and switch.I hung my bike up,literally,to do this.All you do is remove the three bolts,nuts,and triangles.Then switch sides with the triangles,flip them so the arrows face back and up,then torque the bolts/nuts back down.

I did this before changing tires,so I could get an accurate measurement on the lowering.

Before 22 3/4 inches

Flipped and switched.This is how they are supposed to look afterwards.Note the arrows point to the rear tire.

The end results.21 3/4 inches,maybe a little lower.

Oh and my bike literally strung up.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: DIY 1 inch lowering and it's free for everyone.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
That actually look like a 2" drop. First measurement is 22 3/4" and the second looks like 20 3/4".

Nice write-up, no need to buy anything. I like cheap mods  :062:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:32:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
That actually look like a 2" drop. First measurement is 22 3/4" and the second looks like 20 3/4".

Nice write-up, no need to buy anything. I like cheap mods  :062:

You know,my math skillz failed me.You're right,and that explains why I had the handling problems I had.I guess,if I had lowered the front,everything would have handled fine.  :430:

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
EC, what handling problems did you have, perhaps you could describe them. Then maybe others will see it's wise to lower both ends to maintain steering geometry
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:18:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
EC, what handling problems did you have, perhaps you could describe them. Then maybe others will see it's wise to lower both ends to maintain steering geometry

I had slow turn in to the point that I was using strength to pull the bars back to turn.This was at all speeds.It wasn't simple as just holding the bars,leaning into the turn, and making small corrections.The bike also wanted to wonder, and not stay in a straight line.If you've ever ridden a stretched and raked motorcycle, with a lowered rear,you'll get the same effect.If I had lowered the front to match,I am sure it would have correct this.Raising the rear back up,eliminated all these symptoms,and the bike performs as it did when new.Unfortunately,This bike doesn't have a lot of ground clearance.The gravel roads I ride are not good for lowered bikes.So in my opinion,it's a good deal,if the front is lowered to match,and the rider doesn't stray off paved roads.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:46:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
I had slow turn in to the point that I was using strength to pull the bars back to turn.This was at all speeds.It wasn't simple as just holding the bars,leaning into the turn, and making small corrections.The bike also wanted to wonder, and not stay in a straight line.If you've ever ridden a stretched and raked motorcycle, with a lowered rear,you'll get the same effect.If I had lowered the front to match,I am sure it would have correct this.Raising the rear back up,eliminated all these symptoms,and the bike performs as it did when new.Unfortunately,This bike doesn't have a lot of ground clearance.The gravel roads I ride are not good for lowered bikes.So in my opinion,it's a good deal,if the front is lowered to match,and the rider doesn't stray off paved roads.
So you put the shock plates back to stock   reason I'm asking is I'm thing of going the 705 route when needed  just like to know what I'm getting my self into
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
EscCtrl, thanks for posting that info, now we know definitively  the effect that lowering the rear only has on handling. Pretty much as expected, but useful to have proof. At least the experiment cost you nothing.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 11:47:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
So you put the shock plates back to stock   reason I'm asking is I'm thing of going the 705 route when needed  just like to know what I'm getting my self into

Yes,I put the triangles back in the way they came from the factory.

EscCtrl, thanks for posting that info, now we know definitively  the effect that lowering the rear only has on handling. Pretty much as expected, but useful to have proof. At least the experiment cost you nothing.

No problem.Happy to pass along my learning curves.I just hope my learning curve makes things a little more straight forward for others.I am glad it cost me nothing.I would tell someone, that may be thinking of lowering their bike, to try it.It takes an hour, or so, to do both the front and rear together.Be sure everything is torqued to spec. Then test ride it,of course slowly at first.I rode mine a mile through town,to a large parking lot, and did some test riding before going on roads with high speeds.I am an experienced rider, so I know (or at least I think I do) when things are about to get out of hand.Also,anyone that does this,be sure to check how low the bike is.It may not seem like a large drop,but it is.It can put the oil pan and exhaust in harms way off road.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 11:55:03 PM »
I'm intrigued by your getting a 2 inch drop, when all previous users of this method report around 1.25 inches. I wonder (or wander) why.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »
I'm intrigued by your getting a 2 inch drop, when all previous users of this method report around 1.25 inches. I wonder (or wander) why.

I tried to figure that out myself,when I raised the rear back up.I may have been a little off in my measuring.I did measure in the same place on the board, that I placed on the ground.I used the board to give me a flat place to measure from.I didn't move it while I did the work.It took about 15 minutes to lower the rear.Maybe I had the straps tighter than I thought,to hold the bike up right while I measured.I would say 1.25 inches would be right,more so than 2 inches.At 2 inches,I would have been able to get both feet flat on the ground.At 1.25 inches,I could get the balls of both my feet down.At factory height.I can get just my toes down.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage